The Beer thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Beer thread

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Harry said:
Have they decreased the beer size at the G?

the Lock Up bar underbeath the PRE Goals were selling pots in plastic cups as well as the traditional schooner. i assume its the same everywhere else?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
craig said:
I much prefer MB to VB always have

an old mate (who i've lost contact with) used to work at CUB and said MB and VB were made from the same Vat. same with Fosters and Crownies. I don't know if that has since changed as we are going back 20 years now.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Ian4 said:
an old mate (who i've lost contact with) used to work at CUB and said MB and VB were made from the same Vat. same with Fosters and Crownies. I don't know if that has since changed as we are going back 20 years now.

Heard that about Foster's and Crownies.

Had animated discussions with someone who worked at James Boag many moons ago, when Crown and Boags premium were the two main "boutique" Aussie beers. Was adamant they had done the testing and they were pretty much the same beer.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Bought 5 pints in the Garden bar at Marvel , $50 I think that works out to be $10 a beer which I can handle because it’s in glass. However $9 something for mid strength or light and nearly $12 for beers I’ve never heard of in a plastic thimble is a rip off.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
toby64 said:
Heard that about Foster's and Crownies.

Had animated discussions with someone who worked at James Boag many moons ago, when Crown and Boags premium were the two main "boutique" Aussie beers. Was adamant they had done the testing and they were pretty much the same beer.

Would explain why I dislike Boags premium.

E

easy_tiger

Ian4 said:

good thing you lost contact cause he talks through his arse.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
It’s like when Homer visited Duff brewery. https://ibb.co/Bwz1Scf

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Just wanna have a whinge about the beers on sale at the MCG last night.

I sit in M1 most games. There is a dungeon bar called Lockup underneath M1. They usually sell full strength Carlton Draught at night games... The exception is that you have to drink it there. You're not allowed to take it to your seat.

Anyway, I went to Lockup to have a quickie schooner before the first bounce. But there was no full strength Carlton Draught available. Only Great Northern ($9.40) and 4 Pines ($11.50). They didn't have the cheaper Carlton Mid ($8.20) as an option either.

So I thought bugger that, I'll try another bar. Same thing. Only Great Northern and 4 Pines to be seen. No cheaper option such as Carlton Draught or Carlton Mid there either. I tried 2 more bars. Same thing.

So what is the story here? No more Carlton beers at the MCG? Or was this a one off? I asked one of the staff and they said it was a trial. But I'm not sure I believed him. Looks like I'm going back to the hipflask as I'm not paying those prices for watered down beer.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Re: The Beer thread

Ian4 said:
Just wanna have a whinge about the beers on sale at the MCG last night.

I sit in M1 most games. There is a dungeon bar called Lockup underneath M1. They usually sell full strength Carlton Draught at night games... The exception is that you have to drink it there. You're not allowed to take it to your seat.

Anyway, I went to Lockup to have a quickie schooner before the first bounce. But there was no full strength Carlton Draught available. Only Great Northern ($9.40) and 4 Pines ($11.50). They didn't have the cheaper Carlton Mid ($8.20) as an option either.

So I thought bugger that, I'll try another bar. Same thing. Only Great Northern and 4 Pines to be seen. No cheaper option such as Carlton Draught or Carlton Mid there either. I tried 2 more bars. Same thing.

So what is the story here? No more Carlton beers at the MCG? Or was this a one off? I asked one of the staff and they said it was a trial. But I'm not sure I believed him. Looks like I'm going back to the hipflask as I'm not paying those prices for watered down beer.

Trial of what? I get pissed off when walking into a bar only to see these NSW, Qld and NT beers around.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Carlton draught was been sold in the Miller room at about $8 a schooner, pretty sure great northern mid strength is the other choice and the beer you have to have when sitting outside the room

E

easy_tiger

great northern really sh!ts me off.

half the pubs I go to suddenly have it instead of XXXX gold,

which has been the best mid strength beer north of the Murray forever

wish thay'de call a spade a spade, and call it Southern Pretender, or Cheap *smile* Market Share, or something.

great northern? *smile*

:eek:ld

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
easy said:
great northern really sh!ts me off.

half the pubs I go to suddenly have it instead of XXXX gold,

which has been the best mid strength beer north of the Murray forever

wish thay'de call a spade a spade, and call it Southern Pretender, or Cheap sh!t Market Share, or something.

great northern? *smile*

:eek:ld
Most importantly what beer is served at Metricon easy ?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Re: The Beer thread

craig said:
xxxx gold is great out of the tap on a hot day in QLD.

My old man used to love a Castlemaine XXXX......but I never did.