The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
They did make a Grand Final on the road in the hubs though Sin, and but for one bloke probably would have won it.
Yes, to me that and 2019 were their only real chances with this crop of players but their ladder position in other years flattered them.

I just don’t think playing a lot on their narrow ground with a massive home ground advantage helps them in the end.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
For mine another facter is that all we hear from them around Finals time is whingeing about not being able to host Finals on their home ground, if the talk inside the Club is the same as outside it to the media - and i have no reason to believe it isn't - they are essentially running out knowing in their own minds they have a huge disadvantage when in reality it's only a perceived one. This may explain why they have been jumped early so many times in recent yrs.
Yeah. Not sure it is a disadvantage but the loss of an advantage.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Yes, to me that and 2019 were their only real chances with this crop of players but their ladder position in other years flattered them.

I just don’t think playing a lot on their narrow ground with a massive home ground advantage helps them in the end.
Spot on Sin.

I did some quick calcs on the H&A at the dump v MCG and all finals for the last 10 years.
Wins at KP = 85.5%
Wins at MCG = 67.5%
Wins in finals (all venues) = 43.5%

Their home ground is a massive advantage. Odd shape, they know the prevailing winds, packed with rabid numpties, umpires can't help but be influenced/intimidated. They can beat up on weak teams and beat or contest strong teams.

Still a good win/loss ratio at the MCG for H&A games but as for finals performance I'd say their game plan isn't suited to the increased pressure and maybe now a mental fragility creeping in.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Spot on Sin.

I did some quick calcs on the H&A at the dump v MCG and all finals for the last 10 years.
Wins at KP = 85.5%
Wins at MCG = 67.5%
Wins in finals (all venues) = 43.5%

Their home ground is a massive advantage. Odd shape, they know the prevailing winds, packed with rabid numpties, umpires can't help but be influenced/intimidated. They can beat up on weak teams and beat or contest strong teams.

Still a good win/loss ratio at the MCG for H&A games but as for finals performance I'd say their game plan isn't suited to the increased pressure and maybe now a mental fragility creeping in.
I’m a bit surprised their kardinia park record is not even better than that.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
For mine another facter is that all we hear from them around Finals time is whingeing about not being able to host Finals on their home ground, if the talk inside the Club is the same as outside it to the media - and i have no reason to believe it isn't - they are essentially running out knowing in their own minds they have a huge disadvantage when in reality it's only a perceived one. This may explain why they have been jumped early so many times in recent yrs.
Exactly.We didn't have to plant any seed of doubt each time we play the cats when it matters.Chris Scott does it for us.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Exactly.We didn't have to plant any seed of doubt each time we play the cats when it matters.Chris Scott does it for us.
It is weird how Scott does that. I never understood his song and dance in ‘17 about playing us at the G in the QF. They’d dominated us, regardless of venue, for 10 years. Yet he got all precious about playing us at the G. It absolutely sewed the seeds of doubt in his teams head, then Dusty did what he does.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I think from memory the 90% was over the last 10 seasons.
Thanks Tim. Same period.

90% could be the correct number or it could be a case of journalistic licence (rounding, laziness, favouritism). Or I'm out by 1.5%. :cool:

Either way it's a terrific record down at their dump of a bowling alley.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Geelol have 2 more years of making finals but not taking home the prize
they will collapse and be a mediocre team for a decade

But the best part is Clangerfield will retire without a premiership medallion and always bee known as Dusty's Bi*ch

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The SCats are always sooking about not getting any finals at Kardiniya Park, and when they were given one, they got rolled by the Dockers:rotfl1:rotfl2:banana

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne

As the GF is scheduled to be played at the G for the foreseeable future (global pandemics aside), I would have thought playing every possible game there would be the way to go. It seems every team in the league requests games there apart from the Cats who seem to be happy just making the finals.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
I agree Jonesy but it's not whingeing. I thought it was as well but when I mentioned Hardwick and Gale whingeing about playing to Marvel or rule changes I found out it is great leadership and standing up to the AFL and the players love it and feel empowered by it.
I think you'll find the cats have whinged many more times than us. Also when Hardwick said it I'm pretty sure it was in answer to the poor crowd. Therefore sticking up for supporters. Chris Scott carries on about it every year.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
In my opinion the cats have the best of both worlds. They have a major home ground advantage that no other team in victoria enjoys. Plus they get quite a few games at the MCG, more than any other team with their out and out home ground advantage, to prepare themselves for finals.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
In my opinion the cats have the best of both worlds. They have a major home ground advantage that no other team in victoria enjoys. Plus they get quite a few games at the MCG, more than any other team with their out and out home ground advantage, to prepare themselves for finals.
Means nothing through there MCG form in finals is not great at all and they continue go missing.

Last edited:

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
They play almost all of their gmbhgddtffy games against mostly minnows and interstate teams.
The win loss ratio is heavily skewed.
Long may it continue because they collectively empty their bowels on the big stage.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
It's at the stage where all u need to do is mention to them before the opening bounce that it's a Final, certain players suddenly become allergic to the ball.