Michael Roach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Michael Roach

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Wasn't sure whether to put this on the main board, but anyway... On the radio yesterday, I heard an ad, maybe about 8 times for 'Michael Roach Investments'. Just wondering if anyone knows if it is the Great Man himself?
One of my all time favourite players. Disco's speccy against the hawks in '79 is continually underrated in terms of greatest marks ever. Better than jezza's one, even more spectacular than ablett's 'mark of the century' that he didn't actually mark. His 10 goals in less than a full game in a night series. His 100 in a season. I think he may have even played in the ruck at some stage.
Anyone got any other great memories of him?

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Yes it is.
And Michael's office can be found atop of glorious Camberwell hill.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Good read on wiki about Disco here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Roach_(footballer)

In his prime he was a super grab and probably had one of the best kicking actions the game has seen.
As a youngster I had that famous mark as a poster on my wall for years.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Great player cruelled by a back injury inititially received while rucking against Roger Merrett if I remember correctly. I actually saw him in Camberwell recently and he looked to be walking with a considerable limp - maybe the legacy of his football career.

Was a favourite (bit like Richo) in some dark days from the mid to late 80's. At least with Roach, you had some quality to enjoy. Always seemed to kick a bag against Fitzroy at Princes Park, even in the spoon years.

Was outstanding in the 80 premiership year and had a great 1982 playing largely in the ruck like a big ruck rover. With his leap, he was able to compete against he bigger ruckman of the day. He was as good a mark as you'd see and kicked beautifully, set shot or in general play. Would have been a sensation in today's game.

One of the stuff ups from 82 was how Francis Bourke never quite worked out how to play Roach, Cloke,Taylor and Lee in the one team. Had he done so, I've no doubt that we would have easily won our 11th flag. Still is a grand final that we should never have lost - Taylor was left out, Cloke played at FF, Roach at CHF and Lee rucked and all had quiet games from what I remember. Still you can never undo the past - must look to the present.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Legends of 1980 said:
Wasn't sure whether to put this on the main board, but anyway... On the radio yesterday, I heard an ad, maybe about 8 times for 'Michael Roach Investments'. Just wondering if anyone knows if it is the Great Man himself?
One of my all time favourite players. Disco's speccy against the hawks in '79 is continually underrated in terms of greatest marks ever. Better than jezza's one, even more spectacular than ablett's 'mark of the century' that he didn't actually mark. His 10 goals in less than a full game in a night series. His 100 in a season. I think he may have even played in the ruck at some stage.
Anyone got any other great memories of him?

'79 was the first real season I started to attend the footy and was at the game where he took the real "mark of the century" (but like Abletts I still doubt Roachy held onto it for long enough!).

He did have an amazing kicking style that young Tiger supporters mimiced. Tragically he was messed around by the make up of the team (played ruck and at one stage was even full back!) and by injury. If he was left at full forward and wasn't injury prone he would have kicked so many more goals and would be remembered as an out and out champion full forward.

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong
michael roach investments is roachy`s business.
that ad has been on the radio for a couple of years now,a big part of the business is finding lost super accounts for people.

his kick against melbourne at the MCG to bring up his 100th goal in 1980 is great to watch and sums up his kicking perfectly.
he kicks a drop punt from near the centre square and it sails through at post height.
he barely put much oomph into it either.
magnificent.

i went into the tiger museum one day and paul reiffel`s dad was running the place and he had on a video of richmond v hawthorn from 1985 at princes park when we won by about 10 goals.
disco kicked 11 that day,and that was when hawthorn had all those champion players too.

anyway,reiffel`s dad said roger merrrett ruined roachy`s career by jumping on his back after roachy took a mark.
he said that sheedy put merrett up to it.

both me and my sister wore his number 8 on our backs as kids,me playing footy and she playing basketball.
i also had a duffel coat with MICHAEL on the back.
ROACH

snaps truly

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2008
Hobart
He was drafted to Richmond from my home town of Longford, in Tassie and I recently spoke to my Dad about him. My father remembers him well and recalls him starting his career on the wing for the mighty Longford Tigers ( Terry Cashion played and Barry Lawrence started and finished his career there also, man, do I have some sweet football memories of Baz !). Also said that Richo and disco play/ed a similar game, in that they both play/ed up forward and further upfield, and also their similar playing styles and build.
I also had his famous grab up on my wall growing up, and probably remembering an early VFL memory of the tiges winning the 1980 flag and his career in general, I rate the big man and his service to the club.
I too agree that he should of been selected in the totc, fp instead of Bill Morris maybe, who would replace Raines on the bench (no disservice to Morris who I believe to be a champ). I would rather a fella with Disco's footballing resume and club records than a player as Raines' on the team and also maybe for team structure ? I recognize Rainses' contribution to our success and his role within the team of the time, but cant agree with his inclusion. Especially when you have the flea playing fp and Ian Stewart ( off the bench !) as your midfield cover , a player of Roach's calibre not making the squad has bugged me.
To make it worse i've discovered he was snubbed for selection in the tassie totc as well ... pretty tough opposition I guess ; The Cho,Crosswell, Baldock, with Hart and Hudson in your preferred positions sure is.
Below is a team that is part of my Tiger history, and i'm glad Disco's in it and has at least made it into one team of the century.

www.fullpointsfooty.net/all_star_teams.htm#Longford

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Great post there snaps.

remember Longford having some great teams in Tas when Leysy was growing up there in the 80's.

ozmadman

Thanks Cogs
Jun 2, 2007
I have fond memories as a kid in 1980 sitting with the cheer squad at the mcg chanting "we've got the best full forward in the league and his name is michael roach". An out and out champion! At least some of us still remember...

snaps truly

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2008
Hobart
Yeh Leysy they did, but unfortunately only 1 flag in a long period of successful teams, and that flag came after the statewide league had started and we found ourselves in second div. They had plenty of opporchanceties in the mid eighties (maybe 4?) to win flags but just couldnt crack it.
Longford won its first flag in 1955, then followed it up in 57 and 58. In 1957 we also won the state premiership, against Nth Hobart. Not bad from a country town with a population of about 1000 - 1500 people at the time up against the "big city'' teams.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
snaps truly said:
I would rather a fella with Disco's footballing resume and club records than a player as Raines' on the team and also maybe for team structure ? I recognize Rainses' contribution to our success and his role within the team of the time, but cant agree with his inclusion. Especially when you have the flea playing fp and Ian Stewart ( off the bench !) as your midfield cover , a player of Roach's calibre not making the squad has bugged me.

I agree Roach was stiff snapper but Raines is in my team any day of the week.

snaps truly

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2008
Hobart
You rate him pretty highly ToO. My memories of Raines have faded and perhaps i'm biased in my rating of Roach and Raines. I put it to you ToO, hyperthetically, if Roach was to make the totc who would he replace in your opinion ?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
snaps truly said:
You rate him pretty highly ToO. My memories of Raines have faded and perhaps i'm biased in my rating of Roach and Raines. I put it to you ToO, hyperthetically, if Roach was to make the totc who would he replace in your opinion ?

roachgl5.jpg

200 games, 607 goals. ave.3 pg
7 time club leading goal kicker, 2 time Coleman medalist, 1980 Premiership player.

It's hard to say who he replaces in the ToTC because I haven't seen some of the older guys but on the face of it Morris is very fortunate to have made it.

Gordietiger

The Rolls Royce!
Apr 14, 2004
I think Roachy should be in TOTC ----BUT not at the expense of The Brownlow Medalist Bill Morris-----I think Knights was fortunate to get the guernsey( as great a player as he was)

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
mopsy fraser said:
richmond v hawthorn from 1985 at princes park when we won by about 10 goals.
disco kicked 11 that day,and that was when hawthorn had all those champion players too.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. Listened to it on the radio while my brother was playing footy. Best bit was, he was/is a Hawks supporter. He was dirty because his team lost the game I was at, and he was filthy when I took great delight in telling him what had happened to the Hawks.

shamekha

Tiger Superstar
Mar 7, 2008
i was talking to Roach a few weeks ago and he was telling me his dislike for Wallace, says he's still dirty on Tom being delisted before a few hacks in the club.