Temporary restriction on guests viewing PRE | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Temporary restriction on guests viewing PRE

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Haven't counted but we've had around 150 new members the last couple of days. It would be great if they all joined in the discussions.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigergollywog said:
Im enjoying the new closed shop. ....

It's kinda cosy. :grouphug

I've had a bit to do with the admins of ThePowerFromPort over the years. Their site has had this kind of restricted access for a long time.

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
rosy23 said:
Haven't counted but we've had around 150 new members the last couple of days. It would be great if they all joined in the discussions.

I reckon a poll is in order Rosy, regarding keeping Operation Sovereign Borders on PRE (ok, we can come up with a better name).

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigergollywog said:
I reckon a poll is in order Rosy, regarding keeping Operation Sovereign Borders on PRE (ok, we can come up with a better name).

We'd have to have a better name. :vomit

Still trying to get rid of gremlins. Poor tester has been working overtime for us.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Another change is the online list now only shows people from the last 15 minutes. If we had it set for all day it would fill a page.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
rosy23 said:
Another change is the online list now only shows people from the last 15 minutes. If we had it set for all day it would fill a page.

For testing, you should try turning it off.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Baloo said:
For testing, you should try turning it off.

A lot of things are being tried. Do you think the user online function would be affecting our forum performance so dramatically now when it's never been a problem in the past when we've had several hundred online at once?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I think it's worth turning off to see the impact. Everytime someone loads the front page there will be database calls to pull out who has been logged in for the last 15mins (whatever period). Every call is more resources being used on the database.

Something has changed so using that fact is was fine before doesn't cut it. If the webhosts are claiming they have changed nothing then, well, dunno, need to start tuning SMF as it's the only thing left.

The other recent oddity I have found is the DB isn't clearing the Read post flag. Often I can refresh and it will still show a post/thread as unread despite reading it a few times.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Baloo said:
Something has changed so using that fact is was fine before doesn't cut it. If the webhosts are claiming they have changed nothing then, well, dunno, need to start tuning SMF as it's the only thing left.

Not sure I necessarily agree with that thinking but thankfully tester is working overtime trying different things to try and improve the situation. Maybe tuning the forum in various ways might fix the problem but if the problem isn't at our end no matter of twiddling will fix it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
rosy23 said:
Not sure I necessarily agree with that thinking but thankfully tester is working overtime trying different things to try and improve the situation. Maybe tuning the forum in various ways might fix the problem but if the problem isn't at our end no matter of twiddling will fix it.

If the webhosts are denying it's their end (and they normally always do until you can conclusively prove its at their end), then you need to eliminate everything you can at the Forum end.

All webhosts oversell these days. To my untrained eye and lack of access to logs I suspect the webhost has capped PRE's resources to ensure you don't impact other customers. Or they just have too many websites fighting for limited resources.

A reverse lookup shows 126 domains hosted on the same web server as puntroadend.com (223.130.24.36). While that stat in itself doesn't tell you a lot, it does suggest to me they have a fair buit of overselling happening.

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
rosy23 said:
Anywhere as long as it works Rob.

just to clarify - I was having the timeout issues Baloo posted about elsewhere - if that helps you (hopefully doesn't add to your list of problems). Tried to post for 15 mins and gave up.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tiger Rob said:
just to clarify - I was having the timeout issues Baloo posted about elsewhere - if that helps you (hopefully doesn't add to your list of problems). Tried to post for 15 mins and gave up.

Not sure I saw that post of Baloos but appreciate any issues being reported. Hope it's working better for you now.

Tommo37

Tiger Superstar
Aug 16, 2011
rosy23 said:

Robbo, Connelly, Sheahan, Whatley, Healy, McNoclue, King, Quayle, Ralph, Wilson would make up a few of the numbers I'm guessing. :wave

tester

Administrator
Mar 17, 2004
Baloo said:
I think it's worth turning off to see the impact. Everytime someone loads the front page there will be database calls to pull out who has been logged in for the last 15mins (whatever period). Every call is more resources being used on the database.

The other recent oddity I have found is the DB isn't clearing the Read post flag. Often I can refresh and it will still show a post/thread as unread despite reading it a few times.

That's exactly why it was changed. Longer periods mean more database calls- more people to look up. Didn't want to remove it altogether though.
We are doing SMF tuning. Thing is *nothing* has changed here except for normal usage. There *was* a change on the server about 20-30 days ago though. I know, the environment etc changed when I ssh-ed to it.

Getting the hosts to admit that and investigate is seemingly difficult. Don't want to move though as that a PITA

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
Maybe try deleting the christianity thread? perhaps all this voodoo in the system is the work of the devil? The Tyrone Vickery thread could have some bile drained off it also. Maybe thats what PRE needs? A detox retreat.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
rosy23 said:
Streak on our host's advice we've set peoples time limit to 30 seconds between posts to see if the slight wait helped stop the multiple posts. Were you trying to do a post within 30 seconds of your previous one?

Yes and no. I was on the Game for a Laugh thread, and got the message. On board I have got the message on.

But I am pretty sure on the Game Day thread I was firing off posts pretty quickly (more than once every 30 seconds) and never saw it.

I figured it was probably something that had been set to try and right a few issues. Just thought I should mention it anyway.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Has anyone else experienced the 30 second between posts rule? I'd be surprised if too many post again so quickly. I tried it to see what message I got but it seems it mightn't apply to admins.