THANK GOD FOR ST. FRANCIS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

THANK GOD FOR ST. FRANCIS

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
“Back of Bourke – is where every other footballer is,” my father once ungrammatically said.
Dear old Dad came to footy late in life. Aussie Rules, that is, and he was only in his 20s when he saw his first match but that would be considered ‘late’ for a person nowadays.
Oh, he had played football – with a round ball – for his works team back in Coventry and the only time he had seen a ball shaped like ours was on a rugby pitch. He landed a job at a Richmond engineering firm and one Saturday afternoon found himself dragged along to watch a game at Punt Road oval.
Not realising what he was in for, he later said he watched the first quarter with his mouth open. Never before had he seen such ferocity on a sportsfield. The second quarter passed in a blur as he struggled to comprehend what was happening out there on that huge ground (huge by soccer standards). Someone gave him a beer at half-time and then the third quarter started.
Someone, a Richmond player, went down and Dad wanted his opponent ‘sent off’. The crowd laughed. Dad soon learnt the gentle art of barracking. By the end of the game, he was hooked. Wintry Saturday afternoons became ‘football afternoons’ – Richmond afternoons.
And he saw the best of what Richmond had to offer. All through those disastrous grandfinals where Collingwood won three of their four consecutive flags and then, finally, success in 1932 and 1934.
Years later, he would thrill my mind with stirring tales of the valour of Bentley, Foster, Geddes, Judkins and, of course, the great man himself. I never saw that great backline of Bolger, Sheahan and O’Neill, never thrilled to the sight of George Rudolph strutting his stuff, and I can only vaguely recall the last days of ‘Skinny’ Titus, but I felt that I knew those champions very well thanks to Dad’s word pictures.
I’m glad my Dad saw the 1967 and 1969 premierships. After that, he was too sick to go to the footy but I had three sons who used to accompany me to games and we would go around to ‘Grandy’s’ on Sundays and tell him all about our wins and losses. Of course, television helped him in his confinement.
One of the early games we attended in 1967, saw a young, dark-haired, angelic-faced recruit called Francis Bourke make an appearance. “Hmm,” said Dad, “he’s the son of Frank Bourke.” We watched him with interest. Frank Bourke had been a ‘shining light’ to us tragics, the next Titus. I was so infatuated with his short career that I used some of my meagre pocket-money to buy a photo of Frank. I still have that photo in my collection - shown here:

Son of Frank didn’t let us down.
It wasn’t long before Dad wouldn’t hear of anyone else. Francis was always going to be a champion. Funny when I now look back on it, Francis began his Richmond career as ‘Frank’ – as evident in this 1966 pre-season cutting:

Alf Brown of the Herald/Sun: Richmond hope two promising recruits will play on permit with their Reserves.

They are Eric Moore, 17, 6 ft. and 13st. 4lb., a centre or centre half-back from Coleraine, and Frank Bourke, 18, 6 ft. 1 in., and 12 st. 12 lb., a full-forward from Nathalia.

Moore, a bank clerk, has been transferred to the head office in Melbourne. He played one game with Richmond Reserves last year and this season did well against Bill Barrot in practice matches.

Bourke’s father, Frank, was a promising full-forward for Richmond about twenty years ago but a knee injury ended his career. Bourke hopes to play with Richmond Reserves on three match permits. If he does well he will ask for a clearance.

Well, the rest is history. Francis Bourke’s record is covered very well on PRE. There is a good segment on the Main Page under Player Q & As and Blast From The Past: 300 – For a Tiger who earned his stripes the hard way.

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
TOM HAFEY ON FRANCIS BOURKE

I was more than a little disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm for a thread in the General Section – not, I hasten to add, because I started it but because it was meant to be a celebration of the 60th birthday of a Tiger immortal, Francis Bourke.

So, ok, times change, we all move on and there are probably a lot of people now posting who never saw Bourke play but is there anyone who doesn’t know enough of RFC history to realise what he meant to us?

At least Jungle Beat featured an article on ‘St Francis’, in the ‘Eye of the Tiger’ section honouring the birthday feat. I know there is an embargo on reproducing RFC articles or those from Sportal. There are two newspaper articles making up this Jungle Beat article – the first was reproduced on PRE before all this nonsense began but the second one was merely a reproduction of a 1982 article written in Bourke’s column in ‘The Sun’ by long-time Richmond coach and friend, Tommy Hafey, therefore I don’t see that it belongs exclusively to RFC. This is what it had to say:

“The only way you would know Francis Bourke was hurt was when the blood was flowing from a wound.
The veteran Richmond champion is one of the toughest, dedicated and most respected players in the VFL.
Supporters from every club seem to name Bourke high on their list as the player they respect most of all.
In the match against North Melbourne on Saturday he received a nasty cut above his left eye, but believe me, he has played with a lot worse injuries than that.
I remember one year at Richmond he walked off the ground after he had broken his leg. We all knew then that he was badly hurt.
Another time he broke his collarbone at training about three minutes before the end.
It was a Thursday night and Richmond had to play the following Monday as part of a split round.
The following Tuesday he trained with his arm in a sling.
Two nights later he trained freely and declared himself available.
When the rest of the players had left Punt Rd. after training, Bourke said to me: “I’m OK to play on Saturday, but I just want someone to run at my chest to make sure I’m all right.”
The match committee, refused to play him because the club’s doctor said Bourke would risk serious injury.
The next Saturday Bourke was in the side and was best man on the ground.
After the game I asked him: “How do you feel?”
He replied: “It makes me all the more disappointed that I wasn’t allowed to play last week.”
Bourke’s attitude on the training track is excellent.
His attitude and desire to give you all rubs off on the younger players, who then think this is the way it must be done.
With a player like Bourke around it makes a coach’s life a lot easier.
His opponents have a high regard for him. They all say he is a fierce competitor, but fair, with only the ball in his sights.
Bourke’s dedication to Richmond and the game is something to be admired.
In a game he is never off his feet even if he has received a heavy knock.
A lot of players wouldn’t get up until a trainer ran out with the magic towel, but not Bourke.
He would rather stagger to his feet to let the opponent know it would take a lot more than that to keep him down.
Bourke, 33, is superbly fit and, strangely, he loves playing and watching cricket more than football.
On the personal side, Bourke has achieved almost everything the game can offer.
He has played 290 games, captained Richmond and Victoria, played in four winning premiership sides and has represented his state in two positions, as a winger and half-back.
Bourke also has won the club’s best and fairest award.
In my opinion he is a modest and humble champion in every sense of the word.”

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
Reserve Games by Francis Bourke

Reading various accounts of the playing days of Francis Bourke, I find there is a dispute as to how many games he played for Richmond Reserves.

This varies from one to eight games, with the most commonly repeated number being four.

As far as I could find out, Francis played in at least five Reserves’ games in 1966:

Round #3 v. Melbourne where he is credited with 2 goals and a mention amongst the ‘Best’.

Round #4 v. Coll’wood – 1 goal.

Round #6 v. Sth Melb – 1 goal.

1967:

Round #1 v. Essendon – 1 goal and mention in ‘Best’.

Round #2 v. Footscray – 2 goals.

The above totals 5 games and 7 goals. The Tigers of Old credits him with 8 Reserves’ games and 11 goals. He is also supposed to have played a Reserves’ game either when he was getting over his ‘famous’ broken leg or his broken collarbone. So, we are closing in on The Tigers of Old claim.

I think I will go with that.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Growl said:
Reading various accounts of the playing days of Francis Bourke, I find there is a dispute as to how many games he played for Richmond Reserves.

Have noticed recently that in official AFL records Bourke is now credited with exactly 300 senior games. At the time he retired, following the Malcolm Blight 'point' game in 1981, he was credited with 302. Does anyone know the story there?

Quick Francis Bourke anecdote:
1994 or 95 and Bourke enters the rooms before a Richmond game. Paul Bulluss is warming up when Bourke approaches him and offers him some advice. When Francis is out of earshot, Bulluss asks innocently "Who was that old *smile*?!"

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
First senior game — as 19th man

Friday, 12th May, 1967

The morning newspapers printed a list of team selections as was normal during the football season.
Things were quiet for the Richmond v Hawthorn game. After all, Richmond had enjoyed more than their share of recent publicity with the battle between Barrot and the club and, also, with regard to the acquisition of Kevin Sheedy.
The latter was a tangled affair which had began with an amicable agreement between Richmond and Prahran in which Sheedy would cross to Richmond and two players from RFC would join Prahran.
Fine, as far as Richmond was concerned. They were exchanging Wilf Dickenson, who didn’t appear to have much of a future in the VFL, and an Under-18 player for a centreman who was beginning to attract some attention.
The VFA, under a new rule they had imposed, demanded a transfer fee of $3000 from Richmond for Sheedy’s services. The Tigers said ‘no’, the VFL said ‘no’, and Prahran just wished it would all go away. Richmond finally said ‘be damned’ and chose Sheedy to lineup in the game against North Melbourne – in which he acquited himself quite well. Barrot, meanwhile, was playing in the Reserves as a result of his altercation with RFC. He was also picked to play there the following week while Sheedy lined up in Barrot’s preferred position in the centre.
No, the newspapers were not concerned at all about Richmond on the morning of the 12th May. Not when two finalists from last year were to meet, Geelong and Essendon, and Carlton (unbeaten after 4 matches) was to play last year’s premiership team, St Kilda.
So, it was hardly earth-shattering news that a young man from Nathalia, with only a handful of Reserves’ games to his name, had been chosen as 19th man in the Richmond team to play Hawthorn on the MCG, 13th May.
There is not a lot written about that match between Richmond and Hawthorn in Round #5 of the 1967 season. One could almost be excused for missing small references such as “G. Burgin replaced by Bourke at quarter-time”; or – as reported in the Sporting Globe: “Bourke kicked a great goal . . . [just into the final term]”.

I can’t find any stats for Bourke in that game, so all I know about is that one ‘great’ goal. Bourke was chosen as 19th man in the following round against St Kilda down at Moorabbin. It seems the beginning to his career was to be a quiet affair.

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
Bourke’s first full game with seniors.

Round 7, Richmond v Geelong, May 27th 1967

above: Bourke celebrates after his first full game with Richmond seniors.​

Picked in Thursday night’s Richmond team for the clash with Geelong, Bourke was switched to a wing. Although not a matchwinner, he was nevertheless named in Richmond’s best.

[Growl-note: on the opposite wing was *smile* Clay – a forecast of things to come!]

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
Round 10, Richmond v. Melbourne
MCG 24/6/1967

CLASSIC BOURKE ACTION
This photo exemplifies the character and determination that was so typical of Bourke throughout his playing career. Hard to believe that a youngster could show such poise in only his 4th senior game.​

CAPTION READS: Francis Bourke gets in his kick despite hot opposition from Hassa Mann. The other players are from left: Fred Swift (R), Ken Osborne (M), Kevin Shinners (R), Graham Osborne (M), Ken Emselle (M).

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
BOURKE, BARROT, CLAY

To anyone keen on the history of the Richmond Football Club, when centre lines are mentioned the names of Bourke, Barrot and Clay roll off the tongue almost as a single word, a mantra to greatness, par excellence in football skills.

With the exception of Bolger, Sheahan, O’Neill there has been no other complete line of players who have captured the imagination of Richmond supporters in the way that Bourke, Barrot and Clay did in the late 1960s.

Bolger, Sheahan and O’Neill were Depression-era players when being able to don a pair of footy boots meant the difference between putting food on the table or going hungry. They were popularly dubbed ‘The Three Musketeers’ and, along with a half-back line that usually included Baggott and McCormack, the two lines of defence were known to other teams as ‘Murderers’ Row’ – at least that was according to the great Laurie Nash, who was never known to take a backward step, no matter the odds.

There was another Tiger centre-line that was unchanged for a number of years. They weren’t too bad in their time, either. Well, they played in four successive grand finals, from 1931-1934, and their names were Judkins, Zschech and Geddes. Doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, does it? Judkins, Zschech and Geddes – and they were together longer than Bourke, Barrot and Clay. Somehow, though, there was magic in the joining together of the more modern trio.

New times, a new style of play developing – partly due to Richmond’s move to the MCG – football was king and radio had a rival in television that would, ultimately, change the face of football. Len Smith and Tom Hafey moulded a team that excelled in a running, play-on type of football. Tall, solidly-built, fleet-footed lads who could take a good mark, kick long, and handball. Handball was the basis of so many Richmond attacks. And tall wingers. Hawthorn were already moving in that direction with Meagher, but Richmond did it first and did it best.

Barrot had about five years of fitting-in to the team before *smile* Clay first appeared at Punt Road. The following year, a young Francis Bourke played his first senior game in Round 7 against Geelong. Who could have foreseen that these three young players would soon become – well, if not household names throughout the nation, at least in Melbourne they were certainly talked about.

And it almost didn’t happen!

Richmond gained the services of Kevin Sheedy when he crossed from Prahran without a clearance from the VFA. There had been troubled times between the RFC and Barrot. In and out of the senior team, played as a ruck-rover, a forward, a winger, any position that required plugging, Barrot filled the gap. Sheedy, with excellent VFA credentials as a pivot, didn’t quite set the world on fire as Richmond’s centreman. Six games he managed before being sent down to the Reserves.

Barrot, who had returned as a wingman, slid comfortably back into the centre with Sheedy’s departure. Things were looking up for Bustling Billy. *smile* Clay came to Richmond as a forward, but began showing promise with his speed and long, accurate kicking and, about the time that Barrot was settling back into his centre role, Clay was starting to shine on the wing.

A 185cm wingman?

But, wait, Hafey would pull another surprise out of his magician’s bag of tricks. He took a nine-game youngster, also 185cm, and put him on the other wing. Francis Bourke had arrived. Alas, poor Billy Brown. He had gained a State guernsey from the games he played for Richmond on the wing. He was about the normal height for a winger, 171cm, give or take a little. But times were changing fast and Brown was soon considered too short for the modern game. Fortunately, he took over Bourke’s job as second rover and he gave good service in that spot, while Bourke took the other wing to Clay.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I find it fascinating becoming aware of how history is sometimes shaped. Hindsight suggests it would have happened no matter what, but if Richmond and Barrot had parted company; if Clay had been persisted with as a forward; if Bourke had only ever been a second rover or ruck-rover, or played a handful of games and gone back to Nathalia as he had planned, we might never have seen Bourke, Barrot and Clay play together as a centre-line — and they were the engine-room of the Richmond revival.

And why do I bring this up at this time of the year? Simple, this weekend – or, I should say, forty years ago this same weekend (August 12, 1967), Richmond for the first time named and played a centre-line that read: BOURKE, BARROT, CLAY.

Bless ‘em, I say!

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
This guy was the epitomy of tough. I saw him play with a broken arm at Arden street, blood all over his face if i remember correct. he was as tough as they come, run stright through the lines. Saw him play wing briefly before becoming a tough defender.

Bones17

Tiger Rookie
Jul 11, 2010
The Pines
HK Tiger said:
This guy was the epitomy of tough. I saw him play with a broken arm at Arden street, blood all over his face if i remember correct. he was as tough as they come, run stright through the lines. Saw him play wing briefly before becoming a tough defender.

It was the only game I went to Arden Street, he kicked a goal being shifted forward. I remember being at one of the training sessions before a Grand Final and Franics Bourke stayed out after training and signed every autograph request.

sashback

Our saviour??
Aug 22, 2005
I've got an autograph of Bourkey's with MCG mud and his blood on it!!

Those were the days! :)

Son of Francis

Tiger Rookie
Jun 5, 2010
As a teenager I had No. 30 on my Richmond jumper (most others had number 4).
I just admired his selfless and absolute dedication and loyalty to club and team. An extremely rare quality these days!
He was role model who played a major part in the success of the club from '67 to '82.