The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The problem for Salty Scott is that even if he makes a valid point no one listens because he has form as a serial whinger.
Not sure this is valid however because the players were in a bubble and were being tested constantly so the chances of them having COVID were pretty low.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Whinging after the fact when a bunch of his players got gastro that it might have been covid phhhhhht.
Firstly with all the covid circus going on the last couple of years, I'm pretty sure his team doctors would have been right on top of all the regulations n testing required to keep McGowan quiet.
Secondly n probably more importantly, I got me a feeling gastro symptoms are usually a little bit different to covid symptoms n the doctors would have a fair idea of which one is what.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
I get your point but I look at Geelong who had the same timeframe as us. They made semi finals in 2021 and are the oldest playing group. Finishing in October wasn’t our reason for our 2021 12th position.
When your the hunted for 4yrs straight it takes its toll.And you have to remember we do share our home ground with 3 other sides.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Whinging after the fact when a bunch of his players got gastro that it might have been covid phhhhhht.
Firstly with all the covid circus going on the last couple of years, I'm pretty sure his team doctors would have been right on top of all the regulations n testing required to keep McGowan quiet.
Secondly n probably more importantly, I got me a feeling gastro symptoms are usually a little bit different to covid symptoms n the doctors would have a fair idea of which one is what.
Exactly, was about to say the same.

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I'm not so sure about that, I think they lost to a better side in 2019 and a better player in 2020.

I guess my point is they were the second best side in the competition two years in a row and led the best side for half a game in the finals. That's not captured in a finals record but it's a great couple of seasons work.

you are giving Richmond no credit for having their own plans.

we clearly pride ourselves on elite stamina, gut running back and forth, across individual quarters but also across four quarters.

our plan was likely to be within reach of Geelong at half time of both the 2019 PF and 2020 GF.

we knew we'd run over them on both occasions.

clear as day.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
you are giving Richmond no credit for having their own plans.

we clearly pride ourselves on elite stamina, gut running back and forth, across individual quarters but also across four quarters.

our plan was likely to be within reach of Geelong at half time of both the 2019 PF and 2020 GF.

we knew we'd run over them on both occasions.

clear as day.
probably helped by our elite game day coach who is able to make the necessary in game changes to swing things when needed.

These are the cats last halves of the season for the last 3 years, they were in each game at half time, but lost the 2nd halves by a combined total of 176 points. is it a lack of fitness or a lack of heart?

2021: 1.5-10.5
2020: 2.3-9.7
2019: 2.4-8.8

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
the geriatric Cats couldn’t keep up Some were in need of their afternoon nap whilst others it was past their bedtime

Last edited:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
are 1-6 in qualifying finals, 1-5 in prelims, 0-2 in elimination finals and 0-1 in grand finals. That's 2 wins, 14 losses in finals against teams that finished in the same half of the 8 as them.
Best stat use ever Spooker.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
No, I give Richmond plenty of credit. The difference is I'm also prepared to give Geelong credit for being a good side.

Its been pointed out, with sufficient data, without the late great L2R2,

That they were a very good H + A side,

And a very poor finals side.

There is no % in finals for good reason, final scores dont matter a *smile*,

half time scores dont matter a *smile* X 2.

Agree you cant really argue they wernt the 2nd best side in 2020, but thats pretty meaningless

there was a chasm between 1st best and 2nd best in 2017-2020.

And you could barely split 2nd best and 6th best 2018-2020.

Its been said for yearson here. scott came up with an Autumn and Winter game plan, started on 40 points a year, courtesy of their bogan soccer field, had men on the inside engineering the rules to suit.

And they failed, miserably, when the whips were cracking, time and time again.

I reckon they were a very ordinary side, who were well coached for the first 75% of the season

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
I actually don't think they are a poor finals side. What I think has happened is they have had a run of being the third or fourth best side in the competition.

When you do that, you are going to beat most teams in home and away footy but come finals you will likely lose the first one, win the second and lose the third. Therefore you are only winning 1 in 3 finals and your record looks poor.

That theory is supported by them being in the last 4 teams so often in the past decade but rarely making the last two.

Some people seem to think a poor finals record is a point of ridicule but my take is it is almost as hard to make a preliminary final as it is a grand final and to consistently do so makes you a very successful side. Not ultimately successful but still very successful.
I would have thought the ultimate measure of success, is the number of cups in the cupboard.

Reactions: 7 users

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
I actually don't think they are a poor finals side. What I think has happened is they have had a run of being the third or fourth best side in the competition.

When you do that, you are going to beat most teams in home and away footy but come finals you will likely lose the first one, win the second and lose the third. Therefore you are only winning 1 in 3 finals and your record looks poor.

That theory is supported by them being in the last 4 teams so often in the past decade but rarely making the last two.

Some people seem to think a poor finals record is a point of ridicule but my take is it is almost as hard to make a preliminary final as it is a grand final and to consistently do so makes you a very successful side. Not ultimately successful but still very successful.
Good take. They’ve been a fantastic side for a very long time now. I suppose the criticism is how long you go being an almost ran. I think they need to make some hard decisions and inject some youth. Also their game plan doesn’t seem to last four quarters in the chaos of finals football.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Their overall finals record since 2011 is something like 7-14 I think. Like I said, 3rd or 4th best, win 1, lose 2.

it's the manner of the losses as well as the stats, TBR. C. Scott wants to execute the perfect game but finals don't require perfect footy, they require winning enough moments. chaos allows for more of these moments to occur.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I think they need to make some hard decisions and inject some youth.
Haaarrrgh what youth? Cryan, Partfit, FarkNarkle, the invisible Guffrie n Henries Jackson. Not much there to elevate them any time soon