Show us how much you care | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Show us how much you care

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
7:28:20 PM Thu 8 May, 2003
Tony Greenberg

Be warned – you are about to read some ‘dirty’ words . . . and some even dirtier figures!

If you are a genuine Richmond supporter – just like me – you will hate what’s coming up here.

It will shock and disturb you. Ultimately, however, I hope it will move you to take positive action.

I can assure you that this information really makes my skin crawl. It angers me immensely, but there’s no escaping the cold, hard facts . . .

Richmond’s membership numbers for the 2003 season are diabolical. We are getting slaughtered in the membership race by our arch rivals in Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon. Hawthorn also is a long way in front of us, while other Victorian clubs such as Geelong and St Kilda have edged ahead. That’s enough to make you sick in the stomach, isn’t it?

Here are the membership dirty figures as they stand right now.

The top four Victorian clubs are: Collingwood with 38,000-plus; Carlton on 31,000-plus; Essendon 31,000-plus and Hawthorn 29,000.

And where are the mighty Tigers? Sadly, we are languishing in 7th place out of the 10 Victorian teams (only Melbourne, the Kangaroos and the Bulldogs are behind us) with just over 22,000 members. Suffice to say, we are getting walloped big time in the all-important membership area.

In monetary terms (even for a basic club membership), that puts Collingwood about $1.7 million dollars ahead of us! Staggering, but unfortunately true . . .

The upshot is that when it comes to player trading time at the end of this season, we will not be in a position to compete against the likes of Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Hawthorn for any available quality talent because we simply will not have the financial resources.

They win – we lose . . . don’t you hate that (I know I certainly do).

Now, you’re probably asking yourself why is ‘Crowey’ telling us all this bad news.

Well, here’s why . . .

It is because of the incredible faith I have in Richmond supporters that has been built up over my 60-year passionate love affair with the Tigers.

It is because of my sincere belief that true Richmond people genuinely care about the Club.

It is because of what the Yellow and Black faithful have achieved over the years. Their unstinting loyalty; their great passion; their undying optimism; their willingness to hang in through the tough times, the disappointments and the frustrations.

And, most of all, it’s because of my absolute belief that when the chips are really down, fair dinkum Tigers stand up to be counted!

The most inspiring example in my memory is how those faithful Richmond people rallied to the cause during the dark, dangerous days of 1990 when we were an ‘endangered species’.

Enter the ‘Save Our Skins’ campaign . . .

The Richmond Football Club was poised on the brink of extinction until tens of thousands of Tiger diehards stood up in unison and shouted: “No one will ever take my football club away from me”!

I know that the caring, the passion, the desire to live and fight on that those true Richmond people exhibited back then, is still strongly present today among members of the Tiger faith. And, believe me, those qualities are needed because the chips are down again . . .

Richmond is blessed with a massive, passionate, loyal supporter base. But right now, the Club needs those supporters to sign up as members. We ask you to look into your Yellow and Black hearts and ask yourselves if you want to give our enemies – Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton – a $1 million-plus head start in this year’s race for success.

Please show us how much you care. Let’s make sure we level up the playing field. It’s certainly not too late this year to significantly turn around our membership fortunes.

Importantly, even though we’re six rounds into the season, there’s still extremely good value in taking out a Tiger membership. We have a lot of home games left for the year and, I reckon you’ll agree that our boys are providing pretty good value for money at the moment with the way they’re going about their business each week.

I can’t stress enough just how crucial it is for you to come to the rescue again in the Club’s ‘hour of need’. By purchasing a 2003 membership, you will be going a long way to ensuring the Tigers’ long-term viability as a genuine force in the AFL.

If you share that desire for success as passionately as I believe you do, then please renew your vow to the Richmond Football Club in the most meaningful possible way.

Become a true Tiger . . . become a proud RFC member. Call 1300 136 605 now!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I prefer Tony's us against them approach by miles to the way Greg Miller spoke in the Mike Sheehan interview earlier on.

I would hope this article got the coverage in the HeraldSun that Greg's did.

I spoke to Tony on the phone about this recently. People I speak to who haven't re-signed say they will wait and see how the club performs rather than just believe it's going to happen because they tell us it will.
Fair enough, though I don't like it much.
We've been told things for years that have never come to fruition.

Julz, I'd try and convince any Tiger person I come across to join up, but I'd never judge anyone who hasn't signed up. Situations vary.

All we can do is try and spread the word that OUR club needs members.

Go Tiges!

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Rosy,

I agree each every one us has there own reasons to become a member or not. However I think it would be good to know just for interests sake, the percentage of the users of this site that are actually members. By setting a poll it remains anonymous but gives us an idea of the percentages.

Sorry, I don't know how to start a poll so if you think it is worthwhile could you set it up. ???

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I did the poll TT. They are easy to do. Up the top of the page where you select new topic, just select the Poll option instead. Is very straight forward.

I like the anonymous idea. I wouldn't like anyone to think a lynch mob from this site would be after them if they aren't members, ha.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
I must admit I've been shocked at the fall off in our membership and I should also admit to being part of that drop off. Upon moving to NSW the motivation to join dropped just below critical level and I've let it slip.

In light of recent events however I can at least say that I am now a paid up member of the "off the bench" variety. Also, over the next couple of pays I'll sign up the kids. (My wife is Collingwood - and we have an uneasy truce - I can have the kids souls as long as I dont try and convert her).

However, I think we should be careful not to focus too heavily upon memberships and realise that there are many other ways to help the club out.

Buying merchandise is a classic. How many of us buy little gifts for friends kids, our kids friends for birthdays, our own kids at Christmas/birthdays/cos we just want to? Next time consider the $12 teddy bear or $15 dollar beany thru the club. In these cases you were going to spend the money anyway, a least some of it is going to the club and not a coles myer shareholder and you're putting another tiny piece of tigers advertising out into the world.

All in all a good result.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
I moved overseas 3 years ago and have maintained a full membership during that time largely for the reason that were outlined in the article.

I don't think any of us want to go through the save our skins campaign again do we.

I know it is hard for some, but if Carlton can get 31000 we should be able to do better.

I am hoping that Ian CAMPBELLS wealth of International experience will go a long way to turning this around.

I just hope that most realise that to compete at trade time we need everyone on board. Things have started heading in the right direction now lets get behind the club and be part of it.

Go Tigers.

See they even took some advice from this forum and did not include King in the side. That has to be a positive start. (nothing against Kingy, but he hasn't warranted a recall from what I have seen)

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
On the Bench member. If i was in Vic and could get to more games would probably take out a bigger membership. Just glad i can support the club in any way possible.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I just can't believe that anyone who calls themselves a supporter (and has enough money) is not a member. I've been living OS and in NSW since the late 70s and have never once been able to use the membership to get into a game - but I've always kept it up.

If you aren't a member, the club is financially worse off, and is therefore less likely to improve on the field. To then say "I won't become a member unless we improve on the field" is the stuff of bandwagoners and hypocrites. YOU are partly to blame if we don't improve on the field and you haven't parted with any dosh.

Sorry to get on the high-horse.

Go Tiges.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
A lot of us care a lot.

However, the legacy of being a less than successful Club for such a long time is that things, including supporters, are not treated as well as they could be.

I've always had that faith in Richmond supporters, but unfortunately it's taken until now for the Club to realise how poorly it has treated its own and perhaps even taken them for granted.

That the Club is now realising the 'error of its ways', in a great many areas, is a sign that things can only improve. Therefore, with all the changes that have been made and are still taking place within the Club, I think it's safe to say that things are now well and truly going in the right direction.

We may not get instant success, but we are at least on the right track. Personally, I feel a lot more confident now, than at any other time, that things are moving forward, rather than the Club just waiting for success to happen. Which is what I believed was the case previously.

It looks as though the Club has introduced some 'movers and shakers', which makes a huge difference to the results we can expect to see in the future, compared to what we have achieved in the past. And so this is the reason why I believe we are finally going to see some success soon.

It could come around a lot sooner if we had some additional support.

I'm sure that whatever support is possible is appreciated.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I agree Rosy, Crowey's spin hits the mark alot better than Greg Miller's.

Hopefully, people will get the message about how dire things are with our M'ship numbers.

Take out my involvement with the Member's Forum and I will say this - I have seen first hand what the Club is trying to do. MC24, you said it so well they are heading in the right direction, they have seen the errors of their ways. I have investigated (for want of a better term) the Club and found out a lot of things for myself and I believe that WE as a Club are heading the right way. People on this forum don't know me personally but any of my firends would tell you I am a harsh critic and if I didn't obviously believe it I wouldn't be saying it.

For those who have not signed up yet - please do so if you can - the Club need you and more importantly they now realise HOW MUCH.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Koalalill said:
...I am a harsh critic and if I didn't obviously believe it I wouldn't be saying it.

Ditto KL. Wouldn't have said it either if I didn't believe it.

We weren't wrong before, so why would we be wrong now? 8)

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Last night's promotion on the Footy Show was a success with over 250 memberships sold (or should I say 250 phones given away!!).
We might have sold more if Eddie had put us on earlier and the correct phone number displayed on screen.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Family membership (4 people) + seats, so a fair bit of my hard-earned is going the club's way.

Membership will only increase when people can see a clear (upwards) direction for the club. When we are regularly making the finals and staying competitive (not to mention the odd premiership ;D) we'll skyrocket. Won't happen overnight, but it will happen

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I have had an interstate membership over the last couple of years but I have found it was mainly a club donation as I was unable to get down for any of the 5 home games I was provided as part of the membership.

If I lived in Melbourne I would get a full adult reserved seat membership without question as I would get full use of the membership.

So people, don't take living in Melbourne for granted. Get a membership, go to the games and support the tigers!

trojanis

I'm a llama!
May 9, 2003
I am going to start a chapter of the club in Brisbane after speaking with Neville Crowe during the week

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Gidday trojanis, welcome to P.R.E. :)

Do you mean a Brisbane based supporter group?

There seemed to be a pretty strong Brissie contingent of Tiger supporters at the 2 games I've been to up there.

Adelaide have a strong supporter group too.

Great to see the Tigers so strongly supported around the country.

Feel free to e-mail if we can help you in anyway, advertising on this site etc when you get up and running.

Good luck, Go Tiges.

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
I have been a member of varying sorts for about 7 yrs now, even when I was living in the NT. This year I moved to Melbourne 'for the football season' I tell my friends and have bought a full membership with reserved seats (broke the bank but it is worth it). I think people who live in Melbourne take going to the footy for granted, to me it is one of the highlights of the week to finally be one of those people walking to the 'G' on a weekend to see their beloved Tigers play. It is a dream come true and when you get a win to be sitting in the stands screaming out the Team song and the best catch cry of all 'yellow and black' nearly brings tears to my eyes.

I always think that Richmond missed a great opportunity by not taking advantage of the huge fan base in Tasmania, especially when all the Tassie boys were in the team at the same time, the Gale Brothers, Richo, Harrison, Bondy. Look at what Hawthorn has done down there. I am originally from Tassie and there are a lot of supporters that I know of who are not members. In previous years I have given their names to the club but I just think the club could have done more, but no good crying over spilt milk!