The Astronomy Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Astronomy Thread

BustinDustin

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 2, 2011
Earth
Did a search and really couldn't find any thread on this subject.

Wondering if any of the members out there are interested in astronomy? I've always been fascinated by the stars and my first viewing instrument was a pair of 7X35 binoculars, then I moved up to a cheapy tripod, then purchased an 8" Cassergrain, ditched that and have settled for a 12" Dob. and have been lucky enough to fit up with Tele Vue lenses.

You know I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but we are pretty lucky situated down here in the southern hemisphere having a great view of the Milky Way all year round.

December 6 - Viewing from Melbourne - Clear skies tonight, viewing tonight will be Venus to the south west at 20-25 degress and Jupiter in the north east sky at 25-30 degrees. (Hold your fist out to the horizon, one fist would be approx 10 degrees, putting your other fist on top of the other will take you to approx 20 degrees into the sky, and so on). The moon is at 84% waxing.

So does anyone spend time out there in the summer night being bitten by mozzies or endured the cold winter months battling fogged up lenses? Tell us what sort of gear you have.

On the subject of the moon later I'll post an interesting astronomical activity coming soon........

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide
Can't say I am kitted up for best veiwing of the stars.

But I did buy my son a Telescope for Chrissy last year, so me and him would have a hobby together. I do admit we have spent quality time looking up at the skies.

And we did buy an astronomy book, which I did find very interesting, I knew I would enjoy the hobby, as me and my son love watching the astromy type docos on Foxtel.

A very fascinating topic, and a very peaceful hobby.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Yes, I am.

I started a general Science thread a year or so ago but it didn't kick off.

My favourite websites are Spaceweather & NASA Science, especially Heliophysics.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Had an interest as a teenager. Used to cart a 3" refractor up to the vacant land at the top of the street, away from all the lights, with my trusty Tirion Sky Atlas 2000.0. Still have all my old books, like the fabulous Burnham's Celestial Handbooks. Approx. once a year, I'll make an effort to observe phenomena that rates a mention in the dailies.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
U2Tigers said:
Can't say I am kitted up for best veiwing of the stars.

But I did buy my son a Telescope for Chrissy last year, so me and him would have a hobby together. I do admit we have spent quality time looking up at the skies.

And we did buy an astronomy book, which I did find very interesting, I knew I would enjoy the hobby, as me and my son love watching the astromy type docos on Foxtel.

A very fascinating topic, and a very peaceful hobby.

Interesting. My son and his grandfather have done similar.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
NASA Science
Dec 5, 2011
NASA's Kepler mission has confirmed its first planet in the "habitable zone" of a distant sun-like star.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/05dec_firstplanet/

The newly confirmed planet, Kepler-22b, is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth. Scientists don't yet know if Kepler-22b has a predominantly rocky, gaseous or liquid composition, but its discovery is a step closer to finding Earth-like planets

dukeos

Tiger Rookie
Jun 15, 2004
What a coincidence. I have just spent a couple of days researching telescopes, and today purchased a Skywatcher 6" Dobsonian (I think) for my daughter.

Would have loved to pick your brains about which was best ect. Wanted to get an Orion XT6, but couldnt find one in Aus, and shipping from US was huge.

She is only 9, and I tried to coax her into a terestrial/celestial model, but she was convinced only wanted to view the heavens. Looking forward to starting

with her after Christmas. I will be sure needing some pointers and advice. Already liking the knuckle degree theory.

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide
just to add the telescope I have was from Australian Geographic shop.

Its a Celestron - Astromaster 70.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
BustinDustin said:
So does anyone spend time out there in the summer night being bitten by mozzies or endured the cold winter months battling fogged up lenses? Tell us what sort of gear you have.

I used to do this 20 years ago with my old telescope, but I was more interested in looking for planets. Venus and maybe Mars are easy to see now, but I wish I could see Mercury, Jupiter and beyond. ;D

Meteors and comets are also interesting to look at as I still remember seeing Halley's in 1986.

My big hope is to see a total eclipse again (last time was as a naive 9 year old kid in 1976). Speaking of naivety, I still laugh at myself being sh!t scared when hearing that Skylab was going to crash into Australia in June 1979. ;D

BustinDustin

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 2, 2011
Earth
Phantom said:
My favourite websites are Spaceweather & NASA Science, especially Heliophysics.

Yes good sources for information.

Check out: http://epod.usra.edu/blog/constellation/ some great astrophotography and I also like the 'picture of the day' - shown on the main page.

This is also one of my beauties: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/region.cgi?country=Australia&region=Victoria - tracking the ISS - International Space Station - I've heard neighbours thinking it was a UFO when it came over - I really had to laugh and never told them what it was couldn't be bothered sticking my neck over.

Another useful tool I love is Stellarium - easily downloaded and is a real time program that show the skies - once loaded just set the location to Melbourne or your current location of your choice. I spend hours on it and then go out star hopping and trying to find nebulars and star clusters.

dukeos said:
What a coincidence. I have just spent a couple of days researching telescopes, and today purchased a Skywatcher 6" Dobsonian (I think) for my daughter.

Would have loved to pick your brains about which was best ect. Wanted to get an Orion XT6, but couldnt find one in Aus, and shipping from US was huge.

She is only 9, and I tried to coax her into a terestrial/celestial model, but she was convinced only wanted to view the heavens. Looking forward to starting

with her after Christmas. I will be sure needing some pointers and advice. Already liking the knuckle degree theory.

Superb choice dukeos, vey easy to manouvre in and out of the house, make sure it is covered with an old bed sheet to eliminate any dust getting to the mirror and oh spray insect surface spray on the area where the scope will be sitting idle BEFORE you place the scope there. Make sure no spray are extinguished in that area that is scented/insecticide spray because IT WILL get into your primary mirror. Dobs are a great bang for your buck.

TigerForce said:
Venus and maybe Mars are easy to see now, but I wish I could see Mercury, Jupiter and beyond. ;D

They are fascinating aren't they? Venus stands out like the proverbial and easy to see with the naked eye. In a 6" dob it would look like a small sun being the second closest planet to the sun it will vaporise a human trying to enter its atmosphere.

U2Tigers said:
just to add the telescope I have was from Australian Geographic shop.

Its a Celestron - Astromaster 70.

Doesn't matter what the brand is as long it serves its purpose and you are satisfied and most important it's easy to transport in & out of the house and to star parties you're on the right track.

Starting off is easy, dress for the elements, don't forget the mozzie repellant and starting is as easy as using a pair of binoculars.

Clear skies tonight again, make the most of it! Same observations tonight follow my first post (on the top of this thread) Venus & Jupiter stand out with the naked eye.

I noticed the advertisement banners on the top of the webpage was advertising for OZscopes what a coicidence!

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
35 yrs ago I bought a Celestron 8" reflector that cost my whole adolescence savings. This great telescope enabled me to view some of the most famous astronomical objects in the sky.

Many a cold night was spent out in the backyard just gazing away in awe.

Sadly life took me away from a truly wonderful pastime, good luck and viewing to those still at it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's better and clearer for those who live in regional areas as they have no city or suburban street lights to block the sky view.

BustinDustin

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 2, 2011
Earth
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
35 yrs ago I bought a Celestron 8" reflector that cost my whole adolescence savings. This great telescope enabled me to view some of the most famous astronomical objects in the sky.

Fascinating isn't it viewing an object knowing it is hundreds of light years away but feels so close viewing through the eyepiece. It scary sometimes.

TigerForce said:
It's better and clearer for those who live in regional areas as they have no city or suburban street lights to block the sky view.

Ooooooh yeah regional and outback amateur astronomers are in prime viewing areas. The Orion constellation out there reminds me of the Broadway lights and the Orion Nebula stand out all white and fuzzy with the naked eye, absolutely awesome. Us city folks have to battle with the city glow and a full moon added to that is like a 'washout', no point setting up it's really hard to see.

TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE - DECEMBER 10/11.

A total lunar eclipse will take place around midnight (at its peak) AEST on December 10 2011. No telescopes required anyone can view it with the naked eye with no harmful effects.

What is a lunar eclipse? It where the shadow of the earth is cast upon the moon and the moon turns red, well not blood red, it'll have tinge of red. The eclipse is visible anywhere in Australia including in Asia.

Here is a viewing guide link: http://scienceillustrated.com.au/blog/in-the-mag/total-lunar-eclipse-guide-december-2011/

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
BustinDustin said:
Ooooooh yeah regional and outback amateur astronomers are in prime viewing areas. The Orion constellation out there reminds me of the Broadway lights and the Orion Nebula stand out all white and fuzzy with the naked eye, absolutely awesome. Us city folks have to battle with the city glow and a full moon added to that is like a 'washout', no point setting up it's really hard to see.
I always wondered why we can't see a new moon (at least a vague silhouette of it)?

BustinDustin

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 2, 2011
Earth
You can just see the tinge of light around the circumference of the moon. Picture holding a tennis ball in front of a bright light, you are the earth, the ball is the moon and the bright light is the sun you can imitate the same phases of the moon when you move the ball in an orbit.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
I always wondered why we can't see a new moon (at least a vague silhouette of it)?

The moon's between the earth and the sun at that point. The illuminated side of the moon is facing away from us, and the 'dark side' is too dim to be visible.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The moon's between the earth and the sun at that point. The illuminated side of the moon is facing away from us, and the 'dark side' is too dim to be visible.

Even with a telescope?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
An excellent Youtube of the Total Lunar Eclipse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIeUYKll2o

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Even with a telescope?

Yes, because the moon doesn't emit any light of its own; it only reflects light. You couldn't see it even with this.

subaru_big.jpg

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I've often though about buying a telescope but never got around to it. Too confusing.

We are blessed with clear skies and lack of urban light here....and silence. I love to sit out and gaze in to space. So peaceful and relaxing. There are always things happening.

The Southern Cross is special to me when my kids have been o/s long term. I look at it before I go to bed wondering what the skies are like wherever in the world they are and when they'll be back under the Southern Cross again.