Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

Don't disagree with the sentiments of this thread. I feel we have been gifting games to Gibcuc as well. His last three have been bloody awful. Ran under at least three marks last week and basically didn't touch it (3 possessions)! Easier to carry 1 than 3 (Edwards, Aarts (sub), Gibcus)
We’ve been gifting George games for far too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I reckon a combination of factors.

Yes, the club wants Shedda to get to 300 games so has been getting games when in bad form.

The club knows that a firing Shedda is a huge part of any chance of genuinely contending, without Shedda doing his magic we are not as competitive, I suspect the club has been trying desperately to work out how to get him back in form.

He still adds to the side but clearly has had a fair few games where he contributed very little.

We have had a lot of injuries to key players.

The younger brigade are either not ready or have not come on as well as we hoped so there really aren't players forcing Shedda out.

All in all not great but I'm happy to see Shedda get to 300.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
sacrificing wins is a ridiculous stretch. For all the reasons I've been going on about.
Well he hasn’t helped us win any and hasn’t stood up when the opposition gets a run on yet he keeps his place in the side.

If that’s not being prepared to sacrifice games to get a non performing player to a milestone then what is

Reactions: 3 users
13.7 disposals per game is his lowest since 2009 and 8.2 disposals per game behind his peak in 2019.

I reckon a combination of factors.

Yes, the club wants Shedda to get to 300 games so has been getting games when in bad form.

The club knows that a firing Shedda is a huge part of any chance of genuinely contending, without Shedda doing his magic we are not as competitive, I suspect the club has been trying desperately to work out how to get him back in form.

He still adds to the side but clearly has had a fair few games where he contributed very little.

We have had a lot of injuries to key players.

The younger brigade are either not ready or have not come on as well as we hoped so there really aren't players forcing Shedda out.

All in all not great but I'm happy to see Shedda get to 300.

DS
Yeah, pretty much, but I reckon the second point is the most significant.

He had such a sudden drop off this year. There didn’t seem to be a period of decline. He was A grade, then he was a minor contributor. I think the sense is, keep getting him continuity, keep getting him time on ground, keep him touching the footy at the highest level, and maybe he can hit the switch back.

It’s a bit of a gamble. We’re investing (gifting?) a spot in the 22 (for which we don’t really have a genuine upgrade option) for the potential payoff of a couple of A grade games at the pointy end of the season.

You have to balance the potential for upgrade, against the potential for him to suddenly recover form.

I imagine it’s an ongoing discussion at selection every week.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Shedda is a legend of the club. Totally understand the delicateness of the situation and the sensitivity required.

However, he has been underperforming all year. Fire clearly not burning as bright for him and possibly for a number of our other ageing champs.

Tough calls needed now!

Yeah, pretty much, but I reckon the second point is the most significant.

He had such a sudden drop off this year. There didn’t seem to be a period of decline. He was A grade, then he was a minor contributor. I think the sense is, keep getting him continuity, keep getting him time on ground, keep him touching the footy at the highest level, and maybe he can hit the switch back.

It’s a bit of a gamble. We’re investing (gifting?) a spot in the 22 (for which we don’t really have a genuine upgrade option) for the potential payoff of a couple of A grade games at the pointy end of the season.

You have to balance the potential for upgrade, against the potential for him to suddenly recover form.

I imagine it’s an ongoing discussion at selection every week.
We would’ve never discovered Cumberland could take George’s spot till we finally gave up on the headless chook running and gave Cumberland a go
How do we know there’s no one better to fill Edwards position if we don’t give the kids a go?
waiting for Edwards to regain his speed athleticism form is like waiting for the year 2020 to return

Reactions: 4 users
We would’ve never discovered Cumberland could take George’s spot till we finally gave up on the headless chook running and gave Cumberland a go
How do we know there’s no one better to fill Edwards position if we don’t give the kids a go?
waiting for Edwards to regain his speed athleticism form is like waiting for the year 2020 to return
I'd say that's part of the discussion that's being had.

There is a difference between George's contribution and upside, and Shane's.

Cumberland had months of VFL form that demanded a spot. Not sure who is demanding Shane's right now?

I'd say that's part of the discussion that's being had.

There is a difference between George's contribution and upside, and Shane's.

Cumberland had months of VFL form that demanded a spot. Not sure who is demanding Shane's right now?
There isn’t anyone, but can’t waste a good whipping boy, which is what Shane has been here for most of his career, years 2017 - 2021 excepted.

All is not lost our main goal is to carry Edwards to 300 games and we’re right on target
Isnt that why we go to the footy?

Reactions: 1 user