Small forward crisis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Small forward crisis

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
For all small forwards not to be working, and that includes Arts and Higgins (what is our average score again in 2020?), its both form and more importantly system. We aren't generating space and we can't grind them. The lack of tackles seems odd though - even with the larger numbers behind the ball and therefore the "keepings off" effect I would expect more tackles in crowded conditions.

How about Stack, Markov and Bolton in the forward line with Jack and Tom. Go for raw speed and individuality in the small positions.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
its crazy that this is a massive problem of ours. For the record, I was against Butler being traded. I always thought he had the most talent of the lot, but had issues with workrate... something that can be fixed with the right motivation.

Reactions: 1 user

dmc

Kick it long and direct!
Feb 5, 2004
Ohio, USA
Very few teams are playing well right now. I think we'll get better but would want to get a hurry on.

Reactions: 1 users

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
its crazy that this is a massive problem of ours. For the record, I was against Butler being traded. I always thought he had the most talent of the lot, but had issues with workrate... something that can be fixed with the right motivation.

Butler deserved to be traded.
1) He was in a form slump which put him behind a fair few others
2) He is a good enough player to get a game elsewhere and make his name again

Regardless this season we could definitely use him. Still - I feel its a systemic issue for us and he wouldn't be playing as well for us as he is now for the Saints.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Definitely a system issue. No coincidence that they all seem to be out of form. That said - we look incredibly slow down there currently (Jack, Lynch, Rioli).

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Definitely a system issue. No coincidence that they all seem to be out of form. That said - we look incredibly slow down there currently (Jack, Lynch, Rioli).

Add Higgins too
Add Graham too
Add McIntosh too.

We have gone from a Porsche 928 to Fiat 500.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Up in Qld can the boys start full team training again or is it still in smaller groups?

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Yep I’ve been a fan of dan but he was awful , zero tackles will most certainly have him dropped. I’ve had a long held belief that small forwards generally have a short footy life cycle , few go on to distinguished careers , agree that Higgo is more a rover than small forward and is undoubtedly pulling his weight . Bolton showed some great traits for a mid , pity he faded after an outstanding first half. Looks a lot like Freo Walters in full flight
I’d consider Markov also
In 2019 in the early rounds when the Big Four were missing, we saw a number of players-- Edwards, Lynch & Grimes in particular --elevate their games. In 2020, during an even more extensive injury/player absence period, a player like Dan, who is close to 100 games in a team with a number of inexperienced players, needs to show the way.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Up in Qld can the boys start full team training again or is it still in smaller groups?

I was actually wondering this yesterday. If they are allowed to shave each other's heads and whatever else, surely they can share the same ball and tackle each other as a group? But then again, a lot of things don't make a lot of sense in the AFL in these current times. I also noticed the players didn't arm each other for the team song whereas they did last week. Obviously got a slap on the wrist . That *smile* me too.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In my view they are playing "system" a little too much. No attacking dangerous play at the feet of the talls. Something NQR might be a coaching issue. It seemed as though Rioli would not leave his opponent.

He did look completely disorientated and confused.

I saw the same look on my dads face when i took him to Ikea once.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tony_montana

Tiger Rookie
Aug 15, 2018
It may not be the small fwds, it may be that Jack, Dusty and Tom arent running hard enough making it impossible for the small fwds to lay tackles? Hard to tell from the TV, but Jack and Dusty have been labouring defensively to put it nicely!

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Bolton is showing that he can make the transition to midfield in a way that George & Rioli haven't.
That makes those other two less valuable. Both would be on the board as trade options at seasons end.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Bolton is showing that he can make the transition to midfield in a way that George & Rioli haven't.
That makes those other two less valuable. Both would be on the board as trade options at seasons end.

And Kane Lambert thinks so too :D said that Shai is the man to watch on the the new hour long Tigertime podcast on SEN tonight.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I can’t find the Baker boy thread so I’ll just throw this out here , I certainly don’t want to fix what’s not broken, however even though we are travelling along pretty well ,outside the fact there’s a few stars Out of the 22 atm, however I think the forward half needs a little spark, a little pizazz, again I’m not going to drag the Baker boy out of the back half where he has been superb, however I believe given the chance he would quickly become our best small forward , outstanding smarts and courage, great hands for his size alongside a good vertical, deadly on both sides and very very clean, may lack the elite speed of most gun small forwards, however his still pretty quick with top notch agility. In saying that yeah leave him at half back/ middle

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I can’t find the Baker boy thread so I’ll just throw this out here , I certainly don’t want to fix what’s not broken, however even though we are travelling along pretty well ,outside the fact there’s a few stars Out of the 22 atm, however I think the forward half needs a little spark, a little pizazz, again I’m not going to drag the Baker boy out of the back half where he has been superb, however I believe given the chance he would quickly become our best small forward , outstanding smarts and courage, great hands for his size alongside a good vertical, deadly on both sides and very very clean, may lack the elite speed of most gun small forwards, however his still pretty quick with top notch agility. In saying that yeah leave him at half back/ middle
I like that idea

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Don't mind this. Particularly with Houli to come back and Dimma seemingly keen to keep Balta in when Astbury returns. Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Balta, Astbury, Short, Houli, Baker is probably one too many.

Another solution may be Edwards (if he plays) to play permanent forward, as the backline is stacked and Bolton may have taken his midfield minutes.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Don't mind this. Particularly with Houli to come back and Dimma seemingly keen to keep Balta in when Astbury returns. Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Balta, Astbury, Short, Houli, Baker is probably one too many.

Another solution may be Edwards (if he plays) to play permanent forward, as the backline is stacked and Bolton may have taken his midfield minutes.
I reckon we may need Shedda through the middle Kev, in saying that he’d be a bit short of a gallop at first I’d imagine, Shedda is a bit unique in our team as he is one of the few who can impact back, middle an forward , in saying that I like him forward to Kev

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I thought he was bloody good there before they shifted him out. Skilled and knows where they are as they say

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I've posted about this elsewhere. Baker would probably be excellent as a SF due to his smarts and all the valid reasons Mr.B gave, I've said the same. The trouble is that he we would be chasing our tails. He would be trying to make up for the goals we'd give away down back without him there. My idea is to move Shorty to a wing - but Baker has to stay back.
Edwards will not be match fit so I think he will be needed to bolster our struggling FL initially; I would suggest for either Csatagna or Rioli the way they are playing. As soon as Edwards can find match fitness pre-finals, we start to run him through the midfield.