The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
I reckon we need a tall forward who can ruck. Especially as we look to replace Jack.

I wonder if a club just up the road might have one up for trade if they cant get rid of their over priced ruckman.

Ah yes, I see where you're going with this...

Behold!

download.jpeg

(Mason telling us how many good games he's played in his career)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Agree. Mabior Chol is doing very well in the role...

Could we get him back?
Nah, the Suns have realised a ruckman who doesnt like physical contact isnt ideal, so he does very little ruck work now.
If Chol was on our list he would be competing with Cumberland for the role of medium opportunistic forward.

Reactions: 3 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Nah, the Suns have realised a ruckman who doesnt like physical contact isnt ideal, so he does very little ruck work now.
If Chol was on our list he would be competing with Cumberland for the role of medium opportunistic forward.

Is it that, or that Witts actually rucks near all game now. No-one else really rucks at GC. Add to that Gold Coast not wanting to move there number 1 forward away from the forward line.

He's a 25 year old, 200 cm forward ruck who will kick 50 goals (currently 8th), and take the 13th most contested marks in the AFL this year (you don't do that if you don't like physical contact).

He would also be playing forward/ruck instead of Balta in our team, not Cumberland. Allowing us the badly needed move of Balta back.

Heck, we're likely to play bloody Ben Miller as forward ruck this week.

He would be playing. Crazy talk to suggest he wouldn't.

You need to eat your humble pie and see he would be extremely valuable for us this year and into the future.

Reactions: 6 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Are you watching him play this year? He's coming at the ball, marking strongly in front and in packs. Having a great year. This narrative he only lurks out the back is less true than it ever was.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Chol is indeed attacking the ball now that he’s numero uno. Always been strong on the lead.
But once King returns from injury he’ll be forced to play second fiddle again which didn’t suit him at Richmond and yet to be seen at Suns.
Put body on him and he doesn’t or can’t compete so will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Is it that, or that Witts actually rucks near all game now. No-one else really rucks at GC. Add to that Gold Coast not wanting to move there number 1 forward away from the forward line.

He's a 25 year old, 200 cm forward ruck who will kick 50 goals (currently 8th), and take the 13th most contested marks in the AFL this year (you don't do that if you don't like physical contact).

He would also be playing forward/ruck instead of Balta in our team, not Cumberland. Allowing us the badly needed move of Balta back.

You need to eat your humble pie and see he would be extremely valuable for us this year and into the future.
I know some have a liking for 200cm small forwards, so i appreciate your support of Chol.
Chol is 13th in contested mark, 20th in average for the season. What I have seen in those contested marks are generally 1-1 battles. He took 2 i reckon against us. Both times he held Miller out of the way and marked. Good forward play, but not any indication of seeking contact. His last goal against us is a good indication of how he plays. The Suns are 2 goals down with 2 mins to play. The ball is booted to the top of the square. Chol, who would be 5cm taller than anyone else there, had a choice of hitting the pack to make sure we didnt take a match saving mark or fist it 20mts clear. He didnt, he stayed back. it worked on that occasion cos we f'd it right up, but if his opponent stayed with him he would have been useless in that contest.
Similarly 1 minute later he was standing shoulder to shoulder with Dylan Grimes when the ball was kicked into the Suns 50. Chol stood still while Grimes ran 10 mts to attack the ball. Grimes should have taken a match saving uncontested mark, while Chol was still standing in the same spot. He did move pretty quickly once Grimes spilt the mark and it got knocked in his direction.
Chol is 200cm, and close to the quickest tall in the game, Most weeks he has a height and speed advantage on his opponent. He has taken 8 marks on the lead all year. Why? Because he doesnt work. Jack Riewoldt, who often gives up size and speed to his opponent has taken 25. Why? because he works and works and works.
Chol, the 200cm gazelle who is a contested marking beast is 20th in the league in marks i50. Why? Because he looks for space, and if there isnt any, doesnt attack the ball.
He is 29th in the league for tall forward score involvements, with 4.8, well behind a washed up Jack Riewoldt.
Chol averages less tackles than Riewoldt per game. why? Because he doesnt work.
A washed up Josh Kennedy is the only key forward on the goal chart who is anywhere near Chol for low disposal numbers. Why? Cos Chol doesnt work.

Yes Mabior Chol would be getting a game for us right now, ahead of bloody Ben Miller. But the last time he played in an important game for us as back up ruck/forward he was quickly dropped. Why? Because he didnt work.

If it were up to me Chol would still be playing for Richmond, but not on a 4year contract, but i really doubt his goal number are sustainable unless he starts getting more involved- unless he starts to work.

Reactions: 2 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
I know some have a liking for 200cm small forwards, so i appreciate your support of Chol.
Chol is 13th in contested mark, 20th in average for the season. What I have seen in those contested marks are generally 1-1 battles. He took 2 i reckon against us. Both times he held Miller out of the way and marked. Good forward play, but not any indication of seeking contact. His last goal against us is a good indication of how he plays. The Suns are 2 goals down with 2 mins to play. The ball is booted to the top of the square. Chol, who would be 5cm taller than anyone else there, had a choice of hitting the pack to make sure we didnt take a match saving mark or fist it 20mts clear. He didnt, he stayed back. it worked on that occasion cos we f'd it right up, but if his opponent stayed with him he would have been useless in that contest.
Similarly 1 minute later he was standing shoulder to shoulder with Dylan Grimes when the ball was kicked into the Suns 50. Chol stood still while Grimes ran 10 mts to attack the ball. Grimes should have taken a match saving uncontested mark, while Chol was still standing in the same spot. He did move pretty quickly once Grimes spilt the mark and it got knocked in his direction.
Chol is 200cm, and close to the quickest tall in the game, Most weeks he has a height and speed advantage on his opponent. He has taken 8 marks on the lead all year. Why? Because he doesnt work. Jack Riewoldt, who often gives up size and speed to his opponent has taken 25. Why? because he works and works and works.
Chol, the 200cm gazelle who is a contested marking beast is 20th in the league in marks i50. Why? Because he looks for space, and if there isnt any, doesnt attack the ball.
He is 29th in the league for tall forward score involvements, with 4.8, well behind a washed up Jack Riewoldt.
Chol averages less tackles than Riewoldt per game. why? Because he doesnt work.
A washed up Josh Kennedy is the only key forward on the goal chart who is anywhere near Chol for low disposal numbers. Why? Cos Chol doesnt work.

Yes Mabior Chol would be getting a game for us right now, ahead of bloody Ben Miller. But the last time he played in an important game for us as back up ruck/forward he was quickly dropped. Why? Because he didnt work.

If it were up to me Chol would still be playing for Richmond, but not on a 4year contract, but i really doubt his goal number are sustainable unless he starts getting more involved- unless he starts to work.
Is it just me or do you get the feeling Brodders believes Chol is a fan of the Uncanny X Men.
“Everybody wants to work, nah nah not me”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
WTF???
Balta is 22y.o.n Bolton is 23y.o. Would expect a mid to start hitting their peak years at about four years in the system, so Sonsie would be coming on song as a 23y.o. n Balta n Bolton would both be right in the sweet spot at about 25 to 26 y.o. Nowhere near being over their peaks.
I did say that Sonsie as the lead mid.... unlikely he is 23yo and our lead mid. Prestia is the classic example of playing #1 at 26yo to 28/30.

peak starts generally at 100 games, so around 5 years. Sonsie starting to be peak.
23 yo Bolton would be 28 and be at the top of his game (scary enough!).

Point being is we want the players all in the sweet spot together, just as we've had with Jack, Cotch, Shedda, Dusty, Grimes and Rancey

PS I've followed your calculations... 4 years added on to 22 and 23 is 25 and 26. Good numbers!

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Watching the game tonight, the player we should be going for is De Goey. He's the exact type of player we would benefit from, great around the clearances, acceleration, moves the ball quickly.

We just need some significant safeguards in his contract in the event he stuffs up again.

Reactions: 6 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
Watching the game tonight, the player we should be going for is De Goey. He's the exact type of player we would benefit from, great around the clearances, acceleration, moves the ball quickly.

We just need some significant safeguards in his contract in the event he stuffs up again.
And won’t cost us any picks. With Dusty closer to the end

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

He is there best player by a country mile.
I believe he is going to stkilda because
Collingwood have already got McStay, Hill and Tarranto agreeing to come over.
Not sure how other clubs have locked players in for 2023 but again we seem to be silent.
The news we are after Tarranto & Hopper might be true, but both have agreed to join other clubs.

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
He is there best player by a country mile.
I believe he is going to stkilda because
Collingwood have already got McStay, Hill and Tarranto agreeing to come over.
Not sure how other clubs have locked players in for 2023 but again we seem to be silent.
The news we are after Tarranto & Hopper might be true, but both have agreed to join other clubs.
If Taranto and Hopper go to other clubs I believe we must chase DeGoey.
A forward line of DeGoey, Dusty,Lynch and Shai would be a nightmare for any defence to handle. Samson Ryan may come on as well.
We’d then still have 3 picks under 30.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
If Taranto and Hopper go to other clubs I believe we must chase DeGoey.
A forward line of DeGoey, Dusty,Lynch and Shai would be a nightmare for any defence to handle. Samson Ryan may come on as well.
We’d then still have 3 picks under 30.
Agree especially because he is a free agent
We at least have to make Collingwood pay overs if they keep him.
If Degoey stays on a 4yr 750k contract.
We are fked. We should be on his hear 800k 5 yrs + bonuses .
Bend them over. Especially now they are trying to get Grundy out.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Yep I have been banging on about this as well. He is a game changer. Would cost us nothing in terms of draft picks. Pick up De Goey and if we miss out on Taranto then so be it. Take our picks to draft

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I did say that Sonsie as the lead mid.... unlikely he is 23yo and our lead mid. Prestia is the classic example of playing #1 at 26yo to 28/30.

peak starts generally at 100 games, so around 5 years. Sonsie starting to be peak.
23 yo Bolton would be 28 and be at the top of his game (scary enough!).

Point being is we want the players all in the sweet spot together, just as we've had with Jack, Cotch, Shedda, Dusty, Grimes and Rancey

PS I've followed your calculations... 4 years added on to 22 and 23 is 25 and 26. Good numbers!
If Sonsie is a " premium " quality mid n not just a decent honest role playing mid, then I'd be expecting him to be presenting as a lead mid at about 23y.o. Considering Sonz has already spent his first year in the system, by my calculations he'd need another three years to be into his fourth year. In three years time Balta currently 22 would be 25y.o. n Shai currently 23 would be 26y.o.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I reckon we need a tall forward who can ruck. Especially as we look to replace Jack.

I wonder if a club just up the road might have one up for trade if they cant get rid of their over priced ruckman.
we have one, Samson Ryan

We do need another key forward coming through though. Interestingly we are playing Biggie in that role at VFL level in recent weeks

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Yeh, anyone bagging him mustn't watch many Suns games. And he's only gonna get better. I don't think we could match the Suns offer though and he would not have got the opportunity with us he has with the Suns.