Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...r-sydney-stack-an-afl-lifeline-ng-b881030755z

OmG this just sooooo not Richmond. It's like we are Haw or something.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
SS’s highlights are terrible. What has he done to ever deserve such a high rep?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Ghost of 29 said:
SS’s highlights are terrible. What has he done to ever deserve such a high rep?

Three very good games for W.A U/18s and A.A selection. Sumich who coaches the State team suggests he's the most talented kid in the pool. I'll take that over some highlights reel.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
Three very good games for W.A U/18s and A.A selection. Sumich who coaches the State team suggests he's the most talented kid in the pool. I'll take that over some highlights reel.

Gets caught a fair bit though, I always felt he lacked a bit of IQ, looks great when it comes off but when it doesn't he looks ordinary. Poor mans Sam Petrevski-Seton.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Gets caught a fair bit though, I always felt he lacked a bit of IQ, looks great when it comes off but when it doesn't he looks ordinary. Poor mans Sam Petrevski-Seton.

SPS is a very average footballer.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Dont Argue said:

Fair enough, but that would suggest he has some decent highlights to choose from. I’m the opposite to you, I will believe what I see over what a state junior coach says.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Reckon a state league coach like so much sees more than the highlights reel.
This is a good approach, highly talented kid with concerns about his application... live with Mrs Dimma Sims and see how he steps up.
I'm sure it's not the only option they are considering but gives the club the information to make the right choice

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Ghost of 29 said:
Fair enough, but that would suggest he has some decent highlights to choose from. I’m the opposite to you, I will believe what I see over what a state junior coach says.

You would have loved Oakley Nichols then!

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Dont Argue said:
Yes. He was a great success. Chosen by Miller from a highlights reel.
What was your point again?
Miller didn't pick him off a highlights reel. ::)
Geeze the urban legends around JON get better by the year.

The thread is interesting nonetheless as it highlights the lack of confidence in the drafting process at the club. Which when considering flops like C Ellis and The vibrant one is understandable to an extent.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
King Kong said:
Bollocks I was at a game that JON played in and Miller was there

I didn't see you or Miller in the highlights package.
Was that you collecting the grass clippings?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I wonder where KB got his info.

"Club legend Kevin Bartlett would later reveal that neither Jackson nor Miller had even seen Oakley-Nichols playing up close and were going off video tape of the junior when they called his name."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/06/the-joy-of-six-afl-draft-debacles

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
bullus_hit said:
Whoa, lucky bully's gone into hibernation or punters would be flat out trying to tear him a new one about now ;D.
Gunna miss bully during the lead up to the draft, always appreciated his thoughts n opinions on the kids coming through and for people like me who don't get to see the youngsters playing it was a bonus to get his thoughts n arguments along with the other junior watchers. Rather than just the opinions of the paid so called experts.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
tigerman said:
I wonder where KB got his info.

"Club legend Kevin Bartlett would later reveal that neither Jackson nor Miller had even seen Oakley-Nichols playing up close and were going off video tape of the junior when they called his name."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/06/the-joy-of-six-afl-draft-debacles

KB got poor info.

All of Casserley, Mitch Clark, Ryder, Josh Kennedy and Andrew Swallow played in the game. I was a big fan of Clark.

Frank wasn’t there but Miller was.

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
King Kong said:
KB got poor info.

All of Casserley, Mitch Clark, Ryder, Josh Kennedy and Andrew Swallow played in the game. I was a big fan of Clark.

Frank wasn’t there but Miller was.

I'm pretty sure KB got his info from Terry Wallace as I've heard him mention before that the club was so underfunded in the football department that JON was recruited on the back of video's of his games and none of the recruiters had seen him play live.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Broders said:
I'm pretty sure KB got his info from Terry Wallace as I've heard him mention before that the club was so underfunded in the football department that JON was recruited on the back of video's of his games and none of the recruiters had seen him play live.

That’d be right old tan lines rewriting history to protect himself. He was the one that insisted we picked an outside runner with pace which didn’t leave us many options. Varcoe, JON and Dempsey from what I recall and we ruled Varcoe out due to his foot injury

Reactions: 1 user