The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
One of my favourite players when I was a kid. When you added in he was Victorian then he was *the* favourite player. Excitement machine.

59 is way to young, especially when you're in your 50s

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Makes me feel very mortal. Same age, grew up in Mt Waverley same as me, mates of mine went to school with him, already on way to top then .
I worked in madras and just driving past the cricket ground there with the open sewer (aka river) that ran beside the ground would make me retch. Batting for hours in the sun and stench for 200 ... heroic.

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
When I was a kid, me and my mates would almost get into fist fights, over who got to be Dean Jones in street cricket.

I had a county bat and other Deano equipment because I wanted to be like him. Absolutely *smile* gutted.
My late father also loved watching him. We only went to the MCG a couple of times, but when we did we went to go to the MCG to watch Deano.

Cricket in Australia has changed significantly for me over the years. No Benaud. No Dad. and Now no Deano.
Someone wrap Bill Lawry in cotton wool. Not sure I could take that hit right now.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Sad news .. was such an amazing player ...got to play an under 21 game against Melbourne back in the day ( playing for Bentleigh ) he was playing for Melb u21 before we was famous but he as a class above even then . I remember him smacking our bowlers around the ground that day.. Also played a few indoor cricket matches against a team he was in with a few of the Carlton players at the time in the mid 80s ..

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
One of my mates went to high school with him. He was a year below Deano but played in the footy and cricket teams with him. He reckons Deano was also a lightning quick bowler at school level. He was so fast that it was very common for opposing batsmen to refuse to face him. Deano was also a gun footballer.

Vale Dean Jones.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
210 in India his best.

Apparently a couple of the Queenslanders (read Border and Ritchie) were telling him if a Victorian couldn’t handle the heat, to get out and let a Queenslander have a go. Spurred him in to one of the most iconic innings ever.

Wouldn’t happen today - medicos would have him off before he got to the state he was in.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He was a great player and like all of us I loved watching him.
I had an “interaction” with him just last year. I was in the Singapore airlines lounge at Changi and a group of men sat down close to me, I had my back to them but heard them.
One of them talked and talked and talked, cracking jokes and laughing. Wouldn’t shut up . A few people around were getting agitated as he was pretty loud. It was Deano with a group of people coming back from last years IPL.
He could talk !!
RIP Deano

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If you haven't already, grab the Dean Jones interview on The Howie Games podcast.

Over an hour of Deano talking about his life and career. Very good listening for any Deano fan.

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
One of my mates went to high school with him. He was a year below Deano but played in the footy and cricket teams with him. He reckons Deano was also a lightning quick bowler at school level. He was so fast that it was very common for opposing batsmen to refuse to face him. Deano was also a gun footballer.

Vale Dean Jones.
I was going to say that too...like most elite sport talents he was a great footballer.

Boxing >