Small forward crisis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Small forward crisis

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Weve had nothing from our small forwards all year really well especially since the restart.

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Used to be our strength but right now it's a weakness.
How can the ball be i50 that much with two of the best contested marks in the game & yet our small forwards barely fired a shot on a day that should have suited?
No goals between any of them & barely any tackles i50?

Needs addressing fast..
Dimma’s love child Rioli keeps getting games despite being poor all this year - he is just too casual with the ball, which is hard to understand given he is hardly getting much of it. Needs to be dropped and not return until the manic energy is rediscovered.
But the elephant in the room is Dusty. Is literally disinterested for much of the game, and at worst undisciplined when the ball refuses to to be handed to him on a plate. His indulgent late bump on Rampe in the final minutes could have cost us the game. He currently applies little if any defensive pressure and will only tackle if forced to at centre bounces. The opposition are loving his casual corralling and bruise free approach. Obviously the ribs are still an issue but his state of mind is a bigger one imo.
Dimma gave up coaching Dusty years ago and he is now starting to pick and choose his efforts in games, not a great example today in the absence of many of our leaders.
I think they need to keep turning over players who are down on form or not putting in 100%. And yes, that includes Martin.

Reactions: 3 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Problem is we might have let the wrong one go

Always easier with hindsight , and it appeared to be the right decision last year ,

But if Butler was available he gets picked I reckon , funny how it works out

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Higglet may be suffering from his op in terms of conditioning. Looks underdone. Was gasping for breath in the last, that may be why he looked slow to some. The link-up pack-play is not happening amongst the mosquito fleet. Maybe Butler was more integral to that than we knew? It was Rioli-Castagna-Butler-Lambert and then Higglet joined in too. Jack's ability to see and read and adapt meant he could work off the fast ball movement too. At it's best they would all be involved quick chains of handballs, knock-ons and keep rolling so a couple of them may have had 2-3 involvements in a single play. JR and Dusty would clean it up sometimes at the end. That is gone. Each playing a solo effort now. You don't see thqt rolling maul where George pats it to Rolls who flicks it to Butler[Aarts] who toes it to Jack.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Used to be our strength but right now it's a weakness.
How can the ball be i50 that much with two of the best contested marks in the game & yet our small forwards barely fired a shot on a day that should have suited?
No goals between any of them & barely any tackles i50?

Needs addressing fast..

Inside 50's tick
Tackling FAIL
Pressure FAIL
Rioli Castagna and even Jack fed off pressure, its gone..

Bizzbizz

Tiger Rookie
Jul 13, 2015
Butler was the most talented of our smalls but didn’t chase or tackle as much as the others

I’d take butler and Lloyd and even aarts over lazy Rioli every day

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Reckon Higgins is a bit of an issue as well. For a small player he seems a bit slow and really struggles to apply pressure. It should be part of his A game but it’s not.
What if I told you he had the most pressure points for the entire team today,

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Remember Butler got delisted and has cleaned out his locker then we had a reprieve, probably in a bid to keep dusty we went cheap rather than with a mid aged player.
He responded under that circumstance, won a premiership, but faded immediately afterwards. Im going to guess he'll do the same at the Saints.

As for our smalls, yes. They're way off the pace. I wonder if our new forwards coach is doing something different and it's not working yet. I wonder if the 32 players in our forward line didn't help.

I know they'll come good again. Just not sure which three it'll be.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Rioli is definitely the weakest link - has to go & wake up.

I would try something a bit different & bring in Markov & put more responsibility on Aarts, Bolton & Castagna to provide the pressure

Yep, sounds like a plan, especially with the flooding going on at the moment. Speed and possibly the ability to mark or lead into space (if there is any) could be what we need.

We have to try and mix it up a bit because what we are doing now is not working. Plenty of inside 50s and hardly any goals.

DS

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
A lot of blame on Rioli, yet all the other smalls are out of form at the same time.
Coincidence?
No multiple tackles that eventually spill free?
Playing at a bus park instead of a forward line?
Is it coincidence again?

Time to tweak the system and wait.
We started well, had some slick ball movement and pressure. Swans have a very capable back 11.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
if our small forwards can't apply pressure and get involved on a wet day something ain't right.

Rioli needs another spell, Castagne at least tried so gets one more chance

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There's bound to be a lot less room for our smalls when teams are flooding back. Getting caught quicker because there's less holes to run through. More people at the drop of the ball. Not being able to play with the space they are used too would be frustrating, and a frustrated footballer never plays his best.

Not surely it's entirely their fault right now.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I am also concerned about forward personnel after this year. Lynch only one I would mark as being certain to be good enough to hold a spot. Despartely need small forwards to recapture form and to find potential challengers for the incumbents.