The Music Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Music Thread

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just watched a great doco about Buddy Guy on NITV. Just love that man's music, must spin a few records of his soon. Check it out, likely on SBS on demand.

Last week I watched a doco which must have been NITV too, about Roberta Flack which was also great. She has a voice to die for.

Seems they are playing a pile of music docos at the moment, Monday Aretha, and I'll have to look up what else they have. So good.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin

This whole double album is improvised. Any dark music lovers will enjoy. As impressive as and as a Thomson Edwards hand pass.

Exquisite album artwork by Stacy povich..?

Title reference to LE Modesitt jr ‘recluse’ fantasy series which is pretty interesting if you have the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Also John Coltrane’s ‘giant steps’ album recorded while he was working on kinda blue with miles Davis - sheet music given to the band an hour or so before the recording session.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

This whole double album is improvised. Any dark music lovers will enjoy. As impressive as and as a Thomson Edwards hand pass.

Exquisite album artwork by Stacy povich..?

Title reference to LE Modesitt jr ‘recluse’ fantasy series which is pretty interesting if you have the time.
Sorry fastin, listened to the first six or seven minutes but that was just bloody dreary as *smile*. Were they just tuning up their instruments or something?

• Haha

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Not sure if anyone here is interested, but The Hu are playing Croxton Park.
A Mongolian hard rock/metal outfit. Great sound of guitars and Eastern instruments.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Tracy Chapman performs 'Fast Car' at the Grammys. She hasn't performed live in years & still sounds great.

It's the most uplifting and utterly depressing song ever. When she does it live, I'm not sure there is a better song with one person and a guitar.

Never been a huge fan, but she's a million times better than that cover.
I don't mind the cover. And Combs is good as well. That entire country music scene has grown on, not sure it's even country any more, Combs, Kane Brown, Jason Isbell, Whiskeytown, Sam Hunt all got tunes.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Not sure if anyone here is interested, but The Hu are playing Croxton Park.
A Mongolian hard rock/metal outfit. Great sound of guitars and Eastern instruments.

When's that playing General? There's an hour of these blokes live at Hellfest on youtube that I noticed after the clip you posted. More than worth a listen.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
It's the most uplifting and utterly depressing song ever. When she does it live, I'm not sure there is a better song with one person and a guitar.

I don't mind the cover. And Combs is good as well. That entire country music scene has grown on, not sure it's even country any more, Combs, Kane Brown, Jason Isbell, Whiskeytown, Sam Hunt all got tunes.
Yeah I wasn't thinking of the Combs cover - the one I was thinking of was like a dance version or something. It completely *smile* with the desperate optimism messed with bleak reality the (original) song conveys.

Here this abortion -

For one person and a guitar, a lot of good Billy Bragg stuff up there as well.

Last edited:

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
Mid week show, old fart might have to try n find out how to get a ticket. Hope they let pensioners in the door.

I know the feeling. I'd do this a lot 10 years ago. Now...I don't think I'd want to back it up doing multiple standing gigs mid week, lol. My weekend would be ruined.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Annie Lennox's emotional tribute at the Grammys of Nothing Compare's to You for Sinead & Shane MacGowan was also fantastic.

Can't say I've watched that music show in years but seems like the producers are really trying to make it a thing again.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Just watched a great doco about Buddy Guy on NITV. Just love that man's music, must spin a few records of his soon. Check it out, likely on SBS on demand.
Saw him at Bluesfest last year, for the second or third time. Had the crowd in the palm of his hand.

• Love

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
New album 'Future Pasts', by Konkolo Orchestra. African rhythms and grooves. Dig it.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Annie Lennox's emotional tribute at the Grammys of Nothing Compare's to You for Sinead & Shane MacGowan was also fantastic.

Can't say I've watched that music show in years but seems like the producers are really trying to make it a thing again.
Didn't see it, simply coz I don't watch any of them award shows. But if Annie Lennox put her voice to something like this I've no doubt she'd have nailed the crap out of it. Serious talent is Annie.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Some times you unexpectedly find out things that make you stop n wonder how n where that came from. Right now listening to some just released music by a band called Aldern, Concoction of madness. It's up on you tube, not to foul a metal band for fans of the genre. Haven't had a chance to ask yet, but it turns out my supervisor at work has an involvement, somehow with the band. To be honest, he appears to be one of the last type of people going around to be involved with the metal side of the music industry. Sneaky hidden raucous side.