Shark Cull | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shark Cull

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
And here's the rub. People have been eaten, and anecdotal reports from fishermen are that big shark numbers have noticeably increased.

Not that I'm necessarily in favour of the cull, but the 2011-12 summer was always going to have a lasting effect on the WA economy. The government is feeling the need to be seen to be doing something.

But the approach is counterintuitive. Species are listed as threatened generally because of population decline. To now say great white numbers are apparently increasing ( the key goal in threatened species recovery programs) so we need to start culling is completed absurd.

Imagine if tiger populations start to recovery. Do we then start to cull because people being killed also increases? And don't compare the two case literally because some major differences between the animals themselves and their habits.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
And here's the rub. People have been eaten, and anecdotal reports from fishermen are that big shark numbers have noticeably increased.

Not that I'm necessarily in favour of the cull, but the 2011-12 summer was always going to have a lasting effect on the WA economy. The government is feeling the need to be seen to be doing something.

I think this issue has been beaten up by the Government as it tries to hide from the fact that we have just been through the biggest economic boom the state has ever seen, yet we are massively in debt.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
WesternTiger said:
But the approach is counterintuitive. Species are listed as threatened generally because of population decline. To now say great white numbers are apparently increasing ( the key goal in threatened species recovery programs) so we need to start culling is completed absurd.

Imagine if tiger populations start to recovery. Do we then start to cull because people being killed also increases? And don't compare the two case literally because some major differences between the animals themselves and their habits.

Brings to mind Bart Cummings' question to inspectors who informed him there were too many flies at his stables... "How many should I have?"

Culling seems a rather unimaginative solution, but it is a solution of sorts. Would WA taxpayers be happy to foot the bill for something more experimental and expensive?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Brings to mind Bart Cummings' question to inspectors who informed him there were too many flies at his stables... "How many should I have?"

Culling seems a rather unimaginative solution, but it is a solution of sorts. Would WA taxpayers be happy to foot the bill for something more experimental and expensive?

A solution to what exactly? Should we also ban palm trees given falling coconuts kill more people than sharks?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
A solution to what exactly? Should we also ban palm trees given falling coconuts kill more people than sharks?

Isn't the coconut thing an urban myth?

Solution to the shark problem. WA govt = Larry Vaughn.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
rosy23 said:
Interesting. Is that assumption about most the way you feel about it yourself Brodders? Luring endangered sharks like the great white in a glorified culling spree like this situation isn't justifiable in any way, shape or form to me.

No, it is based on my perception that most people pay little regard to where their food comes from.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Isn't the coconut thing an urban myth?

Difficult to know the exact numbers but in the Solomon Islands alone, 19 people were admitted to hospital in one year from falling coconuts, 3 had the whole tree fall on them. There's a handful of documented cases on Wiki regarding deaths, certainly enough to be comparable with shark attacks if one takes into account the whole tree falling. But I think the point is a salient one, shark attacks must rank pretty low on the list of people killers. Five a year to be exact, hardly reason to go on some thrill kill.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
But I think the point is a salient one, shark attacks must rank pretty low on the list of people killers. Five a year to be exact, hardly reason to go on some thrill kill.

But it's a hell of a way to go.

Perhaps they should leave the sharks alone and focus on a public education campaign, like with smoking or drink driving. And install signs at the beaches.

shark-attack-warning-sign-080309-lg.jpg

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
But it's a hell of a way to go.

Perhaps they should leave the sharks alone and focus on a public education campaign, like with smoking or drink driving. And install signs at the beaches.

That we can all agree upon.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
south-alligator-river-crocodile-warning-sign.jpg

Crocodile warning signs in far north Qld and the NT. Should be the same on WA beaches. Certainly a preference to mindless slaughtering.

What to make of this opinion?

An Aboriginal corporation representing traditional owners in Kakadu National Park is calling for a review of crocodile management around their communities.

The Gundjeihmi Aboriginal Corporation says the Mirarr people and other traditional owners have managed the land for tens of thousands of years, compared to the Commonwealth's 30 years.

It says the Federal Government must listen to the advice of local people and review crocodile populations and safety concerns.

Corporation spokesman Justin O'Brien says it is only in recent decades that crocodile attacks have become an issue.

He says over-management of the park has led to more crocodile-related incidents.

"Our senior traditional owner Yvonne Margarula has told me she would swim just here at Mula Island billabong when she was a girl in the 1970s and '80s," he said.

"The [crocodile] numbers were low and, importantly ... crocodiles had a fear of humankind.

"Over the past 40-plus years since the protection laws have been in place, all that has changed."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/21109047/police-confirm-death-of-boy-attacked-by-crocodile-in-kakadu-national-park/

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
'Corporation spokesman Justin O'Brien says it is only in recent decades that crocodile attacks have become an issue.'

Based on what exactly?
Seems your belief is we should wipe out all the crocodiles too.
Spiders next? Snakes on the agenda?...

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
What if they kill sharks and yet more people get eaten by ones they missed? Should they wipe them all out?

The stupidity of this angers and infuriates me.

The baits could possibly even be luring in sharks that would never have come in otherwise, thus potentially increasing the risk.

It's reported it took 4 shots to kill the shark. Terrible.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

How many deaths or how many sharks?

Re. Expense $21m would get you a great public education campaign which would certainly have a better outcome. Interestingly $21m would also be significantly more than what the WA Government spent on threatened species conservation programs annually!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
There's clearly some alarmist thinking going on here when it comes to this issue.
No doubt the 'Jaws' effect gets a lot of traction with the media and they report a single shark attack with far more earnest than most deaths which is designed purely to create hysteria.
Shark & crocodile attack stories gain attention. It's referred to as click bait because it draws an emotive response.
The only reason the WA Government wants to be seen to be doing something is to protect the tourist dollar. It's not really about saving lives at all.
If they were serious about saving lives nobody would be allowed to drive cars or climb ladders.
If only those energies and journalistic resource were focussed on more important issues such as educating people about the dangers of our warming environment which will ultimately cost a heck of a lot more lives than the odd shark attack. :blah

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Culling seems a rather unimaginative solution, but it is a solution of sorts.

For it to be a solution, it has to work.