The long and short of our game plan... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The long and short of our game plan...

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
The long and short of our game plan . . .
Danny Frawley
richmondfc.com.au
11:39:59 AM Thu 14 August, 2003
There's been a lot of talk about the Richmond game plan since last Saturday night's 'shocker' against St Kilda at Telstra Dome.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure all Tiger fans that what they saw was not the game plan.

We were far too stagnant and moved the ball far too slowly. To go inside our forward 50 area only 42 times in that arena, and have as many possessions as St Kilda, yet get beaten by 80 points, strongly suggests that we were over-using the ball.

Rest assured, we've gone right through what our style of play should be in the past few days, and how we can get back to what makes us a good team.

Our style against the Bulldogs on the same ground just two weeks beforehand, was very good, so it's not as though the players can't stick to the game plan.

Basically, our game plan revolves around moving the ball quickly and directly to our taller players inside the forward 50. By doing that, we're making the most of our assets, which are the number of big, strong forwards we have -- and the ability of smaller players such as Andy Krakouer, Dave Rodan and Marty McGrath to 'crumb' to them.

Obviously, last Saturday night we failed miserably to do this anywhere near enough times -- and we got punished accordingly.

To have finished the season on that note would have been a disaster, so from that point there's certainly a positive to be gained from the fact we still have three games to provide our supporters with some real hope for next year.

There's been plenty said in the media over the past few days about what our players can't do. Yet the same group put up a really good performance against Fremantle at Subiaco seven days earlier and nearly jagged the game.

Last Saturday night's display was totally unacceptable, but it's time now for us to move on and focus on the positives we can gain out of the rest of the season. That's not to say we completely erase the memory of that St Kilda match from our minds, because we need to make sure we don't have a repeat of that poor football. However, it's important for us to strive to get as much out of the remaining weeks of the season as possible.

We'll be trying a few more things with the 2004 season in mind, such as experimenting with players in some different on-field positions. And, just on that, I think the experiment of playing Matty Richardson up the ground is still working. Sure, Matty was down last Saturday night, but overall, there's been a lot more positives than negatives so far with that move.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Good work Danny, couldnt agree more. Now all we need is hte players consistently sticking to our game plan and not being lazy and we wil lbe alright.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Be careful Shawry you are showing far too much support - a bit like me ;)

Could I interest you in one of my "KL and the Footy Dept photos" - they are fantastic ;D

You know I sit there some week and think "what the hell are you doing - that is not the way you are told to play"

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Spud's led with the chin here. At least these statements can be backed up with actions....or can they.

Will refer back to this when we see the results of the next three weeks.

If we happen to win by playing attacking footy I'll still wonder how he got the players to follow orders when he hasn't been able to all year.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
We have a game plan? ???

Spud didn't write that article.

Just like John (Mr Sheen) Howard doesn't write his speeches.

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
I read it, but I can't believe it!

Where's the bit about flooding back all the time?
Where's the bit about playing grinding and negative games?

Do the players really do this contrary to the "plan" by
their own initiative? Why do "most" of them do that?

P

PuntRoadRoar

RFC not KFC said:
Who is this Frawley bloke? must be new here.

i think the frawley bloke has just come back from the moon or something, because he makes it sound like we have a game plan when we all know they dont have a clue.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Koalalill said:
Be careful Shawry you are showing far too much support - a bit like me ;)

Could I interest you in one of my "KL and the Footy Dept photos" - they are fantastic ;D

You know I sit there some week and think "what the hell are you doing - that is not the way you are told to play"

I better watch myself hey. You actualyl have had the experience of being there too to back up what you say ,i can only go on what i see from the outside.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
shawry said:
I better watch myself hey. You actualyl have had the experience of being there too to back up what you say ,i can only go on what i see from the outside.

And you know Shawry that's the hardest thing sometimes having been there (granted it was when things were going great) and not being able to say everything that one saw. If that makes any sense at all

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Koalalill said:
shawry said:

And you know Shawry that's the hardest thing sometimes having been there (granted it was when things were going great) and not being able to say everything that one saw. If that makes any sense at all

You can Lil, you are jsut not supposed to. (Just a really bad attempt at me wanting to know what you cant say). I do respect the fact you do remain quiet though.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
shawry said:
You can Lil, you are jsut not supposed to. (Just a really bad attempt at me wanting to know what you cant say). I do respect the fact you do remain quiet though.

:) :D Thanks Shawry - BTW nice try though but no cigar :) ;) :)

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
We hear around the traps that Frawley does indeed have a game plan, and apparently a good one at that. Just haven't had the 'cattle on the paddock' to implement it apparently. Well I don't believe that or many other excuses to be honest. Like I have posted before even in 2001 when we were wining games we only ever won by 5 goals or less, we never pumped a side by 12 goals or more let alone 2 or 3 sides. By his own admission we 'won ugly' alot, and ultimately in the finals we were shown up for what we really were. That year we had a dream run with injuries aside from Richo? maybe and had many players playing career best footy.
Next 2 years a few injuries to key players and a game plan built around defensive negative tactics falls apart.
Same again the year after and again this year....

Change as many players as you want.... if someone doesnt get it through to the HEAD CLOWN that we must be more attacking, we aint going anywhere!

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
It seems I may have added a year or 2 of lack of success in there... maybe it just feels that way! :'(