Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Liverpool said:
Gypsy-Jazz,
Firstly, from a personal view, I have not done anything to any Aboriginal, and certainly do not want anyone saying 'Sorry' on my behalf, for something that myself, or any of my family have done to begin with! :-X

I'm sure that you're right to have a clean conscience, Puddles. Did anybody ever do anything wrong by indigenous Australians?

BTW, since we have dispensed with the "Association"n "Footbal" should we also dispense with the "indigenous" in "Australian"?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
RemoteTiger said:
How true the adage "a government is only as strong as its opposition allows it to be!"

To quote a well known king - "My kindom, my kingdom for a decent opposition"...........or was that horse?

Can someone somewhere bring some honesty back into our leaders (on both sides of the house) - please can we have real leaders that do away with the political rat packs we have now!

Come on Australians stand up to Howard and Beasley and say pissoff - we want a leader whom we can trust and respect.....

Great post.....I like Kim as a person but how could he run the country when he can't run his own party.  Australians will never vote him into the top spot so Labor should address that now instead of waste another election.

The Labor party rabble have handed free reign to the Libs on a platter. :mad:

jb03 said:
Rpsy has her hands full with PRE

Not sure my resume would qualify me.

Doesn't suffer fools easily
No tolerance for *smile*
Despises dishonesty
Fighter for the underdog
Not influenced by pomp and ceremony or wealth ot title
Believes all Australians are equal and none should be more equal than others
Understands that those suffering through on lower incomes are the backbone of the country and would look after them instead of bleed them dry
Would look after primary producers instead of break them through taxes and costs and sabotaging their markets
Would strive to keep the bastards honest.......

Think I'd have to be an independent.  The big 2 wouldn't want me..and I wouldn't want them more to the point. ;D

an_oxford_man

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
rosy said:
No tolerance for *smile*
Despises dishonesty
Fighter for the underdog
Understands that those suffering through on lower incomes are the backbone of the country and would look after them instead of bleed them dry
Would look after primary producers instead of break them through taxes and costs and sabotaging their markets

Think I'd have to be an independent. The big 2 wouldn't want me..and I wouldn't want them more to the point. ;D

Sounds like a lefty. :hihi

I'd vote for ya.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Great news, the government has just released the regulations that go with the new workplace legislation. I was glad they didn't wait until after the Games too, I reckon the athletes can cope with losing the limelight for a day or so. Anyway we all should be rapt that the shackles have been released so we can all assert our individuallity in the workplace. I've just been to see the boss, I said to him "I want an RDO, a coffee machine in the smoko room like thise big chrome ones they have in real cafes, prefereably with a big golden eagle on top of it, a pay rise, and paternity leave".

"No worries Snakey 'ol son", he replied. "With these new workplace laws we can do this kind of stuff, take the rest of the day off, just have a day to yourself, as an individual".

these laws are cool.

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
tigersnake said:
Great news, the government has just released the regulations that go with the new workplace legislation.  I was glad they didn't wait until after the Games too, I reckon the athletes can cope with losing the limelight for a day or so.  Anyway we all should be rapt that the shackles have been released so we can all assert our individuallity in the workplace.  I've just been to see the boss, I said to him "I want an RDO, a coffee machine in the smoko room like thise big chrome ones they have in real cafes, prefereably with a big golden eagle on top of it, a pay rise, and paternity leave".

"No worries Snakey 'ol son", he replied.  "With these new workplace laws we can do this kind of stuff, take the rest of the day off, just have a day to yourself, as an individual".

these laws are cool.

What a great boss you have - i took your story to my boss and he said I'll top that - we'll install a full blown cafe in the lunch area - subsidised by the company so no meal will cost over $6 - coffee and tea will be free - there will be two smokos in the morning and afternoon to take advantage of the cafe - plus he said have a week off with the wife an kids in Fiji on the company.

I owe you heaps "snake" - if I hadn't shown your story to my boss the mrs and I wouldn't be off to Fijj next week all expenses paid.

The boss also mumbled something about a 4 day week but still getting paid for 5 days - I didn't catch it all - your right these new IR laws are spot on - the boss looks after his staff and the company thrives.......way to go Johnny....

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
My boss is even better. He said I could take off all the time I want. In fact, he insisted I start taking it today and he'll let me know when I should come back. ;D

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Say bye bye Medicare!

Little Johnny and his band of merry cabinet members are musing over the sale of Medibank Private - no public float this time - it will be sold to an organisation who is the biggest bidder in a closed tender process.

Once the private arm (Medibank Prvate) of the Health Insurance Commission goes it will only be a matter of time before the public arm (Medicare) has a similar fate.

John Howard has had Medicare in his sights since he gained power over a decade ago - once he dismantles it - he will have accomplished all his goals. It will then be time to hand over the reins - he will be able to bow out on top having achieved all his goals

- A stable economy where the rich get richer and the rest can please themselves

- An industrial relations policy that appears fair as employer and employee have the right to negtiate over conditions (how many factory workers, young admin staff, unqualified workers understand the art of negotiation?)

- medicare dismantled (the health industry market can regulate itself, just lke the American health market where the well to do get looked after and the others can't afford it)

- and lastly his greatest acheivement, a nation of people who are alert not alarmed (get the populace into a constant state of fear and you can feed them anything and they will believe you even vote for you)

IMO Johnny, can't tell a lie - teflon, has achieved for one reason and one reason only - due to a very weak opposition (who in their right mind could vote for Labor at the moment - for that matter in the last 10 years?)

We as a people deserve better......................

Gazza68

The sleeping giant is waking from his slumber
Oct 23, 2004
It's not only the health system going down the dunny. There is a small school outside of Ballarat that are holding fete's & all types of fundraisers, so they can fund a teacher they are about to lose.
Where is this country heading, if we end up like the good old US of A we might as well kiss any sought of comfortable lifestyle goodbye, have been their for holidays. Nice place to visit, bloody awful place to live. If you are not well to do, you have to struggle with no help from anyone, even there education system for the blue collar workers families is in a shocking state. Simple, if you dont have money the government doesn't want to know you. Which sounds a bit like the Howard government since they gained full control of the houses, they have just been throwing caution to the wind. Look after big business & dont worry about your average tax payers.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
My gutfeel is that today is the first day of the end of the Howard government.

I estimate that there will be 12-18 months, until the next election, for a giant divide to open up.

There are many middle-class workers who aren't covered by employment contracts.
The last time the middle-class joined the working class on mass, in Australian politics, was 1983.

Methinks Howard may be under the same misapprehension that Kennett had prior to the 1998 Victorian election.

sabretooth

I don't sleep for a week when we get beat - JD
Dec 9, 2003
rosy said:
Great post.....I like Kim as a person but how could he run the country when he can't run his own party.  Australians will never vote him into the top spot so Labor should address that now instead of waste another election.

The Labor party rabble have handed free reign to the Libs on a platter. :mad:

...Not sure my resume would qualify me.

No tolerance for *smile*
Despises dishonesty
Fighter for the underdog

Agree whole heartedly about kim.

as to the rest - can I take it that that is your policy speech Rosy?

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
Phantom said:
My gutfeel is that today is the first day of the end of the Howard government.

I estimate that there will be 12-18 months, until the next election, for a giant divide to open up.

There are many middle-class workers who aren't covered by employment contracts.
The last time the middle-class joined the working class on mass, in Australian politics, was 1983.

Methinks Howard may be under the same misapprehension that Kennett had prior to the 1998 Victorian election.

Although my understanding is that Kennett lost power primarily due to a protest vote by many liberal followers who wanted to give him a scare but now wish that they had never voted Bracks into power.

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
As a Victorian living in Victoria it's obvious the Liberals have very little chance of winning this year. Don't know where you got that idea about Victorians being sorry they voted in Steve Bracks.

Great post RT, but you forgot the systematic dismantling of funding to Govt schools and the constant negativity of Education Ministers towards educators. (How many other ministers have consistently and constantly been so negative towards their workforce? Can you imagine what would happen if the Defence Minister did that?)These Ministers seem to think that standardised testing once a year is a true indicator of a school's performance. But then again what do you expect in a country that calls it's people/workforce "human resources" ::).

eight ace

I live a life of well fed idleness
Feb 24, 2004
All employees are covered by employment contracts. It is a condition precedent to their status as employees. They may not, however, be covered by workplace agreements, which are a different thing.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Am I still very vague on the true meaning of the Man of Steal's new workplace laws or is it just me ?

If a person gets a new job in a small company signing the 'usual type' contract of employment, how do these new rules take affect?

Anybody got true clarification ?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
sabretooth said:
jb03 said:
Anduril said:
Even the HR Nicholls Society say it's unworkable.

Who?

The HR Nicholls Society - dedicated to wiping out unions! Can tell you're not a lefty, JB!

Never heard of them and work with Unions all day. They need a PR consultant or to at least achieve something to get some press.

Can't see wiping out the Unions being too good for anyone. I think they need a pursuit.