Shark Cull | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shark Cull

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
The move by the WA government to bait & cull Great White Sharks is a national disgrace, ignoring the fact that these are endangered species, many other sharks will be caught up in the slaughter. The WA government and Tony Abbott should hang their heads in shame.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Don't see how having a "cull" til April 30 acheives very much. Maybe tell the humans to stay outta the water til then?.........

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
http://www.negpoz.com/things-kill-people-sharks-21-images/

A sobering reminder of the idiocy of this policy.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
hmm, cull great whites because a couple of people have been eaten after venturing into their habit = good
clearing overgrown vegetation to prevent fire and destruction to buildings and people = bad

I'm sure there is logic there somewhere.

Actually, I'd love to see Sea Shepard steam over to WA and block the culling exercise.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Baloo said:
hmm, cull great whites because a couple of people have been eaten after venturing into their habit = good
clearing overgrown vegetation to prevent fire and destruction to buildings and people = bad

I'm sure there is logic there somewhere.

Actually, I'd love to see Sea Shepard steam over to WA and block the culling exercise.

Not sure of the link there baloo but the approval for the cull is a disgrace.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Two crocodiles were shot last night following an attack on kids in the NT. Upon examination neither turned out to be the one police are looking for. It sickens me that people stupidly ignore warnings and deliberately swim in the crocodiles' territory and the crocs pay such a price.

2432728707_promo215031482_316x237_2432728259-pre.jpg

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It's a joke that they say a few breeds over 3 metres inof sharks length can be culled (even though they choose not to use such an offensive term) . I wonder how many which don't fit that criteria will die a slow death after being caught.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
While I am against the killing of sharks, I assume most wouldn't have a problem if any that are killed were sold @ fish'n'chip shops??

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Brodders17 said:
While I am against the killing of sharks, I assume most wouldn't have a problem if any that are killed were sold @ fish'n'chip shops??

How many endangered species end up at the local fish n chip shop? The Great White population has already been decimated yet some seem intent on driving them to extinction. I fail to see how we can take the moral highground on whaling when we are also displaying similar such savagery (mind you the Coalition couldn't give a stuff about whales).

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigertim said:
Don't see how having a "cull" til April 30 acheives very much. Maybe tell the humans to stay outta the water til then?.........

Killing any animal for behaving exactly the way you would expect it to always confounds me. It is a completely juvenile response and not what we should expect from our elected leaders.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Brodders17 said:

I have heard that big sharks aren't so good for eating, either for taste or for healthiness.

Apart from the taste issue, big sharks quite often apparently have higher levels of heavy metals in their bodies, accumulated over a number of years, due to being at the top of the food chain.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Brodders17 said:

Interesting. Is that assumption about most the way you feel about it yourself Brodders? Luring endangered sharks like the great white in a glorified culling spree like this situation isn't justifiable in any way, shape or form to me.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
The Great White population has already been decimated yet some seem intent on driving them to extinction.

And here's the rub. People have been eaten, and anecdotal reports from fishermen are that big shark numbers have noticeably increased.

Not that I'm necessarily in favour of the cull, but the 2011-12 summer was always going to have a lasting effect on the WA economy. The government is feeling the need to be seen to be doing something.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
From the Government website.

CONSERVATION STATUS

Since the late 1990s, the white shark has been fully protected in Australia under Commonwealth and state legislation and is listed under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) Appendix II (CITES, 2004a, 2004b, 2004c).

The white shark is listed as:

Commonwealth: Vulnerable and migratory under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) in 1999.

New South Wales: Vulnerable under Section 5, Part 1, Fisheries Management Act 1994, in 1999. This legislation also contains an exemption for accidental
catches in beach meshing.

Queensland: Protected under Schedule 78(1), Fisheries Act 1994 in 1997. This legislation also contains an exemption for accidental catches
in beach meshing.

South Australia: Protected under Schedule 42, Fisheries Act 1982 in 1998.

Tasmania: Protected under Schedule 135(2), Threatened Species Protection Act 1995, in 2000, Section 135(2), Living Marine Resources Management
Act 1995, in 1998 and declared vulnerable under the Fisheries (General and Fees) Regulations 1996, in 2005.

Victoria: Protected under Schedule 71, Fisheries Act 1995, in 1998.

Western Australia: Listed as rare or likely to become extinct under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife Conservation Act 1950, in 1999 and protected under Schedule 46 of the Fish Resources Management Act 1994, in 1997.