Sharks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sharks

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Too many people who go in at surf beaches who can't recognise a rip. You need to learn a few things before swimming in surf. Of course, if you swim between the flags you are pretty safe, they don't put flags where there is a rip.

DS
Yeah I’m sure I’ve read that no one has ever drowned on Australian beaches when swimming between the flags. Or is that Victorian beaches? Whatever, it’s a very pertinent statistic and sage advice.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Buttock? sounds painful. I used to go prawning in the Swan River as a kid, we were worried about stonefish not sharks then, for some reason.

Shark-pup_by-E.Moothart_web.jpg
I think you are proving Lee's point!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah I’m sure I’ve read that no one has ever drowned on Australian beaches when swimming between the flags. Or is that Victorian beaches? Whatever, it’s a very pertinent statistic and sage advice.

I think that is only Victoria, but the numbers would be very small in other states. The lifesavers are brilliant, my daughter did it for a while, admittedly on a bay beach since we live in Melbourne, but they are volunteers and deserve oodles of respect.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
So 8 deaths due to shark attack in Australia in 2020. In contrast we have an average of 21 deaths by drowning in the ocean each year.

Clearly we should shoot all the oceans.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Tragedy as Victorian man Duncan Craw feared dead in shark attack in South Australia (paywalled)​

A Victorian man on a camping trip to South Australia is believed to have been killed by a shark while snorkelling.

The heartbroken family of Warrnambool man Duncan Craw – who was due to turn 33 today – released a statement on Friday night paying tribute to the much loved husband and father.

Two shark sightings, a badly damaged wetsuit and a pair of fins were discovered in the search for Mr Craw.

Mr Craw was visiting a beach at Port MacDonnell with his family on Thursday when he went missing about 5pm.

Limestone Coast police operations manager Inspector Campbell Hill said snorkelling equipment was discovered with a large Great White shark seen in the same area about 8.30pm Thursday and a second smaller one later in the evening.

The search resumed on Friday at 6.30am with drones, a helicopter and water operation unit from Adelaide leading to the discovery of a wetsuit.

Mr Craw had travelled from Warrnambool with his wife Taylia and young son Levi, who will soon turn three, for a camping trip.

He had been snorkelling when Taylia lost sight of him in the water.

“It’s impossible to adequately describe our grief and shock,” Mr Craw’s family said in the statement.

“We wish this was all a bad dream.

“It’s also impossible to fully explain the hole this will leave behind in the lives of all the relatives and friends who love Duncan.

“He was also the best father to Levi and a beautiful husband and best friend to Tay, his high-school sweetheart.

“He was a cheerful, loving, helpful son. He was a kind and cheeky brother to his sisters.

“He was a fun-loving, mischievous and supportive mate who had a heart of gold.

“We will never forget Duncan and we will make sure his memory lives on.”

Mr Craw worked as an operations manager at an agriculture company. He was passionate about farming and spending time with his family and playing cricket for Woolsthorpe Cricket Club.

“The exact circumstances of Duncan’s disappearance are not yet known but given the recovery of a damaged wetsuit and the sighting of a Great White in the area on Thursday, it looks like a shark was involved,” the family said.

“Duncan loved snorkelling and accepted the dangers he may face in the ocean. He was extremely unlucky this time.

“On behalf of all Duncan’s family we thank all the search and rescue crews, and all the selfless volunteers, for their tireless efforts – and for the care shown by everyone who has offered their help during this awful time.”

Inspector Hill extended his condolences to the Craw family.

“They were visiting the region and sadly went out for what would have been a nice afternoon at the beach on a warm day and it’s unfortunately ended in tragedy,” Inspector Hill said.

“We haven’t recovered any remains at the moment, we have not come across this person and we might not come across this person.

“There are a few remaining areas of interest that we’re looking to explore but the information from the experts at this time is the search will be scaled down and unfortunately it becomes a matter subject to an investigation report to the coroner.

“We owe it to the family to exhaust that avenue before we close the search.”

Local surfer Adrian Howard said his thoughts were with the family.

“I’ve never heard of sharks down here,” Mr Howard said.

“I regularly surf by myself and I’ve never really been scared or worried about sharks.

“It makes me feel anxious and very cautious from now on.”

002301bae7db0b598a2f4ace5b651c29

c1da888bb148e255fa972420c341723b

The SES was on the scene at Port MacDonnell searching for a missing snorkeller on Thursday evening. Picture: Jessica Ball

• Wow

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Shark warning after dead whale washes up on Victorian beach (paywalled)​

A dead whale has washed up on a Victorian beach, sparking a shark warning ahead of a fishing carnival expected to draw hundreds of people to the area this weekend.

The 11-metre sperm whale was reported at the Golden Beach, known locally as Flamingo beach, midway along Gippsland’s Ninety Mile Beach, on Wednesday afternoon.

Emergency authorities warn the carcass could lead to more shark activity in the area over coming days.

“A whale carcass can attract sharks to the area and mean they’re closer to the shore than normal,” authorities warned on Thursday.

Swimmers are urged to avoid the entire length of Golden Beach and 500 metres out to sea.

It comes as the Golden Beach Australia Day Weekend Fishing Carnival prepares to kick off, a regular event that draws hundreds of people to the area.

“We are certainly aware of the whale carcass located in the vicinity ,” event organisers posted on Facebook.

“We would ask that you all heed the advice of the relevant authorities in regards to the whale.”

A Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning spokeswoman said it decided late on Thursday to leave the carcass at the site.

“It’s still there, it will stay there ... unless circumstances change,” she said.

“Due to where it is, it’s quite remote, so to get a machine or anything in there to move it would actually mean kilometres of tracking big heavy machinery on the beach, which causes a lot of damage, which we don’t like to do.”

Swimmers are urged to steer clear. Picture: Loch Sport Fishing Association Facebook page.
Swimmers are urged to steer clear. Picture: Loch Sport Fishing Association Facebook page.

Given the beach is not patrolled, water users are reminded to take responsibility for their actions by keeping informed of the situation.

Whale remains are protected by law and must not be interfered with by members of the public.

Pathogens from the whale carcass can also be harmful to humans.

It is an offence under the Wildlife Act to get close to a whale and to take or possess parts of a dead whale.

Shark sightings should be reported by calling triple-0.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Has there been more attacks than usual this year Lee?
2021 was pretty quiet until now. There was the Swan River attack in Perth last week. And an attack on an American uni student off St. Kitts in the Caribbean with not much information coming out (protecting tourism). Not sure whether she lived or not. (Edit: victim survived with left leg amputated above the knee)

What's interesting about this one is locals saying the area isn't known for sharks, yet searchers spotted two great whites which are exceedingly rare according to shark researchers.

I guess I've been fairly strong on protecting the public but when people seek out remote spots like this which are exposed to the open ocean, not much can be done if their number comes up.

Port MacDonnell is less than 30km from the Victorian border, so it was close to breaking Victoria's run of 65 years without a (official) fatality.

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Bystanders praised for saving man’s life after Lake Macquarie shark attack

A man will undergo surgery after being bitten by a shark in the waters of Lake Macquarie on Saturday afternoon.

Emergency services were called to Yoorala Road in Lake Macquarie about 6.30pm following reports of a shark attack.

NSW Ambulance paramedics treated a 58-year-old man at the scene for injuries to his left arm. He was later airlifted to John Hunter Hospital, where he will undergo surgery.

Police were told the man was swimming with a woman in the lake when he was bitten. The woman, aged 56, helped pull him to shore.

Inspector Grahame Rathbone, of the NSW Ambulance Service, praised bystanders for applying a makeshift tourniquet before paramedic crews arrived.

“This was potentially lifesaving for the patient,” he said.

“He was conscious and alert while receiving treatment from paramedics. When you get a call to attend a shark attack, you never really know the full extent of the injuries until you get on scene.”

Officers attached to Lake Macquarie Police District are working with NSW Fisheries to identify the shark species involved.

7MAVu82.jpg

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
This Great White has been hanging around Lorne for a while. Was spotted last month too.

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne
This Great White has been hanging around Lorne for a while. Was spotted last month too.

There is no way of knowing if it is the same shark, there were plenty around when the dead whale was beached at Fairhaven so it could be any of a number of them or even a different animal altogether.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There is no way of knowing if it is the same shark, there were plenty around when the dead whale was beached at Fairhaven so it could be any of a number of them or even a different animal altogether.

yeah, the Jaws myth of the malevolent shark consciously stalking humans in a particular area continues.

7 people drowned in Victoria already this year. I know this is a bit a of thread hijack, but if we are talking about how more lives can be saved in the ocean then we need to address these accidental drownings.