The difference bw this and last year. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The difference bw this and last year.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Listening to MMM Brereton said that richmond had turned their weakness into their strength. He was referring to our midfield, and the centre bounce clearences.

I can't agree any more with this. The acquisition of Johnson and the emergence of Coughlan appear to be just what we have been waiting for to turn the club around.

I don't want to sound like I'm Rogers bashing (again) but when he was in the centre bounce (while tagging crawford) early in the game we were in dissaray and were getting beaten in the centre. This was because we were effectively a man down - The hawks had 3 onballers to our 2, as Rogers was chasing crawford around and was nowhere near the ball.

When Frawely made the change of having Coughlan, Campbell and Johnson in the square, thats when things turned around. We killed them after that in the middle. And this got things rolling as there was a flow on effect -players were running harder, manning up, supporting etc. It all started from the middle. I'm confident that having these 3 in the midlle that we can challenge any team in bounce downs.

Speaking to a Hawks mate during the week I said to him that we will win because we will beat them in the centre bounces. I was very nervous early on about my prediction however.

Krakour - what a brilliant game - all class and looks dangerous evertime he got near the ball. All class and hopefully he can go on with it and make opposition defenders look ordinary. To all you out there that haven't seen McGrath, he is just as good, but has more elements in his game (like jumping over houses).

Coughlan - put your money on him for the brownlow - now.

A few negatives though.

- Our first quarter was disgraceful and the lack of run all over the ground was pathetic.

- We beat Hawthorn who are known for their hot and cold performances. I think we saw both sides today.

- Rogers - I don't want to upset anyone but IMO he is still not good enough, too many errors. Was asigned to tag Crawford but got beaten

- Pettifer - is showing more and more that he hasn't got it. Give hyde a go.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Harry
Pettifer - is showing more and more that he hasn't got it.
Totally agree... I have been one to give him a go before but like many people have said before his constant appealing for free kicks and lack of ability to get the ball have become glaringly obvious in an otherwise fully committed team.
IMO he needs to go back to Coburg for a very long time and not be given another game until his attitude improves and he is able to play consistently good match influencing football!
Like you said Harry give Hyde a go or Mills... this may happen now anyway and due to the injury to Richo ( I guess Vardy or Holland will come in) but perhaps Frawley will give Biddiscombe a chance. I say go for one of the kids ....

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigerdog said:
perhaps Frawley will give Biddiscombe a chance. I say go for one of the kids ....

Interesting one Td....

My opinion is to go for the player with the best form, if he fills the teams needs for the week, regardless of age.

The kids need experience when they've earned it but not token selection.

If Bidders is in the best form select him. (Is that a good sell from the Bidders Fan Club VP, ha ;D )

I think we should name the best 22 available each week.

We also need kids coming on. If one warrants selection then drop one back who isn't performing up to AFL standard. Any volunteers?

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Agree Harry with most of what you say. We have turned our weakness into the strength by adding Johnson, Cogs and Rodan to the midfield mix. So now Campo and Bowden can play their more natural game. Campo still puts his body in and wins the hard ball but he no longer has to do it alone. We are alot fitter as a side IMO as well.

Harry said:
- Our first quarter was disgraceful and the lack of run all over the ground was pathetic.
We were flat. No run whatsoever. Seems the 5 day break had that effect as opposed to us running out of gas towards the end of the match. The normal 7 day break we now have should freshen the boys up for next week.

- We beat Hawthorn who are known for their hot and cold performances. I think we saw both sides today.
Often weaker sides go full out at the start to keep pace or even get ahead of their more fancied rivals. Problem is you can't keep that up for a full game. Hawthorn aren't good enough. Mentally we were miles stronger than they were yesterday.

- Rogers - I don't want to upset anyone but IMO he is still not good enough, too many errors. Was asigned to tag Crawford but got beaten
I wasn't suprised Rogers tagged Crawford as he beat Crawford last year in round 20. I think yesterday showed we are better to take on opposition midfields at first then if someone on their side is dominating, only tag then. We haven't lost in the midfield all year (Collingwood game was lost to poor disposal and blind bombing going forward).

Rogers may play FF next week with Richo out.

- Pettifer - is showing more and more that he hasn't got it. Give hyde a go.
Give him a run in the middle at Coburg and keep him there for a few weeks at least. If he dominates then bring him back in.

Once again I doubt we will make a unforced change to a winning combination especially with Richo missing. Looks like injury has saved Kayne again. Duncan is available but he may play for Coburg. I would go for Shultz or McGrath before Mills, Vardy or Hyde. Bidders days as an AFL player are over.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Thats what frustrates me - not making changes to a winning team. If Blumfield didn't get injured last week then Krakour would not have got a game this week - and we all know what Krakour did this week.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
If Blumfield didn't get injured then IMO Krakouer would have come in and Kayne would've been given a run with Coburg.

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
For me the main differences between this year and last year reside mainly in our defence - we have statstically the best defence going around at the moment and have two pillars in Kellaway and Gaspar and manage to build a formidable unit around them.

As for our midfield, the leading trio of Johnson, Coughlan and Campbell is top-notch.

The forward line is variable and adaptable - no Richmond player has kicked more then 9 goals this year, which goes to show that the effort to have innumerable options up forward has paid off.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Wagstaff, IMHO, our defence has been solid for several years now. Our problems have been in the midfield and up forward.

The defence is reaping the benefits of a solid midfield able to move the ball forward on a regular basis, thus reducing the pressure that has generally been applied to our defenders.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Like most people I'd agree that the single biggest change to our team this year is the midfield. The addition of Johnson and the development of *smile* (and to a slighly lesser extent Rodan) is that start of the chain.

1. It wins us more hard balls - if we have the ball, the defence has less to do and is in a better position to handle it when the ball does come down.

2. It lets Tivo and Bowden run ahead and behind the ball making attacks more dangerous (we have the best inside 50 to score ratio in the comp right now), defense easier and transition between the two faster.

3. Confidence. The whole team walks taller when it feels it can control, or even just compete for, the ball. This confidence extends throughout the team and gives it mental strength, like we saw on Saturday.

However, a second factor in our improvement (so far) apears to be a delberate attempt to muscle up to the competition. *smile*, Rodan, Fleming play take no prisoners footy. Staff is playing his part as a big man. Like control of the ball, this brings a level of mental strength to the team.