The best games from the past to get on Name-A-Game??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The best games from the past to get on Name-A-Game???

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
Hi guys,

Was thinking the other day wouldn't it be great to own our best wins from the past 15 years or so, but I can't seem to remember many before say the year 2000.

I wouldn't mind going back to 93-94 at the earliest, so was just wondering if anyone knew of some good wins we had back then?

Was looking at some footy scores from '94 and I see we defeated North Melbourne by 5 points at the MCG in Round 12, when North were 2nd on the ladder. Was just wondering if anyone can recall that game?

Please note that this isn't the game where we kicked all those goals in the first quarter, as that was 1995.

Also feel free to offer up suggestions of games to own. (I already have the 95 semi and 01 semi)

vernissage

Tiger Matchwinner
May 28, 2005
This might be a big statement, [not a premiership] but my favourite all-time Richmond game is the 1973 Preliminary Final (knowing we were inevitably Premiers of course makes it every bit more piquant); Royce off the bench at half-time with his magnificence, including a stunning immediate 60 m goal; Bartlett's mercurial last quarter goal from the pocket on the run and more recently ::) the 1995 Second Semi-Final with Matthew Knights' magnificent trio of goals.

And of course Richo's hand on the 2009 cup.

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
Beautiful, I was hoping someone would reply :)

That '95 Semi gives me....well.....a semi.

I might have to get it on DVD I reckon as that tape is nearly worn out. Any other great games people can remember from the past 15 years or so that might be worth watching again?

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
I don't know how you would go with old Home+Away matches. I ordered a game from'92 they couldn't find the VHS master to transfer it to DVD.after 3 months i gave up.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
A few come to mind....

1995 vs WCE at Princes Park (flogged em)
1995 vs North (kicked about 8 goals in first qtr and won comfortably)
1995 vs Essendon (draw under lights)
1996 vs WCE at MCG (one of Joel Bowden's early games where he kicked a few and we thrashed em)
1996 vs Geelong at MCG (won by 10 goals, first time we beat them in years)
1997 round 22 vs Carlton (came from behind and kept them out of the finals)
(I have a blank from 1997 to 2001!)
2001 vs Bulldongs at TD
2001 vs Essendon at MCG (rd 22 to get us into the 4 even though the Bumers may not have been giving it 100%)

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Punxsutawney Phil said:
1996 vs WCE at MCG (one of Joel Bowden's early games where he kicked a few and we thrashed em)

That is a favourite game of mine for a number of reasons:

1. We belted the Eagles. Think they had kicked 0.11 to half time.
2. Bowden kicked 4 in the first quarter and Gerard Healy made the BS statement that there were some at Punt Road comparing him to Royce Hart (beautiful left footer).
3. It was on or near my birthday (memory is not that good) so a bit of a celebration.
4. Had a job interview the next day and blitzed it and got the job, my first.

Goodwin 24

Tiger Rookie
Mar 16, 2007
vernissage said:
This might be a big statement, [not a premiership] but my favourite all-time Richmond game is the 1973 Preliminary Final (knowing we were inevitably Premiers of course makes it every bit more piquant); Royce off the bench at half-time with his magnificence, including a stunning immediate 60 m goal; Bartlett's mercurial last quarter goal from the pocket on the run and more recently ::)

I am watching this game right now, well I'm attempting to put it on DVD....3rd quarter is awesome !!

burgin27strang28

Tiger Cub
Mar 17, 2008
The 73 prelim final is my favourite but have only been able to get hold of the last quarter. The third quarter is the one I want to see. Where can you get hold of the entire game (or at least the 3rd quarter)?

Also the game against Hawthorn in 77 (fairly early in the season) when Jim Jess kicked two goals in time on to snatch the game - that was a beauty. Unfortunately I left the ground at the start of time on and missed the comeback.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
burgin27strang28 said:
The 73 prelim final is my favourite but have only been able to get hold of the last quarter. The third quarter is the one I want to see. Where can you get hold of the entire game (or at least the 3rd quarter)?

Also the game against Hawthorn in 77 (fairly early in the season) when Jim Jess kicked two goals in time on to snatch the game - that was a beauty. Unfortunately I left the ground at the start of time on and missed the comeback.

Round 2 at the G it was, we kicked 10 goals in the second quarter and it was THREE goals Jess kicked at the death to win it for us by one point. When someone like Neale Daniher or Malcolm Blight did it they played it again for years but not the Ghost.

I would KILL to get this game on video.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
23.21.159 said:
Round 2 at the G it was, we kicked 10 goals in the second quarter and it was THREE goals Jess kicked at the death to win it for us by one point. When someone like Neale Daniher or Malcolm Blight did it they played it again for years but not the Ghost.

I would KILL to get this game on video.

It was definitely one of the three VFL games covered by Channel 7 each week as I remember seeing highlights on the news. Incredibly, a lot of that old footage ended up at a tip (according to a credible poster on BF).

langers1971

Tiger Cub
Mar 4, 2008
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It was definitely one of the three VFL games covered by Channel 7 each week as I remember seeing highlights on the news. Incredibly, a lot of that old footage ended up at a tip (according to a credible poster on BF).

it was played on easter monday 1977, along with footscray v melbourne, and st kilda v geelong.

I have 6 minutes of highlights from channel 2, which includes the winning goal from Jim Jess.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
langers1971 said:
it was played on easter monday 1977, along with footscray v melbourne, and st kilda v geelong.

I have 6 minutes of highlights from channel 2, which includes the winning goal from Jim Jess.

Is there a colossal roar from the crowd when Jess takes the big mark near the end? That's the thing that sticks in my mind, never having been to a live match at that point.

langers1971

Tiger Cub
Mar 4, 2008
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Is there a colossal roar from the crowd when Jess takes the big mark near the end? That's the thing that sticks in my mind, never having been to a live match at that point.

yes, you are quite correct!

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
What sticks in my mind is that on one of those goals Jess kicks at the end, the goal umpire originally signals a point, and then changes it to a goal. Langers, I have just sent you a PM.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
langers1971 (who is actually a Hawks supporter) has very generously provided me with his footage of this game and I have put it on YouTube. It really is a fascinating piece of footy history. For Richmond you can see Bartlett, Hart, Sheedy (copping a beauty from Don Scott, who would get rubbed out every week if he played that way these days!), Malthouse wearing number 28 (that's Noel Carter in number 7), Geoff Raines in number 40, Allan Edwards is there, Robbie McGhie, Neil Balme, former-magpie Bob Heard, Robert Lamb, and most interestingly in number 3 is not Dale Weightman but the one and only John Pitura. Even for Hawthorn you see both Matthews's, Michael Tuck, future Tiger Alan Martello, John Hendrie, who always had a knack for playing well against Richmond, and a very ginger looking Peter Hudson in his brief comeback wearing both numbers 1 and 54 for some reason.

And I still reckon Bryan Wood was one of the most underrated footballers ever.

Watch this and marvel over what a great sport Australian Football used to be. It was such a different style to the basketball you see today. I didn't realise the drop kick lasted as long as 1977.

I've also heard the stories that Channels 7 and 2 disposed of all their old footy tapes either because they needed to re-use them or they needed the space. Didn't the idiots who made these decisions have any notion of the history they were destroying forever? Ridiculous when you consider what small resources would be needed to store all of these games today. Absolutely criminal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qESx2pwcjfU

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Anyone remember an earlier (late 60s ?) close finishing game against Hawthorn at the MCG ?

I was there with a mate supporting Hawthorn. We were about 5 goals up at 3/4 time and the hawks threw everything at us in the last quarter. When the siren blew the scoreboard had us level for a draw. It was only when the goal umpires consulted in the middle and signalled the scorers did we know that there was a point missed for Richmond and we got up by the one point.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Yinnar, can't remember the year. But as a young bloke then living in Melb, I can remember leaving the game and walking through the car park with my dad back to the car and hearing the result on the radio. Consequently, it took some time till the goal umpires signalled and the score was adjusted. I don't know that any supporters or indeed the live radio commentary had picked up that a point had been missed in the last quarter.