The Jordan McMahon kick and what happened in the Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Jordan McMahon kick and what happened in the Draft

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Was looking through to find Richmond stuff today as I found myself a little sad with Dave and now today’s retirement of Houli.

We often speak of Dusty being a generational type player.

I may upset a few here but I truly believe that without Dusty we don’t win those three premierships , let alone be the club we are today.

Sometimes it’s true that ONE player can be the difference.

Interesting video I came across. It’s shows how drafting is such a lottery but more luck too.

I was there that day. Rode that kick from Jordan McMahon and then listened to the Melb supporters cheering and singing ‘our’ song.

We got this one right and the rest is history.

**Im flat we are not playing finals and seeing Dusty strut his stuff for us Tiger fans. To bring us some joy in these Covid times**

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Isn't it well-established that we would have taken Dusty even with pick 1?

That vid comes across as a Melbourne supporter's revisionist history and whatifification to excuse their club's gross negligence and poor judgement.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Was looking through to find Richmond stuff today as I found myself a little sad with Dave and now today’s retirement of Houli.

We often speak of Dusty being a generational type player.

I may upset a few here but I truly believe that without Dusty we don’t win those three premierships , let alone be the club we are today.

Sometimes it’s true that ONE player can be the difference.

Interested video I came across. It’s shows how drafting is such a lottery but more luck too.

We got this one right and the rest is history.

**Im flat we are not playing finals and seeing Dusty strut his stuff for us Tiger fans. To bring us some joy in these Covid times**

Sad to see DTLD & Bash finish up but let's celebrate their wonderful careers.
We'll be back next year, 'Ol Mate.
The boys will be well rested then put in a big preseason.
Dusty is on the mend and the great man will be looking to have a big return in '22.
Go Tiges!

Reactions: 1 user

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs

That vid comes across as a Melbourne supporter's revisionist history and whatifification to excuse their club's gross negligence and poor judgement.

I think the guy that put up the video is a Tigers supporter.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Sad to see DTLD & Bash finish up but let's celebrate their wonderful careers.
We'll be back next year, 'Ol Mate.
The boys will be well rested then put in a big preseason.
Dusty is on the mend and the great man will be looking to have a big return in '22.
Go Tiges!
Dusty is the sort of character that will have taken 2021 personally I reckon, and will be out to atone.

If he knows his great mates in Jackmond and Chimp might be going around for the last time, I wouldnt be surprised if the Tiger King really stamps himself on 2022 to try and get that last Medal with them and for them.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Spot on spook. No matter what pick we got that year, as long as Martin was there we were taking him.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Spot on spook. No matter what pick we got that year, as long as Martin was there we were taking him.
I've never seen that actually confirmed. From memory Sydney offered two good picks to get pick 3 as they wanted him. And to emphasise what spook has said, Dusty has been on record as saying that Melbourne did not even speak to him.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Some things in life and in football are just meant to be. Dusty coming to Richmond was one of them. Helped give us three flags I didn't think I'd live to see.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Dusty is the sort of character that will have taken 2021 personally I reckon, and will be out to atone.

If he knows his great mates in Jackmond and Chimp might be going around for the last time, I wouldnt be surprised if the Tiger King really stamps himself on 2022 to try and get that last Medal with them and for them.
A season better than 17 by Dusty.
Now that I want to see and witness.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It might be well established now but it's a lie. Scully and Trengove were absolute standouts as one and two that year and rightly so. There was no question they were going first and second from a long way out. If anyone else was in the mix it was John Butcher who started the year as the standout player but slid as the year progressed.
It is my recollection as well that Scully and Trengove were clear 1&2 so if we had those picks I'm under the impression we would have taken one of those guys before Dusty. I wouldn't say it is gospel; just how I recall it.

Very happy how it worked out regardless.

Reactions: 1 users

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
it was great to see the highlighting of Ty Vickery, Ben Cousins and Richard Tambling. Just goes to show players make contributions in all sorts of ways that people who mock them don't consider.

Yes the much maligned TV and Tambling as well as the recruitment of Cousins all payed off in that one passage of play in the last minute of the game to help us get Dusty!!!

Amazing!!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It is my recollection as well that Scully and Trengove were clear 1&2 so if we had those picks I'm under the impression we would have taken one of those guys before Dusty. I wouldn't say it is gospel; just how I recall it.

Very happy how it worked out regardless.
So we need to build a statue of Jordan McMahon

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Not going to upset anyone with indisputable truth I wouldn't have thought.

It might be well established now but it's a lie. Scully and Trengove were absolute standouts as one and two that year and rightly so. There was no question they were going first and second from a long way out. If anyone else was in the mix it was John Butcher who started the year as the standout player but slid as the year progressed.

The video is correct in that Dustin really only started to emerge as a high pick prospect after he had a strong under 18 championships but he was never going past those two unless they were seriously injured. And nor should he have.
I wonder whether Dusty being a working class country kid attending a local public high school had something to do with those dynamics. He wasn't part of the Private school sports factories system. So was it just a case of him not really getting the opportunity to prove himself to the recruiters until the 11th hour, because of the way the system is set up? Perhaps he was always as good (or better) than the other two, but stayed under the radar, with lack of opportunity to shine until that carnival.

Anecdotal accounts from blokes who were grown men playing with a 14-15yo Dusty at Castlemaine suggest they were aghast at how he just monstered grown men country footballers at the peak of their athletic prowess. He also had a bit of an interrupted period where he moved to Campbelltown on the outskirts of Sydney to work for his Dad. Dabbled in a bit of Rugby League, but then went and played some Aussie Rules footy in the Sydney league for Campbelltown. With the standard of club footy up there, you can only imagine how much he would have stood out. And hence the Sydney Swans were very much aware of his prowess and therefore wanted to keep it quiet. They knew he was special.

There was some technicality where they only just missed out on being able to recruit him under their local academy recruitment scheme (like they used for Isaac Heeney). Can't remember the exact technical issue they had. Think he would have needed to reside in NSW and play in Sydney for only a further month or something like that to qualify (would be interested if others can recall the exact technicality). But to our good luck, he returned to Castlemaine to play TAC cup in Victoria just in the nick of time, that he didn't fall into the Sydney Swans ring fenced recruitment pool.

There is a lot of talk from recruiters that you really need to be in the elite Private school system to give yourself every opportunity to make it. And this isn't a brand new thing. They've spoken like this for the past decade to decade and a half.

In past eras, the great thing about Australian Rules Football is that it was an 'every man's' game. There were plenty of people spread across every social class being recruited into the elite level. Sure, there were likely a lot of blokes who had come through private schoolboy footy. But it wasn't an enormous advantage or an overly necessary prerequisite. The strong grass roots club scene both in the city and the country was just as good a development tool to cut your teeth on. In fact, better in some respects, as teenage boys proving themselves against grown men demonstrated more clearly their potential to make it.

Look at the sides Essendon and Hawthorn put on the park in the 1980s. Mainly all blokes who came through strong suburban or country club footy in their powerful zones (often from working class salt of the earth clubs). Topped up with a bit of purchased talent. But the system we currently have has eviscerated salt of the earth local and district club footy, so we get forced into a situation where it's a huge advantage to you if you have the means to attend private school. Sure there are scholarships, but it's only a small subsection that get these. It means that a huge pool of talent from more modest means never gets identified, that would have in past generations.

But as a side note, I'd be interested if any of you can remember what exactly was the technicality for Dusty falling through the cracks of the ring fenced NSW recruitment pool? Putting Dusty in a side with the likes of Goodes, Kennedy and later Heeney would have been a scary prospect. In such a sliding door moment, do they nullify the latter half of Hawthorn's dominant period as well as ours never happening?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure he just hadn't lived there long enough to qualify.

I was one of those people at Castlemaine who saw him first hand, bursting out of the centre and don't arguing mature footballers. I saw him kick 4 goals in a quarter to beat the best team in the league at that stage, which now seems very familiar.

As to why he wasn't more highly rated, I think it's a complex question. Certainly moving around meant he never really got involved in the pathway programs to the same extent as others and there were certainly red flags around some of his attitudes and behaviours and some family issues. His football was questionable in terms of sustained effort and defensive commitment (again very familiar) and it was a challenge to have him where he needed to be when he needed to be there. He also battled what is still a big weakness of the under 18 system, which was very centred around localised areas, in this case Bendigo.

People talk about building Jordan McMahon statues but the one they should build is Jamie Elliot. He was coaching Castlemaine at that stage and rang the Pioneers and abused them until they took Dustin on, without that I doubt he would even have been drafted.
Yeah, thought I can remember hearing that the residential period to qualify for the NSW academy recruitment scheme was fairly lax too. Not an enormous amount of time. And he only just missed qualifying by a very small amount. Like if he lived there for just a month longer, or something like that he would have qualified. Apparently the Swans people very much had an eye on him very closely after fairly limited footy in the Sydney league. Like I say, they knew he was very special.

Having missed out on the academy avenue of recruiting him, I think from memory they even tried to trade into a draft position where they could grab him.

As I mentioned above, putting Dusty in a side with the likes of Goodes, Kennedy and later Heeney would have been a scary prospect. In such a sliding door moment, do they nullify the latter part of Hawthorn's dominant period as well as ours never happening?

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Someone who would know just told me he lived in Sydney for just under a year and it needed to be three to qualify for the academy.

He was playing with a couple of guys in the academy in Sydney and wanted to join but the Swans couldn't allow it. They did offer to work with him unofficially until the three years passed and he could join but his dad wanted him to come back to Victoria.

One I didn't know until now was the Swans got back in touch the year before he was drafted and tried to get him into the draft to take him late, but he was too young to be eligible. The Swans then tried to get a special exemption for the academy but were knocked back.
Thanks for that. Had heard rumours second hand from family involved in club footy in Sydney, that they had likely heard on the local footy rumour mill up there. I knew the Swans were very keen and tried a few different ways to get him, but wasn't entirely sure of the specifics.

And then in addition to those instances you mention, I think the Swans made an attempt to trade into a position in the draft where he would end up with them in his actual draft year. So perhaps they were one club who did rate him above those two who were drafted ahead of him, because of the inside knowledge they had.

Last edited: