The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Blair Campbell former Tiger & later Demons player.
Also played cricket for Victoria & Tasmania
Blair Campbell former Tiger & later Demons player.
Also played cricket for Victoria & Tasmania
The first exponent of the "banana kick" as I recall seeing him execute a shot from the boundary on the MCG.

Also was a Reporter for the local, Northcote Leader.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not a soccer fan so don't know much about Maradona. Interesting, non-reverential obituary by Will Swanton in the Australian.

Let’s not sugarcoat who Diego really was (paywalled)

None of the obituaries have been reverential. Even in Argentina, although worshipped as a God, everyone knew he was a very flawed man.

Can't read it (paywalled), but I guess Will is writing for people mostly ignorant of Maradona's life and achievements. Anyone who knows anything about football knows Maradona was a tortured genius who took drugs, who was involved with the Camorra, didn't pay his taxes, got caught as a drug cheat, cheated against England in a game where he also scored one of the most brilliant goals ever, represented the "Peronista" side of Argentinian politics. etc etc etc.

I was lucky enough to go to the playoff with Argentina in Sydney 93? and saw him play. Even then at 33 years old he was unstoppable, poor old Paul Wade had his work cut out. And he set up the goal to draw the game. Another game we should have won but that's another story.

Reactions: 1 users