The Beer thread

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
19,247
526
Wang
Here we go ladies and Gents a thread dedicated to beers of the world , New an old , craft and boutique and some facts on beer glass sizes .

I’m no beer connoisseur, pretty much like a good Carlton draught or a Melbourne bitter, on the occasion of having to drink a mid strength I can’t go past Iron Jack.

When stuck at one of those hipster do’s Red Duck is about the most tolerable of those types of beer for me.

Choice of vessel is a vase at my local, not fussed between pot or schooner size, you just have to adjust to the situation sometimes .

Cheers
 

tigerman

Nank should grow a mullet.
Mar 17, 2003
9,133
540
Mr Brightside said:
Here we go ladies and Gents a thread dedicated to beers of the world , New an old , craft and boutique and some facts on beer glass sizes .

I’m no beer connoisseur, pretty much like a good Carlton draught or a Melbourne bitter, on the occasion of having to drink a mid strength I can’t go past Iron Jack.

When stuck at one of those hipster do’s Red Duck is about the most tolerable of those types of beer for me.

Choice of vessel is a vase at my local, not fussed between pot or schooner size, you just have to adjust to the situation sometimes .

Cheers
Good thread Mr B.

I enjoy a schooner of Carlton draft and will have Tooheys Old or a Guinness sometimes for a bit of a change. I don't mind a pint of beer, but if drinking in a beer garden find the last bit gets too warm.

While in Asia i have enjoyed my fair share of Tiger and quite like Beerlao too.

I have found that with todays brewing technologies i can enjoy most beers, unlike years ago when there was the traditional beer strike at xmas where you'd have to try and stomach KB lager, West End, or Southwark.
 

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
5,386
27
Brisbane
I'm stuck with gluten free beer due to Coeliac disease. Limited options and not cheap either. Of all the beers I had before I knew I was killing myself, I'd say you can't go past Boags red off the tap in a Tassie pub. Best GF beer is Glutenberg - $125 a slab imported through Dan Murphy's from Canada.
 

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
48,394
768
Re: The Beer thread

The Big Richo said:
These days I like something lighter, a Corona or a Great Northern Original or even an Sol which is an underrated drop.
I'm usually a Cartoon Draught drinker but haven't had/seen a Stella Artois for some time I must say.
 

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
18,548
376
Can I combine the 'things that p!ss me off' thread and the beer thread for a post? after the pints, schooners, pots, 7s talk, went into a pub in Brisbane late last year and ordered a pot. They said we don't have pots, just pints and schooners. I said well find a pot, its a pub isn't it? and the manager came, they kicked me out. Wasn't aggressive, annoyed sure. But seriously, its political correctness gone mad. Its a pub ffs, its a pot ffs, its australia ffs!

Thats one thing I love about the US, walk into any bar and order anything, they'll get it or make it for you. If its something they haven't heard of or don't have, they'll find out what it is and bolt out and get the ingredients. Nope not in aus, they can't even find one pot glass in a massive aussie pub.

rant over, I feel better.
 

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
690
22
Melbourne.....sometimes Broome
Great thread Mr B.

I’m like you, I usually play it safe and go for Carlton Draught (Melb bitter on tap is very refreshing too)...
I just find it hard sometimes when the barman/barmaid ask me what I want.....I don’t like to say the “C” word, so I just point at the tap and say a schooner or pint..
 

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
12,622
59
Didn’t like the “ beer and wine” thread bright Eyes? ;D

If you’re looking to try something different the results of the GABS beer hottest 100 is a great guide.

https://www.gabsfestival.com/gabs-hottest-100-2018-craft-beers

Number 1 for 2018 was Balter XPA. Very nice drop.
 

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
19,247
526
Wang
WesternTiger said:
Didn’t like the “ beer and wine” thread bright Eyes? ;D
That’s like comparing Vickery to Reiwoldt, they may share the same ingredient, but there nothing alike.

Sorry WT didn’t know it existed
 
E

easy_tiger

Guest
Im a pretty simple man,

Tooheys new or xxxx gold in the summer, tooheys old and a stout in the winter.

Although, i take full advantage of my dan murphy card and get the $10 6 pack, even if its brewed on icelandic crystal triple hops and has overtones of citrus and peach.

For $10, ill love it.

If i had to be stuck on an island forever with only one beer,

It would be crownies.

If i was forced to only drink beer from a non-normal brewer, it would be Monteaths. Bruce makes a very reliable ale
 

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
4,484
417
Richmond Victoria
easy said:
Im a pretty simple man,

Tooheys new or xxxx gold in the summer, tooheys old and a stout in the winter.

Although, i take full advantage of my dan murphy card and get the $10 6 pack, even if its brewed on icelandic crystal triple hops and has overtones of citrus and peach.

For $10, ill love it.

If i had to be stuck on an island forever with only one beer,

It would be crownies.

If i was forced to only drink beer from a non-normal brewer, it would be Monteaths. Bruce makes a very reliable ale
quite keen on their Radler, very nice drop, in a brown bottle too, so it looks like a mans beer !
 

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
19,387
259
Melbourne
good thread.

i'm a beer traditionalist. not into craft beer at all. when i'm at the pub, it is carlton draught 95% of the time. I might have a furphy or 150 lashes from time to time, but carlton draught always has and always will be my pub beer of choice.

at home, for many years it was pure blonde, but I have sorta gone off it since they changed the recipe. i still drink it occasionally, but its not my home beer of choice anymore. a few years ago, i went to Hobart for Norf v Richmond. that weekend, a friend of mine (who is from there) introduced me to the best beer i have ever tasted in my life. and since then I have been obsessed with it. problem is, it is not sold in Melbourne. I'm not sure why as it the oldest continually brewed beer in Australia. and its delicious. But luckily enough for me, I am able to order it online. the name of the beer is Cascale Pale Ale. :love

as for travelling, in europe my beer of choice is Amstel or Heineken. In Asia, its Singha or Tiger. I didn't like American beer when i first went over 20 years ago. but my pallet has since changed and all the main brands are nice enough.

As for the region with the worst beer, its Mexico by the length of the flemington straight. Corona, Sol, etc, all garbage. You know its sh!t if you have to add a lemon or a lime to a beer. as far as I am concerned Corona is a girls drink... the beer you drink when you're not a real beer drinker. Have you noticed how scotch or bourbon drinkers always go for Corona when their drink of choice isn't an option? I rest my Case.

And just to repeat, Cascade Pale Ale is the best beer ever made. If there was a god, this would be his beer of choice.
 

Attachments

tigerman

Nank should grow a mullet.
Mar 17, 2003
9,133
540
Ian4 said:
good thread.

i'm a beer traditionalist. not into craft beer at all. when i'm at the pub, it is carlton draught 95% of the time. I might have a furphy or 150 lashes from time to time, but carlton draught always has and always will be my pub beer of choice.

at home, for many years it was pure blonde, but I have sorta gone off it since they changed the recipe. i still drink it occasionally, but its not my home beer of choice anymore. a few years ago, i went to Hobart for Norf v Richmond. that weekend, a friend of mine (who is from there) introduced me to the best beer i have ever tasted in my life. and since then I have been obsessed with it. problem is, it is not sold in Melbourne. I'm not sure why as it the oldest continually brewed beer in Australia. and its delicious. But luckily enough for me, I am able to order it online. the name of the beer is Cascale Pale Ale. :love

as for travelling, in europe my beer of choice is Amstel or Heineken. In Asia, its Singha or Tiger. I didn't like American beer when i first went over 20 years ago. but my pallet has since changed and all the main brands are nice enough.

As for the region with the worst beer, its Mexico by the length of the flemington straight. Corona, Sol, etc, all garbage. You know its sh!t if you have to add a lemon or a lime to a beer. as far as I am concerned Corona is a girls drink... the beer you drink when you're not a real beer drinker. Have you noticed how scotch or bourbon drinkers always go for Corona when their drink of choice isn't an option? I rest my Case.

And just to repeat, Cascade Pale Ale is the best beer ever made. If there was a god, this would be his beer of choice.
I've bought Cascade at Dan Murphy's before, give them a go, agree it's a good drop.
 

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
19,247
526
Wang
Ian4 said:
good thread.

i'm a beer traditionalist. not into craft beer at all. when i'm at the pub, it is carlton draught 95% of the time. I might have a furphy or 150 lashes from time to time, but carlton draught always has and always will be my pub beer of choice.

at home, for many years it was pure blonde, but I have sorta gone off it since they changed the recipe. i still drink it occasionally, but its not my home beer of choice anymore. a few years ago, i went to Hobart for Norf v Richmond. that weekend, a friend of mine (who is from there) introduced me to the best beer i have ever tasted in my life. and since then I have been obsessed with it. problem is, it is not sold in Melbourne. I'm not sure why as it the oldest continually brewed beer in Australia. and its delicious. But luckily enough for me, I am able to order it online. the name of the beer is Cascale Pale Ale. :love

as for travelling, in europe my beer of choice is Amstel or Heineken. In Asia, its Singha or Tiger. I didn't like American beer when i first went over 20 years ago. but my pallet has since changed and all the main brands are nice enough.

As for the region with the worst beer, its Mexico by the length of the flemington straight. Corona, Sol, etc, all garbage. You know its sh!t if you have to add a lemon or a lime to a beer. as far as I am concerned Corona is a girls drink... the beer you drink when you're not a real beer drinker. Have you noticed how scotch or bourbon drinkers always go for Corona when their drink of choice isn't an option? I rest my Case.

And just to repeat, Cascade Pale Ale is the best beer ever made. If there was a god, this would be his beer of choice.
I like that Tiger beer an in the US that Miller lite is pretty good , I think it’s not a light beer in alcohol content, more calorie intake
 

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
34,540
716
Wheat beer has been mine preferred drink for about 25 years now. Picked it up when I lived in Europe and struggle to drink much else when it comes to beer. Thankfully the rest of the world has caught on and wheat beer is quite common outside of central europe.

Give me the traditional German Weissbier on a summer's day and life is grand. Not the hefeweisen nor the crystal derivities, just the gold old fashioned golden cloud. Hoegaarden will do if there's no other available.
 

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
18,949
126
Cascade Pale Ale 100% at Dan's Ian.

And yes, outstanding drop. Easily the best of the Cascade options, though the Stout is also a corker.

Here's another ripping Tassie beer:

https://www.jamesboag.com.au/beer-food/james-boags-xxx-ale/
 

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
19,387
259
Melbourne
Leysy Days said:
Cascade Pale Ale 100% at Dan's Ian.
its not. only available in their Tassie stores: https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_1089/cascade-pale-ale

I actually emailed the "contact us" section of the Dan Murphys website and they said the stock it periodically. But I have never seen it in a store or available online over the past 12 months or so I have been looking. But if you stumble upon it at your local, by all means PM me ;D

I also did the Cascade Bewery Tour when I was there over the New Year and asked them why its not sold in VIC... Apparently its a business decision by CUB.
 

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
4,484
417
Richmond Victoria
Leysy Days said:
Cascade Pale Ale 100% at Dan's Ian.

And yes, outstanding drop. Easily the best of the Cascade options, though the Stout is also a corker.

Here's another ripping Tassie beer:

https://www.jamesboag.com.au/beer-food/james-boags-xxx-ale/
Pale Ale was called Cascade Green ??
 
E

easy_tiger

Guest
Leysy Days said:
Cascade Pale Ale 100% at Dan's Ian.

And yes, outstanding drop. Easily the best of the Cascade options, though the Stout is also a corker.

Here's another ripping Tassie beer:

https://www.jamesboag.com.au/beer-food/james-boags-xxx-ale/
The cascade stout is a ripper.

Definately part of my winter arsenal.

Im currently trying to drop 10kg and get back to my playing weight.

Allowing myself a 6 pack of burleigh bighead a week, which is 70 cal a stubby (same as an egg), and has no anything, and isnt disgusting
 

tigerman

Nank should grow a mullet.
Mar 17, 2003
9,133
540
easy said:
The cascade stout is a ripper.

Definately part of my winter arsenal.

Im currently trying to drop 10kg and get back to my playing weight.

Allowing myself a 6 pack of burleigh bighead a week, which is 70 cal a stubby (same as an egg), and has no anything, and isnt disgusting
Jeepers easy!! A six pack a week, i spill that many every week :cutelaugh