Stock Market | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stock Market

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
A good start for the market today with the all ords up 235 pts at the moment.Great night on Wall Street with the dow up 936.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
mb64 said:
A good start for the market today with the all ords up 235 pts at the moment.Great night on Wall Street with the dow up 936.

NAB up 9.60% at the minute mb.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
A dirty night on Wall Street would suggest its going to be a bad day on the Aussie Sharemarket.Dow dropped 733pts or just under 8%.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
mb64 said:
In early trade market already down 230 pts,once again we follow the States.

How much of all this do you think is caused by the media these days and their infatuation for negative stories?

With so much information out there....if people keep hearing "recession", "meltdown", "record loss" on radio, TV, in newspapers, on the internet, etc...then I think that has a big say in people running around panicking and selling, and why we are seeing the drastic ups and (more) downs over the last few weeks.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Liverpool said:
How much of all this do you think is caused by the media these days and their infatuation for negative stories?

With so much information out there....if people keep hearing "recession", "meltdown", "record loss" on radio, TV, in newspapers, on the internet, etc...then I think that has a big say in people running around panicking and selling, and why we are seeing the drastic ups and (more) downs over the last few weeks.

You don't think the media has invested interest in pumping the stock market up Livers?

Media reporting has been like a yoyo.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
A good night on Wall Street in the end with the dow finsihing up 400.In early trade the dow was down 400 so big turnaround.Should be a good day on the asx but who knows what will happen tonight in the US.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
You don't think the media has invested interest in pumping the stock market up Livers?
Media reporting has been like a yoyo.

No, I think the media would make their money from selling papers, getting people to watch their TV programs, advertising money from people hitting their webpage, etc and people buy/use this sort of stuff even more when there is a big negative 'doom and gloom' story to catch up on:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/top25-headlines.htm

Past stock market declines came and went because people back in the Depression days or in 1987 didn't have even half the access we have to opinions, feedback, and communication that we do now.
Today, as soon as there is some good news, it is quickly shot down on webpages, newspapers, internet on mobile phones with bad news about impending doom and gloom.
I think the media has had some bearing on the stock market fluctuations that we are seeing at the moment.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
mb64 said:
A good night on Wall Street in the end with the dow finsihing up 400.In early trade the dow was down 400 so big turnaround.Should be a good day on the asx
So much for that prediction,all ords down 43pts today

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Liverpool said:
No, I think the media would make their money from selling papers, getting people to watch their TV programs, advertising money from people hitting their webpage, etc and people buy/use this sort of stuff even more when there is a big negative 'doom and gloom' story to catch up on:

Disagree entirely.
The media make their money from advertising and when the market is falling the first thing to be cut form the major companies is advertising budgets.
Believe you me it's in the media's interests to see the market doing well, not poorly. It's no conspiracy.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Media reporting over last 3 weeks has been pretty funny, 'Black Monday, Happy Tuesday, Woeful Wednesday, Terrific Thursday, Frightful Friday, Yummy Monday, Terrible Tuesday' etc etc, etc.

Where is the scrutiny of Standard and Poors in all this? the so called, conservative, blue-ribbon, rock-solid institutional investment analysing body gave these lier loans the thumbs up, spawning everyone, and I mean everyone, to jump in. I blame them, but have they owned up? Have governments pinged 'em? Have they lost credibility? I don't see it.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Another crap day on the ASX with the all ords down 135pts on the back of the DOW dropping 500 pts overnight. :(

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
Liverpool said:
I think the media has had some bearing on the stock market fluctuations that we are seeing at the moment.

As bad as media reporting is, it has had little impact on what's been happening here.

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
Maybe to institutions like banks ,invetsment houses ,and corporations,the media really dont influence their behaviour as they tend to look beyond the daily fluctuations in the stockmarket ,however I do think the average mum and dad investors ,do get spooked by the media talk.I'm not sure what % of the stock market mum and dads make up ,but I know it has siginificantly increased these past 10-15 years.

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
If the Mum and Dads are going to get spooked I reckon there's been enough to do it without any media hype. You're right that Mums and Dads are a bigger part of the market - not atypical at the top of frothy markets as everyone mistakes rising markets for investment skill. They tend not to be price makers though.

There is a long list of candidates to share accountability for this and I don't see media really have a place on it. Governments, regulators (the SEC and the FSA have not been worth a crumpet quite frankly), bank lending practices (I'm old enough to remember when they actually cared if you had a chance of paying loans back) and investment bankers who were too smart for themselves (although many will still be well ahead at the end of this - you don't have to pay back bonuses) would all be there, not necessarily in that order.

What we've seen should also be put in the context of the basic fact that markets get overbought and oversold - it's an immutable law of investment. There will always be booms and there will always be crashes. The problem with this one is it isn't just an asset price bubble, it involves the unwinding of huge amounts of inappropriate leverage. It has happened before but rarely (and history may yet show never) as badly as this and it's very nature means virtually no-one is untouched.

Other crashes have been effectively countered with big cuts in interest rates but those don't work when no-one's lending. This will take a while to pull out of and when we do things aren't going to look quite the same.

Whilst the standard of media reporting is unquestionably awful, blaming them in any material way for this misses the point really.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm not interested in the stock market so haven't followed this closely but I just got a bank statement for a modest managed trust and found it's almost halved in value since the last quarterly balance. Gee some people must be losing a bit of sleep at the moment.