Stafford Free To Play | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stafford Free To Play

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Richmond ruckman Greg Stafford can now rest easy in the lead-up to round six, after being cleared of two separate charges – striking and misconduct – by the AFL Tribunal on Wednesday night.

In a two-hour exercise, Stafford defended himself for making contact to Peter Everitt’s face - which saw the Hawk ruckman suffer a fractured cheekbone - and Nick Stone’s head, an incident that concussed the young Hawthorn player.

The tribunal was satisfied in both cases that Stafford had not committed a reckless, negligent or intentional act.

The former Sydney Swan pleaded not guilty to both cases and later said it was a “fair hearing with a fair finding”. He is now free to play for the Tigers as they attempt to win their fifth straight match - against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium this Saturday night.

Stafford defended the striking charge first. He said he felt for Everitt, but that his sole intention had been to contest the ball.

“I jumped a little bit earlier than him, and as a result contact was made,” Stafford said.

“It was a complete and utter accident. My focus was on the ball and that was all it was.”

The incident occurred early in the second quarter of last Saturday’s remarkable match between the two clubs. With his team eight goals up Everitt was forced to leave the field. The Hawks lost the game by 20 points.

In a bizarre twist to the striking case, Essendon ruck coach Simon Madden - the game’s most experience ruckman - assisted Richmond in its defence. The Bombers meet Richmond in just two weeks.

Madden told the tribunal that while Stafford’s action was not “copy book”, he believed it constituted a “legitimate jump at the ball” and saw “nothing untoward” in the ensuing contact.

Field umpire Shaun Ryan did not see the contact on the day, but laid a report after viewing the video footage on Monday. Emergency umpire Bryan Sheehan also informed umpire Ryan that Hawks football manager John Hook had pursued the matter with him.

Ryan described the force of Stafford’s arm as “heavy”, and conceded he was remiss not to give a free-kick for what he perceived to be a block.

“I don’t know what his intention was,” he said.

Stafford’s right forearm came across his opponent’s face in a centre bounce rucking contest, as he appeared to manoeuvre Everitt out of the contest with his entire body before eventually palming the ball to a teammate.

Everitt underwent surgery this week and had a black left eye at the hearing. He said he would be sidelined for at least a week.

“I just went up for the ball and pretty much copped a knock to the face,” Everitt told the tribunal.

“I felt it. It was a solid hit. You get it quite a few times in a game of football. But it was a good hit.”

“But there’s going to be accidental hits.”

The tribunal panel, chaired by Brian Collis, QC, found that the second charge involving Stafford was “unfortunate” in that it injured Stone, but that it did not constitute misconduct.

Stone suffered from grade one concussion in the final minutes of the game after falling to the ground before Stafford’s knee contacted the side of his head. Stone was not able to take his kick and was assisted from the ground by trainers.

The young Hawk slipped after feigning a handpass, and Stafford - being only 1.5 metres away from him - was found to have no other option than to fall with him. Stafford said he had attempted to smother the handpass, and while he went to ground off balance, he said he was conscious of landing beside his opponent.

“I don’t think it was a decision. It was a reaction,” Stafford said.

The video report was again laid after umpire Ryan’s video review.

“I don’t believe that Stone slipping over caused Stafford to go to ground. I believe it was an election of player Stafford to go to ground, and an election to go with his knee first,” Ryan said.

Stone could only recall blacking out and later feeling discomfort around the back of his head.

He said he would be available to play this week.