Talkin' Tactics 2023 (Tactics of Mistake) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin' Tactics 2023 (Tactics of Mistake)

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Here we are after six rounds and the AFL at large is in an exciting place at the moment. The meta is speed on the ball and lightning-quick transition. If you are Justin Longmuir and you love traditional notions of ball security, you are nowhere. You adapt to the new paradigm or you die.

I just wanted to touch on something that has become increasingly apparent in 2023 - tactics of mistake, and what it actually means for us beyond the obvious, tangible outcomes.

In our glorious recent reign, Richmond Football Club gave birth to the concept of imperfect football. That is, nail the defensive aspects of the game, hammer defensive setups again and again on the track until they are concrete, but approach the offensive side of the game with a clean slate. Propel the forward using whatever skillset you have been blessed with, whether that be a knock-on, an incisive hand pass, a 45m dart. Whatever it takes to gain territory and put pressure on the opposition defensive shape. Maximize player strengths, give them license to pull whatever trigger they feel is necessary.

Normally, and traditionally, this would be suicide. People underestimate the breathtaking tactical acumen required to pull this off in its infancy. We all know on these boards that we weren't the most skillful team, despite the premium talents of Martin, Cotchin and Riewoldt. We surged and hacked the ball forward at all costs, forward handpasses through the oppo sweeper before anyone else was doing it.

Chaos footy. Shouldn't have worked, Chris Scott was certainly scratching his head. But it did because over the top of the tactically brilliant concept of risk-free football we had Dimma pulling his troops together and generating serious, serious commitment.

The critical mental driver that allowed our terrorizing chaos flower to bloom was the fact that mistakes were not only tolerated, but welcome. As long as you were having a genuine crack, mistakes were accepted as inevitable collateral to a supremely unpredictable offensive style. Cough up the pill? Didn't matter, we would swarm the contest and mop it up again. And again. Each player knew there was backup, which gave him even more confidence to execute with maximum lethality.

A perfect storm of positive feedback. Tactics of (safe) risk. We eliminated the danger of turnover. Pure, rolled gold and teams had no answer as we netted four years of dominance.

Roll through to 2023. 666 and stand are entrenched in the sense that teams have had three seasons to deep think and adjust accordingly. As I said, the meta is transition in its purest form. Speed, precision, skill. The most intricate stoppage systems and analysis we have ever seen. Speed and precision is very, very difficult to achieve. You need the right personnel for a start. This has changed the meta at the draft table.

What do these tides of change mean for us? Firstly, we have needed to adjust. Damien Hardwick is no mug and certainly isn't Justin Longmuir. We have recruited for speed, mobility, precision. Time will tell whether we nailed the class of 2021, but our approach lies in stark contrast to the skillsets we recruited previously.

Already in 2023 we can see an ambitious game plan evolving. The midfield has been stiffened because we no longer set up exclusively from half back or on turnover. We are trying to execute fast breaks from stoppage and switch on transition almost religiously.

In 2023, we play an aggressive brand of football that pays off like the lottery and can also make us look sloppy and unaccountable.

Because in 2023, tactics of mistake is the game we all play. Mistakes are punished like they never have been before. There's no point engineering a constant +1 down back like we did 2017-2021 because teams are too quick and incisive now to fall for that trick. They just go around the likes of Vlastuin, no problem.

So we tell the players to execute clean possession chains into F50. Gone are the swarms, the surges, the knock-ons, the brazen forays. We must execute or we will concede scores.

So that's the pure tactical side. My interest in this is what it does for us mentally. Tactics of mistake has the potential to mess with our minds the most, as we are the ones who rode tactics of (safe) risk into premiership glory.

We still carry several players who are imprecise but rugged and irrepressible. What is their place in 2023? How do they adjust to a dangerous game of Russian roulette? Of all teams, ours is the least likely to embrace tactics of mistake because the players were told for years they didn't matter!

The wheel of macro tactics turns slowly. Year upon year of persistent drilling and careful refinement. We are a work in progress. Personnel-wise. Tactics-wise. There are many faults with this current team, but when it comes to tactics I can see what we are trying to do.

Like it or not, Collingwood is the benchmark. Thus far in 2023 they have achieved what no one else can - speed, precision and the breathtakingly audacious concept of -1 behind the ball.

THAT is as brilliant as our own risk-free football of 2017. And a story for another day.

Reactions: 7 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
This is a brilliant summation. One of the keys you raise is the mental side. I'm hearing less of the 2017-2020 'embrace imperfection' mantra now and it makes sense as to why with the current requirement of skilful execution - but where does that leave us mentally? Because it was that mentality that was foundational to us during the premierships.

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Dimma keeps talking about things looking like a 'Richmond game'..I think that vernacular is part of the problem tbh.

It ain't 2020 anymore.
I think he knows, Oldie.

Problem is, the “you can’t make mistakes anymore” is difficult to sell to the (relatively) unskilled labourers who gave him three flags.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I would posit that only two teams are currently transcending tactics of mistake.

Collingwood through sheer offensive innovation.

St Kilda via all-ground defensive integrity.

How Ross Lyon does this is locked away in that man’s brain and is invaluable IP.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
I would posit that only two teams are currently transcending tactics of mistake.

Collingwood through sheer offensive innovation.

St Kilda via all-ground defensive integrity.

How Ross Lyon does this is locked away in that man’s brain and is invaluable IP.
And to think Carlton Rejected him.lol

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We seem to be able to swarm forward and even hit targets when on song, just look at that series of goals against Footscray.

Just don't seem to be able to sustain that for any length of time.

The style of football is very hectic at the moment, might explain why so many of our older players have been getting soft tissue injuries, 4 years of playing that style to the max has taken its toll.

There does look to be a clear change in recruiting, looking for athletic types but now we know they must have skills too.

Just thinking further, we seemed to be able to exert a lot more pressure against Melbourne and prevented them putting together a series of goals. Every team is struggling to prevent their opposition getting a run on and multiple quick goals, it is very hard to stop. But, we could not get a run on and score quickly. Interesting game in that sense and showed pressure still has a very big impact.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
I think the mentality is now Adjust and learn ..... from mistake are ok .to speed and skill .......the most important skillset now of the AFl player is ; decision making with ball in hand - under pressure; kicking and defensive mind-set

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
To take these thoughts further, I think Josh Gibcus and Tylar Young can potentially be critical to our fortunes in coming years.

If we are to emulate Collingwood, a -1 defense means you need these mobile, rangy backs to fully realize their potential.

Darcy Moore is the benchmark key back prototype for today's footy.

Tylar Young is raw but I am extremely impressed with his progress. In time he will hopefully take on a more proactive, offensive mindset.

Dylan Grimes can no longer perform this kind of role. Nor can Vlastuin, on the available evidence.

As a retrospective aside, Alex Rance would be worth 3 players in today's game.

Reactions: 5 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
While a lot of what you say makes sense. The ONLY difference between the Bombers and Pies in yesterday's game was fitness. Bombers outplayed Pies for a lot of that game but run out of legs in the last and couldn't maintain it. Pies have built an elite level of fitness which is what maintained our rage for 4 years. You cannot play the chaos game we did or the ballistic style of the Pies without an elite fitness program to back it up.
The KEY to any team in the current climate is getting your Performance and Conditioning team spot on. Assistants are great but get the prior wrong and you will always be behind the 8-ball.
It is the reason they are always in games. It is the reason they are able to win the close ones.
Our biggest issue is we have had a significant interruption to our pre season for a lot of our key players. I also don't think we have the right Performance and Conditioning team at the club and need to reinvest in that area. This was also part of last years problem. A BIG reason we keep losing the close ones. Fatigue sets in

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Is it just fitness or is it timing the effort? You need to be ahead at the end of the game, not at half time. The running stats in another thread showed we don't really run much less than other teams, maybe we are running at the wrong time?

Would be interesting to have a close look at Collingwood, their ability to run out games may be a combination of very high fitness levels but also timing their efforts.

If anyone has time to do this, or knows where stats on running per quarter are available, it might be interesting.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Feb 7, 2016
To take these thoughts further, I think Josh Gibcus and Tylar Young can potentially be critical to our fortunes in coming years.

If we are to emulate Collingwood, a -1 defense means you need these mobile, rangy backs to fully realize their potential.

Darcy Moore is the benchmark key back prototype for today's footy.

Tylar Young is raw but I am extremely impressed with his progress. In time he will hopefully take on a more proactive, offensive mindset.

Dylan Grimes can no longer perform this kind of role. Nor can Vlastuin, on the available evidence.

As a retrospective aside, Alex Rance would be worth 3 players in today's game.
I've been really impressed with the way Tylar Young has slowly started to involve himself in our offensive movement.

He has played 5 games and I am already at the stage where I feel fairly confident he will make a good decision when the ball is in his hands.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I've been really impressed with the way Tylar Young has slowly started to involve himself in our offensive movement.

He has played 5 games and I am already at the stage where I feel fairly confident he will make a good decision when the ball is in his hands.
Yes. He's coming along quickly isn't he?

One of the clear success stories of the season so far.

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Is it just fitness or is it timing the effort? You need to be ahead at the end of the game, not at half time. The running stats in another thread showed we don't really run much less than other teams, maybe we are running at the wrong time?

Would be interesting to have a close look at Collingwood, their ability to run out games may be a combination of very high fitness levels but also timing their efforts.

If anyone has time to do this, or knows where stats on running per quarter are available, it might be interesting.

DS
I always felt that during the glory years it was this "timing the effort" that was crucial to the way we played.

We clearly had passages during the game where we saved our effort. Less running forward of the ball, more passing around followed by one of those frustrating kicks out to a pack on the wing and just try to get a stoppage. It used to annoy the hell out of me at first, before I became comfortable with the pattern, and I think was the reason we rarely buried teams. Just establish a lead, then let the oppo come at you for awhile, maybe reduce the lead a bit, then finish them off in the last when they're spent and we've kept a bit in the tank.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I always felt that during the glory years it was this "timing the effort" that was crucial to the way we played.

We clearly had passages during the game where we saved our effort. Less running forward of the ball, more passing around followed by one of those frustrating kicks out to a pack on the wing and just try to get a stoppage. It used to annoy the hell out of me at first, before I became comfortable with the pattern, and I think was the reason we rarely buried teams. Just establish a lead, then let the oppo come at you for awhile, maybe reduce the lead a bit, then finish them off in the last when they're spent and we've kept a bit in the tank.

Agree.

I felt we had some game momentum IP that we deployed before anyone else did (at least here in the AFL).

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think its high time we embraced perfection

On set shots at goal within 30m

If you miss, have an authentic ceremony sharing learnings in a scalable vulnerable truth telling narrative moving forward in this space within the four walls staying present.

Consent would be explicit in every miss.

And Deep Heat on the testicles of consenting adults never killed anyone

The AFL would tick it off

Last edited:
  • Haha
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The effort is still there so Dimma still has the players faith which is great.

However I honestly think the way we are playing is so taxing physically compared to other teams now.

The good sides I watch seemingly hit the target with relative ease. It's simply keepings off with the stand rule if you have players who can spot up a lead.

Our side is always having to expend energy chasing tail & trying win the footy back because our bloody skill errors keep happening.

It's no wonder we can't sustain the efforts for 4 quarters. We're physically cooking ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006

If you miss, have an authentic ceremony sharing learnings in a scalable vulnerable truth telling narrative moving forward in this space within the four walls staying present.

Consent would be explicit in every miss.

And Deep Heat on the testicles of consenting adults never killed anyone

The AFL would tick it off

Agreed!

If you miss easy one's, you got a right paddling from every other member of the team!

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013

strongly agree! .. get this right we win on Monday night

the rest of our game was pretty good ..

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
The effort is still there so Dimma still has the players faith which is great.

However I honestly think the way we are playing is so taxing physically compared to other teams now.

The good sides I watch seemingly hit the target with relative ease. It's simply keepings off with the stand rule if you have players who can spot up a lead.

Our side is always having to expend energy chasing tail & trying win the footy back because our bloody skill errors keep happening.

It's no wonder we can sustain the efforts for 4 quarters. We're physically cooking ourselves.

Exactly. In the Anzac games, Deez had 18 players who went at 70% DE or higher. The Skunks the same; Essendrug had 15 players at that level (and lost of course).

We had 7 in our game. SEVEN !

We are way below their skills level, so we keep turning it over, failing to capitalise on possession; failing to convert, then chasing tail back the other way continually which is exhausting. Our poor set-shot conversion made sure of the loss.

Reactions: 2 users