Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

I read something on social media today... only about a dozen teams have made 4 or more consecutive world cups. quite a select group.

We are one of just 12 nations to contest the last 4 world cups.

Brazil
Germany
Argentina
England
Spain
France
Switzerland
Portugal
Mexico
South Korea
Japan
Australia

Italy missed and are the only previous champions to do so.

Uruguay are also ex champions but they missed out in 2006 .

TigerForce said:
Agree. Who dreamed up this stupid clunky fixturing?

Probably some FIFA pleb who had acquired a brain injury following nearly asphyxiating himself in a top heavy Strippers cleavage after hitting the Cocaine bowl with a tad too much gusto.

ThePercies said:
Should be going straight back to coaching Melb Victory. Get rid of Muscat now..

he'll be going to Europe. probably has a gig lined up already.

Not happy. I reckon he has dogged us.

I think Ange is cashing in his chips while he's on top.
A bad world cup would damage his status and cost him opportunities/$'s at club level.
I'm unhappy about his decision but I can understand it.

Dunno if it's him chasing the cash or saving his reputation, he doesn't come across as that type of bloke. I think he just gave it his all and he think doesn't have enough left carry on in the manner he thinks is needed.

If it was about Ange and his rep, I doubt he would have been so quick to take the focus off his players and bring it onto himself. When the team were getting pilloried in the press Ange always stood up front and centre to take the heat off the team.

Let's just hope Arnold doesn't get the gig because if he does we will wish that we didn't qualify

Baloo said:
Dunno if it's him chasing the cash or saving his reputation, he doesn't come across as that type of bloke. I think he just gave it his all and he think doesn't have enough left carry on in the manner he thinks is needed.

If it was about Ange and his rep, I doubt he would have been so quick to take the focus off his players and bring it onto himself. When the team were getting pilloried in the press Ange always stood up front and centre to take the heat off the team.

Let's just hope Arnold doesn't get the gig because if he does we will wish that we didn't qualify
If Arnold gets the gig we are stuffed. He will take us back to the days of Farina and Arok.

Ian4 said:
he'll be going to Europe. probably has a gig lined up already.

Not happy. I reckon he has dogged us.

Lots of sackings in the EPL. Seats available. Maybe I should apply....

Kaelan said:
Any early or noteworthy names in the picture?
Arnold, Popovic and Muscat are all being talked about. Muscat has got no chance, if they go with an Australian coach it will be someone from NSW :mad:

tigerman said:
Arnold, Popovic and Muscat are all being talked about. Muscat has got no chance, if they go with an Australian coach it will be someone from NSW :mad:
God help us if any of that lot get the job.

tigerman said:
Arnold, Popovic and Muscat are all being talked about.

Arnold has had his go and doesn't deserve a second crack. Poppa and Kev aren't ready. Gambau would have been perfect but he just signed for WSW. the other alternative was Ange's assistant (Ante Milicic), but he also lacks experience. we will have to look overseas.... but considering we will play 1 friendly in March and maybe another 2-3 before Russia, there is just no chance the new coach will be able to implement his philosophy in such a short time.

Personally I think its gonna be Arnold. But he won't get 4 years. They will probably sign him for Russia and the 2019 Asian cup to see how we perform before committing long term for the next world cup cycle.

jb03 said:
Pretty odd decision

By Ange ? - he has been under attack from a group of old ex Socceroos? and from the NSW soccer establishment ? from what I have heard through the media. They have been undermining him for a while now.

I was hoping he would stay but expected him to go.

year of the tiger said:
By Ange ? - he has been under attack from a group of old ex Socceroos? and from the NSW soccer establishment ? from what I have heard through the media. They have been undermining him for a while now.

I was hoping he would stay but expected him to go.

If that is the reason he left then he needs to harden up

Socceroos are in pool C. Not the pool of death but still looks pretty daunting.

They play in the following order
France
Denmark
Peru

Compared to our other Asian qualifiers - we did better than South Korea but both Japan and Saudi are in easier pools than ours.

Why am I so cynical that Russia is in the weakest pool.

Harry said:
Decent pool. Should beat dennark and peru.

Gees I wish I was as optimistic as you - Peru are ranked 10 and Denmark close by ( 11 or 12 I think)

France is in the top 10

Will be tough but much better than last World Cup matches though