Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
They are truly *smile*.

As Ant pointed out they have moved even further right. Personally I don't think it's because of the election result, its because at their base its who they are.

Hopefully, just like religion, they will be irrelevant in 20-30 years time.
Its going that way. Unfortunately, while it does, its gonna propagate the radicals within the right. As they get marginalised they'll get more destructive. Bumpy times ahead I fear. Sort of seeing it in the USA with the Republicans and their far right factions within and the supporters and destruction they fuel.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I can’t quote the numbers but I read that the polls have them comfortably ahead but of course there is a long way to go. It also has to be remembered that the base for the Labour Party was from an election where they committed their own form of electoral suicide by having Corben as their leader.

Corbyn perhaps? :cool:

Also, there was the "get Brexit done" factor in that election - Labour lost a heap of seats in traditional labour areas because the vote had happened and Labour's policy was incoherent.

A lot of those "Red Wall" seats will flip back now that many have buyer's remorse over Brexit, and even for those that don't the issue is done. Now it's about the economy, environment and the Tories' appalling record on, well, pretty much everything.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Corbyn perhaps? :cool:

Also, there was the "get Brexit done" factor in that election - Labour lost a heap of seats in traditional labour areas because the vote had happened and Labour's policy was incoherent.

A lot of those "Red Wall" seats will flip back now that many have buyer's remorse over Brexit, and even for those that don't the issue is done. Now it's about the economy, environment and the Tories' appalling record on, well, pretty much everything.
Yeah Corbyn

The reality is that despite all the noise made at the fringes the vast majority of people sit somewhere near the middle. If a centre left party moves too far away from there it loses support and the same with a centre right party.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It will still be hard for Labour to win in the UK, they will have to win seats that they haven't won in decades. Plus, they can't win seats in Scotland which they have always relied on to get into government.

As for the notion that the majority of people sit near the centre, the issue there is that the centre moves. Look at Malcolm Fraser, he would be in the ALP these days and was not considered to be on the left of the Libs at the time. Same goes for Whitlam, who, remember, came from the NSW Right.

It isn't who is in government which matters the most, it is where the agenda sits. The so-called "middle" has been moving quickly to the right for decades, policies which were unthinkable decades ago are now common place.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It will still be hard for Labour to win in the UK, they will have to win seats that they haven't won in decades. Plus, they can't win seats in Scotland which they have always relied on to get into government.

As for the notion that the majority of people sit near the centre, the issue there is that the centre moves. Look at Malcolm Fraser, he would be in the ALP these days and was not considered to be on the left of the Libs at the time. Same goes for Whitlam, who, remember, came from the NSW Right.

It isn't who is in government which matters the most, it is where the agenda sits. The so-called "middle" has been moving quickly to the right for decades, policies which were unthinkable decades ago are now common place.

DS
Malcolm Fraser changed as much if not more than the centre changed

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

DS
Why can't they win seats in Scotland?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not sure things are going all that well for Brittany Higgins in the rape trial.
I believe that she was sexually assaulted, not proceeding with the report to the police was her mistake. She allowed herself to be manipulated by the Liberal party who were just weeks away from the 2019 election.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Because the Scottish National Party win all the seats Labour used to win in Scotland.

DS

Agree. Historically, England in total tens to always have a conservative majority. Scotland historically used to have a labour majority but the SNP have almost wiped them out of Scotland. The Tories have never had a strong prescence in Scotland so the power of the SNP is actually a massive positive for the Tories.

The thing Labour will be hoping for is that they will want to ensure that the Tories don't win a majority, if they don't then I can't see many other political groups creating a ruling alliance with the Tories, but Labour can do that with the SNP etc.

I don't believe we will ever see a Labour majority in the UK again. Too many competing parties on the left side of politics that are very strong due to their localized approach.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
F*ck me, this is actually really serious:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-is-about-to-be-heard-by-the-us-supreme-court

The US Supreme Court, yep, that pack of nutjobs, might be about to give the Republicans the ability to win states in Presidential elections after losing the vote. It is one thing when a candidate gets less votes overall but still wins the electoral college, you can get a similar result in our elections where the 2 party preferred is higher for the party which wins less seats. But this is on a whole new level. It would be like Frydenberg being able to appoint the electoral officials for Kooyong and claim the seat with less votes than Monique Ryan.

The US Supreme Court has chosen to hear this case. They get a lot of cases referred to them but only hear about 1% of cases, so it is a clear choice to hear this case.

If the states are given carte blanche over results in a Federal election and it changes who becomes President then who knows what will happen.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I believe that she was sexually assaulted, not proceeding with the report to the police was her mistake. She allowed herself to be manipulated by the Liberal party who were just weeks away from the 2019 election.
I think "allowed" is not really the right word. She was traumatised and confused and young.

What she is going through is one of the reasons why young women don't report sexual assaults

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think "allowed" is not really the right word. She was traumatised and confused and young.

What she is going through is one of the reasons why young women don't report sexual assaults
Yes, I'm sure she was traumatised and that would've been a factor. I used "allowed" because she didn't want to lose her "dream job" and they knew it, Reynolds and Cash wedged her.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
the Brittany Higgins case is a huge indictment on the Liberal Party because they have, and will keep their mouths shut

as far as the filth that raped her, send him to the Eunuchs

they've wrecked someones life and that's unforgivable

and she's not the only one

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
the Brittany Higgins case is a huge indictment on the Liberal Party because they have, and will keep their mouths shut

as far as the filth that raped her, send him to the Eunuchs

they've wrecked someones life and that's unforgivable

and she's not the only one
When she was being cross examined by the defence lawyers they were asking her about why she deleted things from her phone in the days and weeks following the alleged assault. One of the things she said was that she deleted all references and photos associated with Lynda Reynolds because she wanted her "out of all aspects of her life".

The other thing she was worried about was that if she handed her phone over to the AFP if they found any evidence about anything else that needed investigating , even if it had nothing to do with the assault, they could hand that over to Home Affairs i.e. Dutton. She was so paranoid and scared about that she deleted a whole bunch of emails and texts.

The Liberal machine was after her and it appears she was treated appallingly.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
When she was being cross examined by the defence lawyers they were asking her about why she deleted things from her phone in the days and weeks following the alleged assault. One of the things she said was that she deleted all references and photos associated with Lynda Reynolds because she wanted her "out of all aspects of her life".

The other thing she was worried about was that if she handed her phone over to the AFP if they found any evidence about anything else that needed investigating , even if it had nothing to do with the assault, they could hand that over to Home Affairs i.e. Dutton. She was so paranoid and scared about that she deleted a whole bunch of emails and texts.

The Liberal machine was after her and it appears she was treated appallingly.
it's frightening stuff
Dutton knew about it, as did Morrison
let alone Reynolds and Cash and their revolting comments to her about 'career' and then packing her off to WA ..

it will be interesting if the federal ICAC dive into this - hopefully yes!

Reactions: 3 users