Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Harry said:
Decent pool. Should beat dennark and peru.

You think? The old saying is apt here. When you look around and see there is no obvious weakest of the group, it's most likely you.

Baloo said:
You think? The old saying is apt here. When you look around and see there is no obvious weakest of the group, it's most likely you.

We're the minnow list cloggers or that dark horse that can bolt.

TigerForce said:
We're the minnow list cloggers or that dark horse that can bolt.

If we had the team we had in Germany I reckon we'd get through easily. This squad we have now isn't very good.

Baloo said:
If we had the team we had in Germany I reckon we'd get through easily. This squad we have now isn't very good.

True, but interesting to watch. Let's disguise our team with the Italians. Imagine their fury during the summer next year.

Flights in Russia booked today. 3 nights in Moscow, 1 night in Samara (for Australia v Denmark) and 3 nights in St Petersburg.

I can also confirm that I have tickets to Poland v Senegal and Portugal v Morocco.

But I have some mixed emotions... the draw is ok. While we are grouped with 3 teams ranked around the top 10, it's not as bad as Brazil. It'll be hard to progress but not impossible.

As for me, I don't think the Football gods smiled on me when it came to the scheduling. Was planning on going to the 3rd group game but had to pull the pin coz its in Sochi. But that will evaporate quickly if I snag Australia v Denmark tickets in the ballot and get to see Mark Milligan boss Christian Eriksen ;D

Wow who would of thought - Arnold has been offered national job.

Getting ready to back to the dark old ages. The Sydney group got their way.

Baloo said:

That team was better than this lot surely.

That team had Kewell, Viduka plus Timmy C, Kennedy and Bresciano, Cullina, Emerton and Grella.

Kewell, Bresciano and Cahill were midfielders playing off the V Bomber back then were'nt they? Yet they were all scoring threats.

They also had Aloisi as another forward.

Please pardon my ignorance on the current lot but who are the strikers or goal scoring options apart from an aged Cahill, is it Juric?

Do we even really have any that are at all able to impose themselves on a game or reliably hit the goals?

I know Rogic is a talent as is Mooy but they are midfielders arent they?

I find the fox sports report very hard to believe. only a few days ago the FFA announced Mark Bresciano, Stan Lazaridis and Mark Schwarzer on the panel to appoint the new coach and the FFA said they won't be appointing anyone until February.

be that as it may, I said from day 1 I thought Arnold would get the job and must be the overwhelming favourite, especially considering the amount of influence the Sydney Football Mafia has over the sport in this country.

craig said:
Please pardon my ignorance on the current lot but who are the strikers or goal scoring options apart from an aged Cahill, is it Juric?

Do we even really have any that are at all able to impose themselves on a game or reliably hit the goals?

I know Rogic is a talent as is Mooy but they are midfielders arent they?

yep. while I think the squad is far better (and more experienced) than 4 years ago, our achilles heel is the lack of striker options. Juric did score 5 goals in the final stage of qualifiers (equal leader in Asia), but that soda he fluffed against Honduras over there suggests he still lacks the finishing quality.

Bert Van Marwijk is the new Socceroos coach for the world cup. I would say he was the most appropriate choice when you factor in affordability. I'm just disappointed it seems to be for Russia only. BVM has experience in Asia after successfully qualifying Saudi Arabia for the world cup and I would have liked for him to have continued on to the 2019 Asian Cup. Looks like Arnold will be taking over afterwards.

A Brazilian I work with is disappointed we didn't choose Scolari, he said he would have been the perfect coach as a short term proposition.

We will find out soon enough Tigerman!

Not convinced with this announcement.

6 months only.

Excuses already coming out that he hasnt enough time with the group.

Going by recent games not sure he will bring the style that Ange was implementing!

Tigaman said:
Wonder if Bert is a fan of Tim Cahill.

Hope not.

Nomorewaiting said:
Not convinced with this announcement.

6 months only.

Excuses already coming out that he hasnt enough time with the group.

Going by recent games not sure he will bring the style that Ange was implementing!

Ange had a bit of a crack at the appointment, which was very cheeky IMO. I think its a the right appointment given the funds at their disposal, but as I stated above, I wish it included the Asian cup as well. Graham Arnold is an absolute certainty to get the gig after Russia, which would be disappointing. But is clearly next in line in terms of Aussie coaches

The young melb city player Arzani looks an exciting prospect, hopefully picks the Socceroos instead of Iran where he was born.

Harry said:
The young melb city player Arzani looks an exciting prospect, hopefully picks the Socceroos instead of Iran where he was born.

he looks like a gun. just needs to hold his feet better instead of falling over and milking free kicks.

Ian4 said:
he looks like a gun. just needs to hold his feet better instead of falling over and milking free kicks.
Already a better player than Troisi, who falls over every time there is a sudden gust of wind.