The Melbourne Herald pre season preview 1988 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Melbourne Herald pre season preview 1988

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
CAN KB lift tattered Tigers ?

Finally a cliche may be put to rest this year. Is the coach only as good as the team or not?

If ever sports fans have wanted to put this well worn line to the test under almost scientifically controlled conditions they need no further than the Richmond football club in 1988.

Kevin Bartlett was always going to coach the team he gave so many years and more than 400 games of loyal service to. His media commitments had left no doubt about his football knowledge and his love of Richmond made it almost impossible to view him lining up for "Here's our new coach" pictures in any colors but black and yellow.

The Tigers landing heavily on the bottom of the expanded VFL pile last year was the perfect excuse for Bartlett to come home again. The fact that tthe departing coach Tony Jewell had walked rather than being axed added to the Back Home Touch. Nice. Clean. Friendly.

Unfortunately in early April the Bartlett fairytale could end. The plain facts are that most of his players would be struggling to walk into another VFL senior team and last year's tigers lacked skill and pace. Mark Lee has lost the authority with which he played in the early 1980's, apparently because of nagging ailments and Michael Roach seemes to be injured every time he tries to take the field.

The key to Richmond's resurrection must be in these senior the exception being Dale Weightman who has never stopped trying throughout the spiral from premiers in 198o to 1987s inglorious crash. He has carried the roving divison, provided the teams drive and kicked goals. As a reward he has been given the captaincy, the offical responsibility of which may finally stop him appearing too regularly before the VFL tribunal.

Former captain Mark Lee needs to lift his game this year. The giant has fallen from his position as the state number one ruckman to the ranks of the also-rans. Wrist and hand injuries have not helped his struggle and when on the field he has looked a shadow of his former self. For Richmond to fire, Lee need to rule the centre bounces and equally importantly must take marks around the ground.

Nobody wants Michael Roach to have an injury free year more than Michael Roach and he still has the leap, kicking and experience to be a top spearhead. His cause would be helped by youthful speed from the centre delievering the ball sharply to the goal mouth, instead of floating long bombs into the square. Richmond may have more speed this year with a host of youthful runners including Allan McKellar who should improve into a true rover instead of a rookie.

Last year big recruits Michael Mitchell and Peter once he recovers from knee surgery, will need to give the Tigers more in their second year at the club. Both have the potential to be goal scoring stars but did not put it together in 1987.

And so yet again the Tigers dont look to be such a bad side on paper but most show what skill and talent they've got on the field instead of only performing well for a part of the game. Maybe the return of Bartlett and the indignity of last season failure will give the spark to lift.

Prediction 14th

(each team had 12 players listed)
The players tried and trusted
Mark Lee
Dale Weightman
Mark Eustice
Michael Mitchell
Michael Roach
John Manton
Philip Egan
Michael Thomson
Peter Wilson
Jim Jess
Trevor Poole
Michael Pickering

Under the Pump

Peter Czerkaski
Richard Nixon
Stephen James
Allan McKellar

New Chums

Wayne Peters
Darren Keighran
Paul Barlow

Kevin Bartlett says
When I was first offered the job of coaching Richmond my thoughts were that it would be a pretty challenging sort of job but I always thought it would be one I would enjoy

I hadnt seen it as inevitable that I would coach richmond although I had hoped that if I went into coaching it would be with the Tigers. I have a lot of hopes.

So what has been wrong with Richmond? Over the last couple of seasons I would say the team has been missing the consistency to play well and some players have not played to their ability.

In the past the players have been able to play a good quarter or half or three quarters but it has been rare for the side to play for four quarters.

Constant hard work is the way to solve this. You also need to lift the players confidence and at Richmond we need to eradictate mistakes. Too often basic errors are bringing the side down. When that happens players lose confidence in one another and the game drops away from there.

I am looking forward this year to the senior players being good solid contributors every week. It appears that a number of these players like Mark Lee and Michael Roach have been troubled by injuries for two or three years now and their form and confidence have suffered. An injury free start to the year would help their confidence enormously.

We are looking at the five. I am confident that we can improve and once the season is underway I believe anything can happens. If the players have the right attitude and we can get the best out of them, I can see no reason to aim any lower than all the other sides in the competition.