Best Off-Field Fights within AFL Clubs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best Off-Field Fights within AFL Clubs

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
The sadistic streak in me took great pleasure in the O'Hailpin/Cloke dust up, not to mention couldn't have happened at a better club.

Got me to thinking, what have been some comparable, sensational or amusing physical altercations within AFL footy clubs over the years.

Carey/Archer/Stevens had some obvious potential...but didn't end up much in the physical stakes.

But for the most amusing/bizarre (actually picturing it) the *smile* Pratt vs Percy Jones fight (Carlton once again :rofl) punch up has to be my best nomination.

Can anyone think of others?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Some of those Don Scott ones made me laugh regarding the Hawks/Dees merger.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
The Percy Jones / Tony Jewel fight was a beauty - but that was on-field.

I remenber the Michael Christian / Leigh Matthews dust up over Christian's wife was a beauty too.

Of course, there was also the famous changing room punch up of Bill Barrot / Kevin Sheedy circa 1970.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Phantom said:
Of course, there was also the famous changing room punch up of Bill Barrot / Kevin Sheedy circa 1970.

I've never heard of that one, what happened?

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Phantom said:

I remenber the Michael Christian / Leigh Matthews dust up over Christian's wife was a beauty too.

The last two would be great if you could elaborate on Phantom. I heard a little about the christian/matthews one, and nothing about the last one.

Looking at the few suggestions already intriguing there are a few unsuprising personality types in there.

Did Scott's get physical back then TF? I know he could talk a good fight when in the political/official arena, I wasn't aware they got physical.

Even his last attempt to throw the Hawthorn board he threw some verbal kidney punches.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Phantom said:

Who won?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Dyer Disciple said:
Did Scott's get physical back then TF? I know he could talk a good fight when in the political/official arena, I wasn't aware they got physical.

Even his last attempt to throw the Hawthorn board he threw some verbal kidney punches.

I vaguely remember he ripped up something......

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
TigerForce said:

I can't remember the details.
I'm sure it's in one of Sheedy's books that I read the details, and i have heard it spoken about.

Usual thing, words were said, Sheedy knocked out Barrot fairly quickly.

Not long after, Barrot was traded for Stewart.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
:hihi Good idea for a thread.

Slightly off topic but myself and some team mates were reflecting on what O'Halfpint had done the other day and all of us were scratching our heads as to why the Blues didn't sack him?
If he'd done that sort of rubbish to one of the guys within our amateur outfit he'd be completely ostracised by the team.
I can't for the life of me see the reasons in keeping a loose cannon on the list as the negatives on team morale far outway the positives. Very odd decision by the Blues admin.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Tigers of Old said:
Very odd decision by the Blues admin.

I'm with you mate, wouldn't be the first though would it?

I wonder if they voted on it and put all their votes into a brown paper bag and passed it around UNDER the table.

Oh I just can't help myself when it comes to Carlscum....sorry...

NOT!

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Phantom said:
I can't remember the details.
I'm sure it's in one of Sheedy's books that I read the details, and i have heard it spoken about.

Usual thing, words were said, Sheedy knocked out Barrot fairly quickly.

Not long after, Barrot was traded for Stewart.

You sound a bit like Weasel Barrett here Phantom. ;D Can you elaborate a bit more please.

Bugsy is my life-long hero and I followed him more closely than any other player back then. If he and Sheedy had a blue then I think I would have heard about it.

Its always been my understanding he and Tommy had onfield issues and this led to his trade, not an off field fight with Sheedy. I also doubt Sheedy would have 'knocked out Barrot quickly', Bugsy was pure granite.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
OK, this one is not within an AFL club, but it involved two VFL players (and both Tigers) and I am assured it is true. It would have been good to see.

It occured at South Fremantle after Mark Jackson was being a loudmouth in the social club about being the toughest man at the club. Apparently everyone got throughly sick of him, and eventually Maurice Rioli challenged him to step outside.

The story goes that Jacko did indeed go outside with Maurice, only to renter the social club about 10 minutes later, climb onto a pool table and announce in a loud voice that infact, he was the second toughest man at the club.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Streak said:
OK, this one is not within an AFL club, but it involved two VFL players (and both Tigers) and I am assured it is true. It would have been good to see.

It occured at South Fremantle after Mark Jackson was being a loudmouth in the social club about being the toughest man at the club. Apparently everyone got throughly sick of him, and eventually Maurice Rioli challenged him to step outside.

The story goes that Jacko did indeed go outside with Maurice, only to renter the social club about 10 minutes later, climb onto a pool table and announce in a loud voice that infact, he was the second toughest man at the club.

:rotfl

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Maurice was a Golden Glove Champion and would have had a successful boxing career if not for being equally gifted as a footballer.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Phantom said:

TigerForce said:

The story as told by the late Greame Richmond goes that after a game Sheeds handed a little girl's autograph book to Billy Barrot to sign. Barrot wrote in the book and handed it back to Sheeds who walked about 5 paces before looking down to see that Barrot had simply written "Get (insert expletive here)"!

Sheeds turned around and walked back to Barrot and crashed a thumping hook into his jaw. Greame Richmond described it as the biggest punch he'd ever seen and continued to say not even Ali would have stayed on his feet.

Apparently Barrot crashed back into the lockers, his hip leaving a sizeable dent. Sheeds not content fell in on top of him raining blows. Richmond said if others weren't there to drag them apart he had no doubt Sheeds intent was to kill or at a very minimum severely hurt Barrot, and would have without intervention.

Apparently both players were butt naked, but thats largely irrelevant to the main story and i've only added that for the benefit of our female posters! ;D

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
frickenel said:
The story as told by the late Greame Richmond goes that after a game Sheeds handed a little girl's autograph book to Billy Barrot to sign. Barrot wrote in the book and handed it back to Sheeds who walked about 5 paces before looking down to see that Barrot had simply written "Get (insert expletive here)"!

Sheeds turned around and walked back to Barrot and crashed a thumping hook into his jaw. Greame Richmond described it as the biggest punch he'd ever seen and continued to say not even Ali would have stayed on his feet.

Apparently Barrot crashed back into the lockers, his hip leaving a sizeable dent. Sheeds not content fell in on top of him raining blows. Richmond said if others weren't there to drag them apart he had no doubt Sheeds intent was to kill or at a very minimum severely hurt Barrot, and would have without intervention.

Apparently both players were butt naked, but thats largely irrelevant to the main story and i've only added that for the benefit of our female posters! ;D

Moral of the story? Don't ask a naked player to autograph something.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Dyer Disciple said:
Moral of the story? Don't ask a naked player to autograph something.
I think it is when parading starkers in front of random young children, refrain from writing profanities.

Words to live by.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
When Chris Scott arrived in Brisbane; having been drafted at the end of year 11; one of his earliest training sessions was a sparing (classic Walls 'team bonding') type thing where a player would sit on the shoulders of another player and 'box' someone of similar stature. Scott was squared up against Johnny Gastev and basically went 'bang' and broke Johnny's nose knocking him off the other guys shoulders.

Apparently the rest of squad all looked at each other along the lines of 'we've got one here.'

If you go to Johnny Gastev's wiki profile the last two sentences state:

"Gastev was probably best known for some of the massive hits he copped during his career and his trademark beard. Many players did not like his negative approach to the game and as such opted to make him a target, resulting in many significant blows that contributed to his early retirement."

he he - the most significant one was from his teammate at training who took his spot.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Nice one Elmer. Probably more a over zealous training session but there is a fine line that's for sure :hihi