Some Dunc News | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Some Dunc News

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
from Realfooty

Future on the line for Kellaway, Waterhouse
August 06 2003

A luckless run with injuries is catching up with Richmond utility Duncan Kellaway, who will contemplate retirement at the end of the season.

The career of enigmatic Fremantle forward Clive Waterhouse is also in doubt after he was ruled out for the season with osteitis pubis.

Kellaway has played three games in 2003 because of hamstring and knee troubles, followed by a severe foot sprain he received in his comeback game against Carlton in round 12.

Richmond's season is almost up just as the 30-year-old is starting to feel fresh.

"It's been a terrible season, really," he said yesterday. "Normally I've had some major injuries and I've bounced back pretty well, but the soft-tissue injuries are a lot more frustrating."

The popular Kellaway, who debuted for the Tigers in 1993 and has played 175 games, wants to play out the season before sitting down with coach Danny Frawley to discuss his future.

Kellaway endured hamstring troubles in the pre-season and then snapped a knee tendon at training just before the season opener against Collingwood. That injury cost him the first 11 games.

"It was related to the knee reconstruction I'd had on that (left) side five years ago, and again, it was very bad timing," he said.

He has played the past two matches, but in a season dogged by bad luck he will not get the chance to build a solid fitness base as Richmond is out of the running for a finals berth.

In contrast to Kellaway's bad luck, his brother Andrew, 27, has played the past 104 games in succession for a total of 121. Andrew is enjoying a fine season despite the Tigers' poor run in 2003..

Waterhouse has played eight matches this season, the most recent against Port Adelaide in round 11 at AAMI Stadium. The No. 1 pick in the 1995 national draft has kicked 171 goals in his 99-game career.

The 29-year-old is contracted to the Dockers until the end of 2004 but is not expected to be part of coach Chris Connolly's plans. Connolly's focus is on developing his talented younger players, which could leave Waterhouse one short of the 100-game milestone. AAP

Kellaway may call it quits
06 August 2003 Herald Sun

A LUCKLESS run with injuries is catching up with Richmond utility Duncan Kellaway, who will contemplate retirement at the end of the AFL season.

Kellaway has played just three games in 2003 because of hamstring and knee troubles, followed by a severe foot sprain he suffered in his comeback game against Carlton in Round 12.

Continuing a year plagued by bad timing, Richmond's season is almost up just as the 30-year-old is starting to feel fresh.

"It's been a terrible season, really," he said.

"Normally I've had some major injuries and I've bounced back pretty well.

"But the soft tissue injuries are a lot more frustrating and you start to question yourself a little bit when you're getting injured.

"You question your contribution to the team and things like that, so it does make you look at the bigger picture a bit more."

The popular Kellaway, who made his debut for the Tigers in 1993 and has played 175 games, wants to play out the season before sitting down with coach Danny Frawley to discuss his future.

Kellaway endured hamstring troubles in the pre-season and then snapped a knee tendon at training just before the season-opener against Collingwood.

That injury cost him the first 11 games.

"It was related to the knee reconstruction I'd had on that (left) side five years ago, and again, it was very bad timing," he said.

"They take the graft from there for the knee reconstruction and for some reason where it (the tendon) had decided to reattach itself, it decided to tear off just the last training session before the first game."

When he did make it back, Kellaway broke a bone in his foot 10 minutes into the game against the Blues and missed the next four games.

He has played the last two matches, but in a season dogged by bad luck he will not get the chance to build up a solid fitness base as Richmond is out of the running for a finals berth.

"With every match I'm going to get a bit of fitness and a bit of touch and a bit of confidence back," he said.

"But it's bad timing. By the last couple of games I'll be coming into some real fitness and hopefully a bit of form and then it will all finish up."

Its about time there is no need for him to even think about it I have done it for him

Here here Laffs. Its a great day in the clubs history that such an ugly scubby footballer is going to retire.
Good luck Dunc!

hey hey settle down people.
a bit of respect is required here.
if more of our players had his devotion to the jumper, discipline to stick to your man, and a heart as big as the mighty G we wouldn't be in the predicament we currently find ourselves. if he does decide to give it away he deserves more respect from some of you in recognising his deeds and loyal service to that proud jumper 175 times..the same jumper you all say you support.
Long Live The Glove !!!

True its not his fault Richmond recruited him....but still at the end of the day he is a skilless hack who should never have got past the amauters

I dont deny he is courageous, but how he duped soo many (RFC people only)for so long amazes me. We are the only club in the league that would of allowed someone with such poor skills rack up 175 games.

Those articles put the words in Dunc's mouth. As false and misleading as some of the productions from Harry's emporium of rigged polls. ;D

Have fun you heartless baggers, but you'd better save a bit of ammo for next season cos Dunc the veteran will still be in a Tiger guernsey making you all eat your words. :D

No decision yet on Duncan's future
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
3:17:34 PM Wed 6 August, 2003

Richmond's Director of Football, Greg Miller, has moved to clarify the situation regarding the playing future of veteran Tiger star Duncan Kellaway.

It was reported this morning that Kellaway, 30, would be contemplating retirement at the end of the 2003 season following a frustrating run with injuries, which have restricted him to just three senior appearances this year.

Miller was keen to assure members of the Yellow and Black faith it was far from certain at this stage that one of the Tigers' favorite sons would hang up his boots.

"It may have surprised a few of our members that Duncan Kellaway spoke to the media this week about some thought of retirement," Miller said.

"The comments he made about feeling that "You question your contribution to the team and things like that, so it does make you look at the bigger picture a bit more", are typical of Duncan's selfless attitude and his love for the Richmond Football Club.

"Duncan feels that somehow he's let the Club down through the bad run of injuries that he's had -- nothing could be further from the truth. He has given his heart and soul for Richmond and there's no-one that more typifies the Tiger spirit than Duncan Kellaway.

"From a club point of view, we'll certainly be giving Duncan every opportunity over the next four weeks. We want to ensure that, ultimately, he makes the decision on his playing future at a time of clear thinking, after weighing up all the factors and having had a full consultation with the senior coach."

Miller said quality players and people like Duncan Kellaway deserved the best possible treatment when the inevitable speculation about retirement arose.

"Duncan is a Richmond champion through and through for everything he's done for this Club, and he is a fantastic fellow.

"We hold him in such great respect here and we'll work through his decision with him," Miller said.

I have beed saying for a while Miller is not the messiah that you ferals think he is and this only confirms it.......yes Kellaway has the heart of a lion but even some of the Iraqi republican guard had courage and look where it got them

Diggler - Laff,
I'm with you.Duncs doesn't have a skill level and it is sad that he played 175 games with the yellow and black in a key role but he's got a heart the size of Punt Road and compared to most of the list he played alongside - in terms of courage there is no competition.

Consise and informative Laffs!
(He has given his heart and soul for Richmond and there's no-one that more typifies the Tiger spirit than Duncan Kellaway.)
Its comments like these that proves too me that Greg Miller, after 9 months at the club, has now got mediocrity ozing out of his nostrils and his crack hole as well!!!
True he has spirit, but he is a dud and we are the only club in the AFL who would of allowed someone with his abymissmal skills to play 175 games.
Ridiculous statements like this prove we have a dismal future indeed ???

Despite having a heart the size of the G, being one of the most courageous players in the league, coming back from numerous serious injuries and basically giving his heart and soul to the Richmond football club for 10 years, it is hard to believe a player with his skills has played 175 games.

Any other club would have delisted him years ago, so thanks for 10 years Dunc, but the time has come to call it a day.

And Diggler and Laff are correct, Miller is obviously losing the plot like the rest of the football department.

And a great judge of footballers you are too DF.......the same DF who thought Kayne Pettifer was the best thing since sliced bread, haha. :rollin

Jiggler Diggler(is that a tea bag) and Laughable Laff, read your comments about Duncs and a few other players. Its probably lucky GOD himself is to busy to play all 22 positions plus fill half a dozen reserves spots to cover injuries. It doesn't look like anything less would make you two happy. Me, I hope Killer returns next year.

Obviously with an alias with mascochist in it your enjoy watching an incompetant unskilled hack masquerading as an AFL footballer ;D

Now, now - why don't you all make yourself a cup of tea, have a smoke, bong, bourbon.............. whatever tickles your fancy, and just relax.

If the man (D.K) had a decent kick on him (IMO his handballing skills are good) he would be right up there with the best (at Richmond that is). Unfortunately he doesn't, and that's pretty much 75% of the game - hence his days are numbered and gone but I for one am proud to have had him at the club.

Duncan Kellaway is a success story. He is a prime example of overcoming limitations and getting the best out of your own abilities. That he could play 175 games with no skill whatsoever to speak of says something about his determination and hunger to succeed.