Shane Tuck | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Tuck

Obelix

Tiger Rookie
May 6, 2005
The most concerning thing for me is that he didn't have a playing history of major concussions. So how do you prevent it?

He did get KO'd a couple of times in the boxing ring though didn't he? So maybe that contributed to it.

Reactions: 5 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Thinking about it I would not be surprised if more younger players become to this.
Understand we now have rules to try a prevent high hits. But the players now days are so much bigger, faster and hit harder because of it.

Reactions: 1 users

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
He did get KO'd a couple of times in the boxing ring though didn't he? So maybe that contributed to it.
This is what I’m thinking. They were pretty severe concussions as well

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
The article talks about the length of a career, and the impact of 100's of multiple head hits/minor concussions, being a significant cause.

Reactions: 1 users

Tazzytiger

Tiger Cub
Mar 1, 2008
I really associate with this.. I have been concussed ( knocked out } at least ten times. It started off being a hard hit and ended up being a lot softer and more random. I have always been physical and stuff but now I struggle. It is real and I feel for anyone suffering from it. It is very misunderstood in the general community. Mood swings and Isolation and depression etc

Reactions: 13 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It’s concerning and scary for both today’s athletes and past athletes. Boxing is the highest risk sport IMO, given the amount of cumulative hits required before the biggest hits that occur during the fight.

The simplest, most straightforward advice I’d give today’s athletes is to allow more time for recovery than they feel is necessary.

There’s more to it than that, but if you recover earlier and recover longer, that’s probably the single most practical thing you can do based on current knowledge.

This isn’t a perfect analogy, but you can think of it like tearing a muscle in your leg, except you can’t feel any pain. You just hear a ‘pop’ and notice your leg isn’t quite as good immediately after.

You keep going. It gets worse. Maybe you end up tearing it off the bone, but again you feel no obvious pain. It definitely feels wrong, but you want to play and you’re able to move around good enough.

So you keep going. It gets even worse, affecting every other muscle, tissue, joint, etc.

That’s how most people thought about head knocks in the recent past.

It’s a complicated topic - but the simple, practical thing you can do right now is recover sooner and recover longer.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What a hideous disease CTE is, it so sad that it robbed Tucky of the ability to be a great father, husband, brother and son.
RIP Tucky.

Last edited:

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
I've always hated the idea of the courageous act. Taking one for the team etc. People booing those who pull out of a collision. You are no good to the team if you can't play.
Poison masculinity has cost many people their later lives.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I don't know if helmets make a difference, but if there was a % difference, you have to question why they aren't compulsory. Particularly in junior footy.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I don't know if helmets make a difference, but if there was a % difference, you have to question why they aren't compulsory. Particularly in junior footy.
Medical advice that I've heard is usually not supportive bc helmets do not prevent CTE. The brain still violently oscillates back and forth inside the skull due to the hit. NFL players still have a lot of CTE cases. Light helmets probably could protect against a fractured skull. Be interesting to know why Caleb Daniel wears one? For more confidence to go in hard?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The tricky bit is we are not even really sure what impact CTE has on people in these situations. People suffer from depression and commit suicide for all sorts of reasons.

For example, almost every NFL players examined has CTE to some degree but not all have the impacts. We know so little about the brain in comparison to the rest of the body, it is really hard to say exactly what is happening.
Yes, the amount of protein build up would no doubt play a part in how bad the symptoms are.
The symptoms are memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, anxiety, suicidality, parkinsonism, and, eventually, progressive dementia.
The Brain bank said that Shane had the worst case of the degenerative disorder it had seen, the poor bugger probably copped most of those symptoms.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Helmets protect against cuts and fractures. They don’t protect the brain.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Have Garry Wilson and Nathan Burke had any issues?
Have read some guys had no concussions after wearing a helmet but that doesn’t cover if they copped a serious head knock. Anecdotal doesn’t equate to evidence.
Fact is the brain sits within fluid inside the skull, thus it is free to move within the skull. A helmet doesn’t all of a sudden change the anatomy of the human brain/skull. The brain is still free to move.
have coached a lot of junior footy and have always given parents the option for their kids to wear a helmet, but if asked I always said they don’t protect the brain and they are better off learning how to safely go into a contest. My saying was “don’t put your head where you arse can go”

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Have Garry Wilson and Nathan Burke had any issues?
Griffinator wore a helmet n his last concussion was from a brain oscillation, his boof head didn't even hit anything.
Some players suffer no lingering after effects, some have a few niggles n issues n some like Tucky, Spud, Polly n Smith have massive problems.