Tasmania | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tasmania

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Leysy gets that - but surely we need to think of the survival of the code in a state that has given our club so much. Benny, Jack, Disco, Richo, Hart, Stewart, Nank plus many many more. So many of our greatest players and the backbone of our recent flags have eminated from the state. The links are intrinsic.

It's time to give back. It's why our club is so positive towards the new venture.

You only need to look at the JackJumpers to see the success a national sporting team can both achieve but more importantly how it can bring the state together.

This is the point that the sport will either thrive or completely die in the state. It's the critical juncture that even Richmond fans should care about (like the club do).
Aussie Rules is dying in the state not just because they don't have an AFL team. The problem is much deeper than that.

Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Leysy gets that - but surely we need to think of the survival of the code in a state that has given our club so much. Benny, Jack, Disco, Richo, Hart, Stewart, Nank plus many many more. So many of our greatest players and the backbone of our recent flags have eminated from the state. The links are intrinsic.

It's time to give back. It's why our club is so positive towards the new venture.

You only need to look at the JackJumpers to see the success a national sporting team can both achieve but more importantly how it can bring the state together.

This is the point that the sport will either thrive or completely die in the state. It's the critical juncture that even Richmond fans should care about (like the club do).
Of interest Leysy, related to your point on the sport withering in the state. State league mainstay, Glenorchy, are rumoured to be struggling for players, to the point that they can’t even field a firsts team this coming season. Word has it, only 15 players at preseason training thus far.

In a historical legacy context, this would be equivalent to a club like Sturt or Centrals in the SANFL, or Swan Districts or Claremont in the WAFL pulling out of senior league footy due to lack of players and support.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Metricon was $144M. That was 13 years ago PT.

Building costs have pretty much doubled in the past 18 months. Let alone adding more than a decade on top of that.
I saw an assessment of around equivalent of $190mil (in today’s dollars) written last year, when talking about the context of a Carrara type stadiums Even with slippage (which you quite rightly point out), you still don’t get half way to $750mil-$1bn. Like I say, absurd sums!

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
No. All with Federal govt now.

State government have stumped up.

The AFL have provisionally approved (after moving the goalposts on a new stadium).

Albo is now the final hurdle. Proposal currently under review and latest is they want the AFL to stump up more $$$.

Will know by about April/May when budgets are finalised.

Hopefully Labor/Liberal politics don't get in the road of this going ahead and the federal govt do the right thing.

Albo doing the right thing would be to say no and tell the AFL to build the bloody thing themselves (or upgrade Bellerive), the greedy bastards. But of course, he will relent. Everyone relents to the AFL.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
- Tasmania had a lower proportion of people aged 20 to 44 years (31%) than Australia as a whole (35%). This in part reflects young adults pursuing education and employment opportunities interstate.

- Tasmania also had a higher proportion of people aged 55 years and over (34%) than Australia (29%). This partly reflects a trend of adults in this age group moving into the state.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Aussie Rules is dying in the state not just because they don't have an AFL team. The problem is much deeper than that.
I felt the time to have come into the league, was probably when Port Adelaide were given the nod instead of Tasmania. That was on the back of the early to mid 90s bid. And was in a time that the sport was still an intertwined part of the community fabric and culture.

From the late 90s onwards, you just see the state slowly falling out of love with the sport and subsequent generations only having lukewarm interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I felt the time to have come into the league, was probably when Port Adelaide were given the nod instead of Tasmania. That was on the back of the early to mid 90s bid. And was in a time that the sport was still an intertwined part of the community fabric and culture.

From the late 90s onwards, you just see the state slowly falling out of love with the sport and subsequent generations only having lukewarm interest.
Possibly. I'm all for a Tassie team if it's profitable in it's own right. Not so interested in the romantic nature of it because it was once a great football state which it clearly is no longer. If a team like Glenorchy can't field a side then it's on life support. establishing an AFL team is a heck of a lot of money for it to fail.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Metricon was $144M. That was 13 years ago PT.

Building costs have pretty much doubled in the past 18 months. Let alone adding more than a decade on top of that.
Yeah that’s right. Plus Metricon was also built almost “open air” ie without properly enclosed construct. It has open backing on most levels in most parts of the ground. They could get away with that, and the significant cost reduction, because of the GC’s great climate.

My understanding is as well, that the potential Tassie cost is also inclusive of a large commercial infrastructure around the stadium - much of which will be offset by commercial investors eg hotels, hospitality industry, retail enterprises etc.

Again, Metricon has none of that built into it. Chalk and cheese developments, necessities and strategies.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It might not be the sole reason. But it is easily the biggest. By a mile.
Yeah I dunno about that. Tasmanian football administrators have butchered footy beyond belief over a number of decades. (Looking at you Scott Wade and co.) This has been done to death, but the State League disaster is just one example.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Possibly. I'm all for a Tassie team if it's profitable in it's own right. Not so interested in the romantic nature of it because it was once a great football state which it clearly is no longer. If a team like Glenorchy can't field a side then it's on life support. establishing an AFL team is a heck of a lot of money for it to fail.
I do note however, living in the south of the state, my perception is fairly insulated to this region, regarding the decline of the game. It is far more pronounced here, than other parts.

I spent some time in Launceston last year in winter and although diminished from its heyday, the game at a community level appears more vibrant there than in the south.

The other region, the NW Coast, with significant cultural legacy in the sport, I can’t comment as much. But appears somewhere in between Hobart and Launceston’s situations. The coast seems to suffer from demographic decline (faster ageing demographics - not as many people of playing age), as opposed to the cultural detachment I observe in the south.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
The coast seems to suffer from demographic decline (faster ageing demographics - not as many people of playing age), as opposed to the cultural detachment I observe in the south.
Sounds like lots have moved to Hobart that are more into latte and smashed avo rather than a beer and a pie at the footy.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
My understanding is as well, that the potential Tassie cost is also inclusive of a large commercial infrastructure around the stadium - much of which will be offset by commercial investors eg hotels, hospitality industry, retail enterprises etc.

Again, Metricon has nine of that built into it.

Curious red where you picked this up.

My understanding of the business plan is that the Stadium will act as an attractor for other commercial activities like transport, retail and accommodation - I am not aware that this is factored into the $715m cost. It’s a complex location, and building a stadium there is not straight forward is what I have been told. It’s a pity the location was chosen based on emotion and then the economics and numbers have been built to suit.

I am just frustrated that we are all debating a stadium, which I still argue is completely separate to the issue of a Tasmanian AFL licence.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah I dunno about that. Tasmanian football administrators have butchered footy beyond belief over a number of decades. (Looking at you Scott Wade and co.) This has been done to death, but the State League disaster is just one example.

Talking in the past - Yep 100% there has been a gazillion mistakes between the AFL and within the state itself before the AFL took control. Could post a list a mile long.

But purely talking into the future, am certain the states own AFL team is the only way to turn the code around. And done right it will. Not to mention all the other benefits it would bring to the wider community.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yeah that’s right. Plus Metricon was also built almost “open air” ie without properly enclosed construct. It has open backing on most levels in most parts of the ground. They could get away with that, and the significant cost reduction, because of the GC’s great climate.

Again, Metricon has none of that built into it. Chalk and cheese developments, necessities and strategies.
Yeah, i reckon the needs of an oval on the Gold Coast are quite different from the needs of an oval in Tassie, in terms of spectator comfort. And people can say that's not important, but the reality is more people will go to the footy if they can stay dry, and have more shelter from freezing winds.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Curious red where you picked this up.

My understanding of the business plan is that the Stadium will act as an attractor for other commercial activities like transport, retail and accommodation - I am not aware that this is factored into the $715m cost. It’s a complex location, and building a stadium there is not straight forward is what I have been told. It’s a pity the location was chosen based on emotion and then the economics and numbers have been built to suit.

I am just frustrated that we are all debating a stadium, which I still argue is completely separate to the issue of a Tasmanian AFL licence.
It was highlighted by Eddie McGuire who said the clubs had been given a brief on the stadium and its cost which was inclusive of it being developed into a large commercial precinct - not just a stadium. It costs an absolute bucket load to build supporting infra ie roads, sewage, excavation on and on. I know first hand from my golf club’s redevelopment. All that stuff cost more than the new clubhouse, new courses (2), new machinery sheds, accom and pool. Just look at the outrageous cost of building a road anywhere. Bloody outrageous actually….anyway that’s another story.

Incidentally, this presentation on a $700 million macro development was what won over a lot of the negative or concerned clubs about the risks associated with a Tassie team. A number of them simply didn’t see the capital injection as being big enough 12 months ago.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah, i reckon the needs of an oval on the Gold Coast are quite different from the needs of an oval in Tassie, in terms of spectator comfort. And people can say that's not important, but the reality is more people will go to the footy if they can stay dry, and have more shelter from freezing winds.
Exactly right.

Me personally, I’m pumped about what’s being proposed. Seems like the Tas gov is on board with it too which is good. Just gotta get Federal funding and quell the unambitious mind set of some Tasmanians.

This isn’t a cost. Gotta get out of that mindset. It’s an investment.

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It was highlighted by Eddie McGuire who said the clubs had been given a brief on the stadium and its cost which was inclusive of it being developed into a large commercial precinct - not just a stadium. It costs an absolute bucket load to build supporting infra ie roads, sewage, excavation on and on. I know first hand from my golf club’s redevelopment. All that stuff cost more than the new clubhouse, new courses (2), new machinery sheds, accom and pool. Just look at the outrageous cost of building a road anywhere. Bloody outrageous actually….anyway that’s another story.

Incidentally, this presentation on a $700 million macro development was what won over a lot of the negative or concerned clubs about the risks associated with a Tassie team. A number of them simply didn’t see the capital injection as being big enough 12 months ago.
You own a golf club?

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
This is unrelated, but in what looks like being further good news for Tasmanians is the development of the Seven Mile Beach Golf Club just outside of Hobart. Near the airport.

This has been 12 years or so in the making due to - I hate to say it again a few Tasmanian naysayers, mostly environmentalists- but it is in full “swing” now (see how I did that ?) and going by the pictures I got the other day and from what I’m hearing from people on the ground there, this is going to be one hell of a golf course. Something that might surpass Barnbougle but be right on Hobart’s door step. Outstanding tourism and hospitality benefits. Ecological improvement (!) for the area because up until now it’s just been a continually re harvested radiata pine area.

Designed by Mike De Vries one of the best architects in the world right now.

We’re talking Australian Open possibilities here.

Between that and potentially an AFL team, things are looking up for Tassie which is really bloody pleasing to see.

1674622092875.jpeg

• Love