The Beer thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Beer thread

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Ian4 said:
good thread.

i'm a beer traditionalist. not into craft beer at all. when i'm at the pub, it is carlton draught 95% of the time. I might have a furphy or 150 lashes from time to time, but carlton draught always has and always will be my pub beer of choice.

at home, for many years it was pure blonde, but I have sorta gone off it since they changed the recipe. i still drink it occasionally, but its not my home beer of choice anymore. a few years ago, i went to Hobart for Norf v Richmond. that weekend, a friend of mine (who is from there) introduced me to the best beer i have ever tasted in my life. and since then I have been obsessed with it. problem is, it is not sold in Melbourne. I'm not sure why as it the oldest continually brewed beer in Australia. and its delicious. But luckily enough for me, I am able to order it online. the name of the beer is Cascale Pale Ale. :love

as for travelling, in europe my beer of choice is Amstel or Heineken. In Asia, its Singha or Tiger. I didn't like American beer when i first went over 20 years ago. but my pallet has since changed and all the main brands are nice enough.

As for the region with the worst beer, its Mexico by the length of the flemington straight. Corona, Sol, etc, all garbage. You know its sh!t if you have to add a lemon or a lime to a beer. as far as I am concerned Corona is a girls drink... the beer you drink when you're not a real beer drinker. Have you noticed how scotch or bourbon drinkers always go for Corona when their drink of choice isn't an option? I rest my Case.

And just to repeat, Cascade Pale Ale is the best beer ever made. If there was a god, this would be his beer of choice.
When I was attending the Hobart campus of UTAS back in the late 90s, the Uni bar must have had some sort of business arrangement with Cascade, where they bought loads & loads of Pale in bulk and sold it at really cheap prices (which seemed odd, because it is usually more expensive). Most pubs in Hobart tended to have Cascade Draught or Cascade lager as the stock standard tap beer. But for some reason, the Uni bar had pale ale as the tap staple. Not an enormous fan myself. Not because it's not a decent beer. I'm sure for most people it is. But most likely because it brings back memories of overindulging and feeling really ill and the taste of it being the dominant aftertaste in my drunken vomit.....can't get that out of my head....makes me feel a bit queezy when tasting it now :vomit.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Giardiasis said:
Have you tried Boags red MD? The one Leysy and I mentioned?

No just the premium. Will have a crack at the red and let you know.

E

easy_tiger

MD Jazz said:
Crownies are my least favoured beer, would rather drink Fosters. Have never understood their popularity.

Ive never understood how anyone couldnt love a crownie.

I reckon you could carbonate dish water and put it in a tall brown bottle with a gold foil seal, and it would taste delicious. ;D

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
easy said:
Ive never understood how anyone couldnt love a crownie.

I reckon you could carbonate dish water and put it in a tall brown bottle with a gold foil seal, and it would taste delicious. ;D

They marketed them well. Whenever you want to splash out and celebrate get a carton of crownies - it'll make you feel classy. Unfortunately it tastes like *smile* and gives a shocking hangover

Although I am partial to the Golden Ale crownies.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I always went Melbourne Bitter over Crownies, because (A) I liked it more and (B) i knew if some bastard was pinching my beers

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
easy said:
Ive never understood how anyone couldnt love a crownie
Same , love a Crownie, makes me feel like I’m from the correct side of the train line.

I think some raw fish and crownies will have to be on the menu pre an post Suns game

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The Big Richo said:

sorry big guy. truth hurts :hihi

MD Jazz said:
Crownies are my least favoured beer, would rather drink Fosters. Have never understood their popularity.

ummm... which is the same beer.

Giardiasis said:
Have you tried Boags red MD? The one Leysy and I mentioned?

is that the Boags XXX Ale? yeah thats pretty good.

Panthera Tigris said:
the Uni bar had pale ale as the tap staple. Not an enormous fan myself. Not because it's not a decent beer. I'm sure for most people it is. But most likely because it brings back memories of overindulging and feeling really ill and the taste of it being the dominant aftertaste in my drunken vomit.....can't get that out of my head....makes me feel a bit queezy when tasting it now :vomit.

i was like that with Jim Beam after an experience in my late teens.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
craig said:
I always went Melbourne Bitter over Crownies, because (A) I liked it more and (B) i knew if some bastard was pinching my beers

These days just as likely find Crownies cheaper than MB at the bottle shop...weird.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
22nd Man said:
These days just as likely find Crownies cheaper than MB at the bottle shop...weird.

CUB taking advantage of the hipster craze. Melbourne and VB are basically the same beer.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Jake said:
Bet the price wasn't?

I think I paid $11.50 for a mid-strength beer in AFL members Rd 1. Wont be buying again at game.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Having a Carlton drought in a handle at my local and an old fella just walked in and ordered a 7, bloody magnificent , as I said to Browny the publican , I can’t remember somebody ordering one, he said it’s rare