The least tactical sub in history | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The least tactical sub in history

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Miller off, Ralphsmith on.

I cannot believe that happened. Ralphsmith is, at best, a bush footballer, who is more hair than substance.

Picture this.
We're playing a team that we are matching. A premiership contender with their full list to pick from. And we're cracking in. Half our list unavailable. Barely a bloke over 190 to pick from. And we're cracking in.

But here's a problem. After a dominant first half, their big guys are starting to get a taste for it. Grundy's throwing his weight around. Gawn is being the premiership captain he is. But our two makeshift tucks are toiling.
Their forwards are beginning to exert an influence. But our backs are just plugging the dam wall.

It's tight. A point the difference.

Enter Hardwick.

'Let's sub out one of our last remaining talls. The only bloke even holding ground against the opposition ruckman. Let's put in a guy who can't compete anywhere, and turns the ball over in a game where it is punished. Let's take out the only guy holding our backline together, and throw him in the ruck. That'll do it.'

5 minutes later.

'Who the hell is Van Rooyen, and why does he have 3 goals?'

The selection tonight was already dumb. Which is impressive, seeing how few options there were. Ralphsmith should never be a sub. Mansell should never be in the forward line. Ross and Sonsie should both be playing.

But to make that sub when the game was in the balance...

That was a game losing move.

Reactions: 35 users
really weird decision to do it. impulsive. rubbish coaching. disappointing.

Reactions: 1 users

I cannot believe that happened. Ralphsmith is, at best, a bush footballer, who is more hair than substance.

Picture this.
We're playing a team that we are matching. A premiership contender with their full list to pick from. And we're cracking in. Half our list unavailable. Barely a bloke over 190 to pick from. And we're cracking in.

But here's a problem. After a dominant first half, their big guys are starting to get a taste for it. Grundy's throwing his weight around. Gawn is being the premiership captain he is. But our two makeshift tucks are toiling.
Their forwards are beginning to exert an influence. But our backs are just plugging the dam wall.

Enter Hardwick.

'Let's sub out one of our last remaining talls. The only bloke even holding ground against the opposition ruckman. Let's put in a guy who can't compete anywhere, and turns the ball over in a game where it is punished. Let's take out the only guy holding our backline together, and throw him in the ruck. That'll do it.'

5 minutes later.

The selection tonight was already dumb. Which is impressive, seeing how few options there were. Ralphsmith should never be a sub. Mansell should never be in the forward line. Ross and Sonsie should both be playing.

Pretty much agree - our decent sub this year was Cumberland (maybe Mansell against Crows). Perhaps Cumby is the perfect sub - seems to be only capable of playing a decent quarter or two.
Thought Balta was worth a shot in the ruck - he did ok but didn't really make much difference. To me the biggest difference was the goal kicking - they barely missed - Dusty 1.3 and one OOF and Ryan 1.2 - numerous other set shot misses - could have (should have been) 3-4 goals up at 3/4 time - would have been a different game!

Jnr should of came off
It should have been a runner for a runner in any case.

Sure, junior could have been one. Mansell another.

Or, alternately, don't make the sub. Ralphsmith didn't /doesn't add anything. You can't be an outside player who can't compete defensively or use the ball.

If you want to try Balta in the ruck, fine. But put Miller back.

Reactions: 4 users
Cotchin should have been subbed. Couldn't have been more obvious. Team selections have been a schmozzle this year and have played a big hand in determining the outcome of the games. Perhaps just like our old stars Dimma's time is up

Reactions: 2 users

Picture this.

Enter Hardwick.

5 minutes later.

Hardwick has been and continues to be the worst game day coach in the AFL.

His strong suit of keeping everybody happy and enjoying their football in a holistic way with a talented team of assistants around him and a healthy list is now found wanting without the above.

Tonight required a level of tactical coaching that has often eluded Hardwick.

He will walk at the end of the season and I hope he has no say in the selection of a new Tiger coach.

• Dislike
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Pretty much agree - our decent sub this year was Cumberland (maybe Mansell against Crows). Perhaps Cumby is the perfect sub - seems to be only capable of playing a decent quarter or two.
Thought Balta was worth a shot in the ruck - he did ok but didn't really make much difference. To me the biggest difference was the goal kicking - they barely missed - Dusty 1.3 and one OOF and Ryan 1.2 - numerous other set shot misses - could have (should have been) 3-4 goals up at 3/4 time - would have been a different game!
Absolutely.

Their accuracy vs our inaccuracy was the difference.

But you can't compound skill errors with coaching errors.

Hardwick has been and continues to be the worst game day coach in the AFL.

His strong suit of keeping everybody happy and enjoying their football in a holistic way with a talented team of assistants around him and a healthy list is now found wanting without the above.

Tonight required a level of tactical coaching that has often eluded Hardwick.

He will walk at the end of the season and I hope he has no say in the selection of a new Tiger coach.
Credit to him, his tactics going into the game were spot on. Coached and prepared his team perfectly for the occasion and plan.

But phew was that decision late in the game a stinker.

I thought Miller was hopeless tonight in the ruck and wasn't surprised to see him subbed.

Reactions: 5 users
Cotchin should have been subbed. Couldn't have been more obvious. Team selections have been a schmozzle this year and have played a big hand in determining the outcome of the games. Perhaps just like our old stars Dimma's time is up
I thought Cotchy was great tonight.

But yeah, he laboured a bit late. If you feel the need to sub, he could have been it.

We just could not afford to lose height.

I thought Miller was hopeless tonight in the ruck and wasn't surprised to see him subbed.
They were both up against it. But he was at least able to nullify frequently. Wasn't pushed around as much as Ryan.

But whether he was performing or not, structurally, losing the height out of our backline killed us.

Couldn't agree more that this was the complete debacle of all time debacles. In my view Hardwick chucked a tantrum after Miller missed the goal. Cannot have been for any other reason. It completely brought us undone.

I thought Cotchy was great tonight.

But yeah, he laboured a bit late. If you feel the need to sub, he could have been it.

We just could not afford to lose height.
Yep. Should have replaced him with Flapsmith and got some run in the fwd half. Mind you with Ralphsmith not sure he would have made any difference wherever he played

Miller was terrible but should have been sent down back to simply defend. Would have allowed Balta to relief ruck earlier.

M. Rioli or Mansell should have been subbed.

I would have put Balta in the ruck, Miller down back and Mansell OFF.

Me either , ball was slipping around on the ground & we tried to bring on a running type player. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Reactions: 1 user

Picture this.

Enter Hardwick.

5 minutes later.

Great stuff Coburb