The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Thanks for the break down / Info.

Why would the likes of GC, Brisbane, Adelaide and Carlton want to ‘trade down’ their pics?

If your assessment regarding being able to trade into the top 10 for one more pic (even without using Baker) is possible I would learn how to break dance.
We accumulated 9 picks specifically to trade with clubs that don't want to over pay (by burning very high picks) for their academy and father/son kids. If you watched the draft last year this was so commonplace that the AFL will change the rules to make the practice more difficult. Richmond are banking on the rules being changed next year, not this year as we have strategically placed ourselves to take advantage of the system this year.

Reactions: 2 users
West Coast don't have to trade to get Baker they can get him for free.
Sooo we better hope he chooses Freo
How often does this happen though?
A player walking to the PSD. My memory isn’t great but Bachar Houli, Jack Martin? Luke Ball to the ND not PSD. How many others?

Reactions: 1 user
I d

I don't think Blair could get bullied by Dimma. He's not dense.

It would have been a calculated risk the club were willing to take to try win another flag. It's backfired because Hardwick bailed, but bullying isn't the way I'd describe things.

From what I've seen, Blair has a huge list of when folks are coming out of contract. They have an estimate for what the player would cost. Then there's discussion about whether they're a potential to be dislodged from the existing club and whether the coach feels they could fill they fill a positional need.

No metaphorical guns to heads. No subterfuge.
Not because Hardwick bailed although that didn’t help, but because
all concerned took a foolish risk on Hopper, who was a mistake and should be moved on.

Might be possible that Dimma might still like him and take him on at GC?

• Haha
If we finish with pick 3 I'd be looking to trade up to pick 1 or 2 to secure O’Sullivan. Norf currently has only pick 1 then pick 22; Hawf 2 then 38. Both clubs could potentially see Luke Trainor as a better fit than another mid (Norf more likely) and be willing to trade for 3 plus a teens pick.
What would you prefer 1 or 3 and 23?
FOS would need to be a very decent footballer.
Because you'll get 2 decent footballers with 3 and 23.

I get it. We need to aim high.

We accumulated 9 picks specifically to trade with clubs that don't want to over pay (by burning very high picks) for their academy and father/son kids. If you watched the draft last year this was so commonplace that the AFL will change the rules to make the practice more difficult. Richmond are banking on the rules being changed next year, not this year as we have strategically placed ourselves to take advantage of the system this year.
Of those 9 picks we have 41, 42, 49,59, 65, 70.
All up they are worth pick 11.
Throw in our 31 and the value is pick 5.
That might just buy an Ashcroft with the discount, but it is probably short. But of course Brisbane have a few picks.
SO we could trade the last 7 for Brisbane's pick.
(Again i'd expect brisbane to rise up by the end of the season)

Or we could trade with Carlton.
They need double points to gey both Camporeale boys.
Our last 6 would be a good trade for their first pick.
(Again i'd expect the blues to rise up by the end of the season)
How do carlton get enough points for the 2nd campo? Their picks may just be enough. Maybe just.
So they will want maximum poimts from their trade and would be looking for better than our last 6.

But there's not many clubs who could offer something similar.
Geelong can package all their picks together to value pick 7. Great for brissies ashcroft, unlikely to be worthwhile for carltons campo.
Melbourne can get points similar to ours at value p13. Or use their first to target brissie.
Maybe saints or someother club can do a deal after horse trading players.
But its a buyers market.

We should get another pick but i'd guess in the 10-14 range.
If we strike it well it might be 7-9

Contracted for 3 more years until 2027.
Dont see how he falls out
Poor choice of words. By fall out I meant potentially available.

Wasn’t aware of his contract status but he is a 3rd key forward and relief ruck and often those type of players look for other opportunities. If he signed to 2027 that is less likely now of course

If we finish with pick 3 I'd be looking to trade up to pick 1 or 2 to secure O’Sullivan. Norf currently has only pick 1 then pick 22; Hawf 2 then 38. Both clubs could potentially see Luke Trainor as a better fit than another mid (Norf more likely) and be willing to trade for 3 plus a teens pick.
Exactly. If Norf feel compelled to take Smillie or Trainor (which they should be), then if they were smart (they’re not), then they'd trade down in the Draft. With us.

What would you prefer 1 or 3 and 23?
FOS would need to be a very decent footballer.
Because you'll get 2 decent footballers with 3 and 23.

I get it. We need to aim high.
I would prefer FOS. He's the best player in the draft and exactly what we need.

No way i trade 3 for 8 and 10.
It might work out. Maybe.

But we need talent like Cotch, Dusty, Lids.
And so we gotta aim high

Yeah I agree, I don't think we'd do it either, but I think GC will try to get up the draft 1st, but if they can't it then depends on what they can get in next years draft

I'd do that too. I really liked the look of O'Sullivan

A player walking to the PSD. My memory isn’t great but Bachar Houli, Jack Martin? Luke Ball to the ND not PSD. How many others?

Don't worry. I suspect Zips was watching Footy Classified last night where Cornes was saying that West Coast needed to drop being mr nice guy and take someone in the PSD (Baker). I can't see how Baker would do that to us, he would be very clear that its done with a fair trade IMO. Sometimes relationships are more important than a bit of a gain in trade value.

Reactions: 5 users
It doesn't matter. He can go through the preseason.
I reckon we get a few back Yze will want to start winning games.
I doubt that we will finish on less then 5wins

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry. I suspect Zips was watching Footy Classified last night where Cornes was saying that West Coast needed to drop being mr nice guy and take someone in the PSD (Baker). I can't see how Baker would do that to us, he would be very clear that its done with a fair trade IMO. Sometimes relationships are more important than a bit of a gain in trade value.

Don't forget that Matt Clark is their list manager now & he definitely wouldn't screw us like that.

To show how much Cornhead knows about us, he's saying that Hugo is too old for us to be playing him. Just like Broad, Picket etc etc.
I guess 22 is pretty old!!!!.
Wanker.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users