Steve Morris F/S | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Morris F/S

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009
Just read on BF that SEN mentioned Steve Morris son of Kevin has been added to our permission to train list.

Here is a Phantom Draft write up on him.

#49 Richmond - Steve Morris (185cm defender - West Adelaide)

First mature aged draftee to feature in my draft. Morris is a 22 year old defender from the SANFL who has recovered from a knee injury in 2009, he reads the ball really well and helps out as a third man up. He also has excellent speed which makes him a really dangerous rebounding option. As a genuine ball winner, he could push up to the wing and use his speed further up the ground. He can play shorter than what he is. AFL Comparison: Paul Puopolo.

Could be a good addition late in the draft.

gustiger12 said:
sounds like he would be a perfect addition to release Lids to the midfield. Like the idea of a guy with speed, and more speed who can read the ball well.
Looks a good size as well.
072056-steven-morris-west-.jpg

While a worth while prospect, I wouldn't be fathering son him.

Late pick or rookie pick. But the right type to try out. Nothing wrong with getting a look at him over the next two months and getting a jump on next year.

The changes to the father-son rule are good for kids like Morris - we can nominate that we are interested in him and then if no other club bids for him then we can pick him with our last national draft pick.

If we try and get him in the rookie draft then GWS would have first crack under the rule where they get the best ten mature age state league players outside the AFL who have already been through an AFL draft.

Ty Esler said:
The changes to the father-son rule are good for kids like Morris - we can nominate that we are interested in him and then if no other club bids for him then we can pick him with our last national draft pick.

If we try and get him in the rookie draft then GWS would have first crack under the rule where they get the best ten mature age state league players outside the AFL who have already been through an AFL draft.

Yep.

Should be a Tiger the way you say is what I am hearing. Clubs are usually okay with letting kids like this go to the father's club. Should get him with our last pick and is a useful player.

A yes who can forget Kevin Morris streaming off half back Billy Idol haircut scything through the air....wtf??!

tigs2010 said:
Just read on BF that SEN mentioned Steve Morris son of Kevin has been added to our permission to train list.

Here is a Phantom Draft write up on him.

#49 Richmond - Steve Morris (185cm defender - West Adelaide)

First mature aged draftee to feature in my draft. Morris is a 22 year old defender from the SANFL who has recovered from a knee injury in 2009, he reads the ball really well and helps out as a third man up. He also has excellent speed which makes him a really dangerous rebounding option. As a genuine ball winner, he could push up to the wing and use his speed further up the ground. He can play shorter than what he is. AFL Comparison: Paul Puopolo.

Could be a good addition late in the draft.

Great to hear.

I thought Morris should have been placed on our rookie list in his TAC year.

Although I saw him play TAC as a forward, I thought he would have made an excellent smaller back pocket.
He plays taller than his height, marks strongly overhead, reads the game effectively, and kicks well.

Unfortunately, in his final TAC year, his body was showing some signs of the after affects of junior injuries.
This may have made the recruiting department wary of him at that time.
Last I heard, he did have a major injury and had fallen into obscurity.

Great to hear he's recovered and that we are giving him an opportunity.
Hope he does well.

My other recollection is that I didn't think he was 185cm.
Meh, may have grown significantly since his TAC year. Everyone else seems to.

tigs2010 said:

Do clubs have permission to train lists already?

Also got this on him.

Very nice option for Richmond. I remember reading he was invited to train with Richmond as a potential F/S pick, like 3 years ago or something. Completely forgot about it though.

He can definitely play as a lock down defender. I see him as a similar player to Graham Johncock and Paul Puopolo. So can play on the small forwards while also helping out his other defenders by cutting in front of the leading forward, but is a great rebounding option too. He has excellent speed, but more importantly has the vision to use it properly.

The other great thing about him, is that he never goes at anything at half pace. He is tough and hit hards.

I would definitely consider drafting him, and would be very interested in getting him early via a trade with GWS. But obviously Richmond have the advantage now, and I could see you getting him for a 4th rounder.

SANFL reporter Reece Homfray on what he learnt from West Adelaide's 33-point win over the Roosters on Sunday.

1. Steven Morris could be on an AFL list next year.
Not for the first time this season, Morris has cut an opposition side to shreds from half back. He is lightning fast, reads the play perfectly so cuts off several kicks, keeps his man quiet and dashes through the middle. (Think Paul Puopolo from Norwood last year). Had a team-high 27 disposals today and will be right in Magarey Medal voting mid-way through the season.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/what-we-learnt/story-e6frekfl-1226073942668