The Music Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Music Thread

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Spinning one of the best blues records ever made:

Junior_Wells_Hoodoo_Man_Blues.jpg

Junior Wells: Hoodoo Man Blues.

Sublime.

DS
Thanks David, damn there was some fine music getting around when I was just a little snot nosed kid trying to find my way into music listening.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Spent a couple of hours cleaning records this afternoon (been frequenting that well known venue for Richmond book launches: Greville Records and had a backlog).

So, this afternoon spinning:

maxresdefault.jpg

Creedence Clearwater Revival: Live at Woodstock. In good form that night.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A Few More:

Patti Smith: Gloria/My Generation 12" single.

Johnny Cash: I Walk the Line. Now where did that sheep and cow odour come from?

The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers. So good. I was listening to a quiz on ABC Radio last night and they were asking to identify the opening riff of a song - the song was Brown Sugar. Took a few contestants before someone got it, the rest of them should hang their heads in shame. One of the greatest and most recognisable riffs ever - how could you not know Brown Sugar?

DS

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Okay I’m a massive fan of Australian rock. The Angels, Midnight Oil etc etc.

IMHO AC/DC are the undisputed kings. But after 4 decades plus I have finally come to a conclusion. Powerage is the greatest album and Down Payment Blues the greatest song. There it is. I’ve said it. No doubt many will disagree but 40 years after the album and song were released they stand the test of time.

Long live Australian rock. Long live AC/DC. Long live Powerage.

Gee time has been kind to Powerage. A lot of people pumping it up these days. Was even voted best album of the 70's in Classic Rock magazine.

Down Payment Blues is a killer unsung track. Likewise Riff Raff, even if the lyrics are a little weak. That two-part guitar solo is as sizzling as anything ever laid down in a studio, and the footage from the Glasgow Apollo is pure gold as they didn't play it live very often. Rock 'n' Roll Damnation was as commercial as they got and is a nice song, with even a hint of melody in the chorus.

The rest however with its southern US influence always sounded "dashed off" to me. I could happily go on an AC/DC binge and give the rest a miss. Sin City is crafted but the dramatic bit doesn't work as well as e.g. Jailbreak.

The other track I don't mind is Cold Hearted Man, which only appeared on the European version. Most AC/DC fans don't rate it, so maybe it's because I haven't heard it as many times.

Anyway that's my opinion and I have Powerage ahead of only the Australian High Voltage and Dirty Deeds among Bon's albums, and the latter only sometimes. Let There Be Rock is where it's at - it exudes the sense that rock is serious business.The o/s version works best with Problem Child replacing Crabsody In Blue.

Gibson SG isn't a light instrument and little Angus manhandles the bastard.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Off work the last couple of days, feel like crap and on antibiotics for an infection.

After watching the PF again (what a great game, bit tense for both Richmond and Geelong supporters but still a cracker of a game), I decided I really didn't want to be getting up and down to flip records so put this on:

rolling_stones_totally_stripped_earbook_4_disc_sd_blu_ray_cd.jpg

Watched the show from the Paradiso in Amsterdam, a venue of 2,000. Apparently the Brixton show is stellar. Geez, such a pity they cancelled Hanging Rock, that would have been superb for the Stones.

DS

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Doubt I'll be listening to Crawl's 1982 song Shut Down again after all this....

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Chrissie Amphlett damn was she an original.

Rock Chick. Unfortunately, too much of her head banging built to MS. RIP Chrissie.

There's another underrated (probably forgotten) Divinyls song I'd like to upload for these times now, but best not.....

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Has anyone else bothered to listen to Dylan's new release, Murder most foul? It's his first new work in years n I listened last night. 17 minutes of morbid rambling dirge, thinkin it might be time for the master story teller to hang up the pen.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I found out the other day why Stevie Wonder hasn't written anything new for a while.

He dropped his pencil.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Country Music doco on SBS is worth a look.
All the Ken Burns documentaries have been. I rate his Civil War one probably top 5 things I have ever seen on TV. And as I can't think of any others except Ricmond games maybe the best.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
All the Ken Burns documentaries have been. I rate his Civil War one probably top 5 things I have ever seen on TV. And as I can't think of any others except Ricmond games maybe the best.

The Civil War documentary is a masterpiece. My partner likes country music and she is loving the current doco on SBS. I also saw his doco on Jazz, I really am not a fan of Jazz, I can hear what they are doing but it does nothing for me, and yet Ken Burns' doco was still worth watching.

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
A Few More:

Patti Smith: Gloria/My Generation 12" single.

Johnny Cash: I Walk the Line. Now where did that sheep and cow odour come from?

The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers. So good. I was listening to a quiz on ABC Radio last night and they were asking to identify the opening riff of a song - the song was Brown Sugar. Took a few contestants before someone got it, the rest of them should hang their heads in shame. One of the greatest and most recognisable riffs ever - how could you not know Brown Sugar?

DS

Because most of society today is *smile*.

One only needs to take a look around over the past 4 odd weeks for confirmation.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Watching Country Music series currently, really enjoyed the Civil War series, and he also did a great series on Baseball.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Watching Country Music series currently, really enjoyed the Civil War series, and he also did a great series on Baseball.
I only ever saw snippets of Baseball .... Will try to track it down. Baseball through 20th century to Americans what cricket was to us.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Bought The Vietnam War on Blu-Ray recently without knowing who Ken Burns was. Will have to give it a run.
It's also quite an anchievement.... Vietnam war was the news of the day when we first got to Melbourne in 67.. Was the defining event Of its time... My brother was in the draft but for Whitlams election so I didn't have any direct contact with it. But fir all those who hate street protests the Moriatiums would have been unbearable but they showed the wil of the people.
A school mate lived next door to Albert Langer who led the protests at Monash Uni. ASIO wanted to conduct surveillance on Langer from their house. Parents said no. Govt was still scared of reds under the bed.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
81R1eIMUwNL._SL1400_.jpg

Released last month and features four complete shows from Cream's final two months, much of which hasn't previously been released. Overall there is not much variation in the setlists, but each show stands alone as a great listen. Played the whole thing through this afternoon/evening and it never became boring, with perhaps the best performance being the band's last at Royal Albert Hall. This has long been available as a video documentary, albeit with the songs out of sequence; the relatively poor mono sound explains why it has never seen the light of day as audio-only. Bruce's vocals are distant and the drums and bass a little muffled, although Clapton's soaring, searing guitar comes through clearly. Fortunately the passion of the performance overcomes the technical shortcomings. Cream was consistently great to the end.

Given their scanty catalogue, this easily qualifies as essential for fans.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I will admit I don't have that much Australian music, but tonight it is a band from Sydney in the 1980s

Moffs Labyrinth.jpg

The Moffs: Labyrinth

I saw them at the Old Greek in Richmond, last night of the Old Greek from memory. Great night, they played way past closing time.

DS