The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Their biggest problem is they have "stars" who constantly go MIA in big games. Why they re-signed Rohan is as mind boggling as recruiting him in the 1st place.
Rubdown stats, 3 grand finals appearances for a total of 10 possessions, enough said!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
For as long as we live well look back over the last 5 years and consider it a massive success. Something that brings pure unbridled joy to our hearts and will always draw a smile.

I doubt Cats fans will have the same feelings.
Guessing the Moggies fans felt exactly the same way about 7-9-11 as we felt about 17- 19- 20, only difference is that ours was far more recent n we're still basking in the afterglow.

Reactions: 1 user
Guessing the Moggies fans felt exactly the same way about 7-9-11 as we felt about 17- 19- 20, only difference is that ours was far more recent n we're still basking in the afterglow.

Nah, we're happier. We've got a back to back. Hawks and Lions fans happier than us.

I swear I’ve seen more news/ sports stories on tv and in the paper about these pricks in the past month, than all the other clubs combined. It’s like they are being hyped up as the flag favourites. I hope the players take notice and let the press inflate their already large egos and they go into free fall
Setting them up for a fall I reckon. I think this could be the year they drop. Their prelim performance showed that they are not even close.

Reactions: 1 users
If I climb mt everest I am not going to stop 20 feet from the summit and claim success.
They keep themselves at Basecamp every year. Not freak Street. Kathmandu. The cats contend annually. That's admiral. I hated Geelong for the beltings we copped for a decade. I don't like Scott, Dangerfield and for their own supporters getting into finals annually is not enough. I know one cats supporter. Very frustrated. Obviously a little bit wrong with what Scott is doing.
I'll have to wait for practice matches to see if we've transformed back into good Richmond of 2020. Or the crappy 2021 version is the new Richmond

Interesting question. Unlike other leagues/sports around the world there is no real reward for coming anything but first in the AFL. So in the AFL, yes I reckon one team wins and 17 teams lose each year.

Here's a hypothetical...as a member/supporter of the RFC, what would you prefer over the next 10 years:

Option A: 1 flag and 9 wooden spoons
Option B: 10 grand final appearances but no premiership.

Highly unlike I know for either option to come true but honestly I'd take Option A.

definitely A.

I think id also take C - 10 wooden spoons.

over B to be honest.

it'd be *smile* expensive and personally and institutionally soul destroying losing grandfinals for 10 years

you'de feel like Ross Lyon, in a Collingwood jumper, on steroids

• Haha
TBR is right that Geelong have been very successful (on a winning percent metric).

But it’s an all or nothing measurement stick for 99% of fans commentators and supporters.

You are either building for the next flag or winning it.

Brutal with 18 teams. Can expect 4 or 5 in a lifetime (depending on vac approach ) but you might get zero. This has been a golden age.

• Love
TBR is right that Geelong have been very successful (on a winning percent metric).

But it’s an all or nothing measurement stick for 99% of fans commentators and supporters.

You are either building for the next flag or winning it.

Brutal with 18 teams. Can expect 4 or 5 in a lifetime (depending on vac approach ) but you might get zero. This has been a golden age.

had fun with a Geelong mate recently, he was saying "winning premierships is hard, even if you make the GF".. I laughed and said "no mate, it's easy. Richmond 3/3 in the last 5 years"

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
had fun with a Geelong mate recently, he was saying "winning premierships is hard, even if you make the GF".. I laughed and said "no mate, it's easy. Richmond 3/3 in the last 5 years"
Statistically finals are easier to win than normal if you are playing GeeLOL.

Reactions: 4 users
There is no doubt that Geelong have been a very good team for the last decade. Making finals, making PFs, even making a Grand Final, is a great effort. But this game is about premierships and the fact is that not winning one in that period has to be considered a failure.

If you think Geelong have been a great side over the last 10 seasons, then I suppose you would also be lauding Collingwood in the 60s and 70s, but I reckon the Collingwood fans back then were pretty upset, and although we do remember Collingwood from that era, and their great players, we also remember them as the team that couldn't. We even invented a word for this: Colliwobbles.

All AFL teams know this, you are judged by premierships.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
There is no doubt that Geelong have been a very good team for the last decade. Making finals, making PFs, even making a Grand Final, is a great effort. But this game is about premierships and the fact is that not winning one in that period has to be considered a failure.

If you think Geelong have been a great side over the last 10 seasons, then I suppose you would also be lauding Collingwood in the 60s and 70s, but I reckon the Collingwood fans back then were pretty upset, and although we do remember Collingwood from that era, and their great players, we also remember them as the team that couldn't. We even invented a word for this: Colliwobbles.

DS
Geelong 21st century d. Collingwood 60s-70s 3-nil?

If "success" is having a 90% h&a win rate at your home ground but a finals record of 7 wins from 22 finals @ 32%, over the last decade, then they've been a roaring "success".

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If "success" is having a 90% h&a win rate at your home ground but a finals record of 7 wins from 22 finals @ 32%, over the last decade, then they've been a roaring "success".

Perhaps a "meowing" success.

Reactions: 4 users
Geelong 21st century d. Collingwood 60s-70s 3-nil?

I was comparing last decade, ie: 2012-2021. The question really is whether you consider consistently making finals but not winning the flag to be a success? I wouldn't, but I would add a rider, they were contending and damned close to winning. When you are that close you have to go for it, but not succeeding is where it comes a cropper.

Hard to see what else Geelong should have done, but also hard to call it a successful 10 years when you have got close and not won a flag. Also they have made sacrifices in terms of their future which has to bite sooner or later.

DS

DS
I judge the last decade Cats the same way that i judge the '90's Cats. A good team with some great players that could never get it done when it mattered.

Reactions: 2 users