The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
None of the obituaries have been reverential. Even in Argentina, although worshipped as a God, everyone knew he was a very flawed man.

Can't read it (paywalled), but I guess Will is writing for people mostly ignorant of Maradona's life and achievements. Anyone who knows anything about football knows Maradona was a tortured genius who took drugs, who was involved with the Camorra, didn't pay his taxes, got caught as a drug cheat, cheated against England in a game where he also scored one of the most brilliant goals ever, represented the "Peronista" side of Argentinian politics. etc etc etc.

I was lucky enough to go to the playoff with Argentina in Sydney 93? and saw him play. Even then at 33 years old he was unstoppable, poor old Paul Wade had his work cut out. And he set up the goal to draw the game. Another game we should have won but that's another story.

Thats a perfect description of Maradona Antman. As a pom I clearly have strong negative feelings to the cheat (and the fact they he could never admit the clear cheating against England in 86). However, what this leaves him with, is everyone remembers him for the Hand of God goal in that game, but as you say he is not remembered for probably one of the best goals of all time, that goal it was almost as if the ball was glued to his boot.

Clearly a troubled genius, but at his best could easily be described as the best player of all time.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Thats a perfect description of Maradona Antman. As a pom I clearly have strong negative feelings to the cheat (and the fact they he could never admit the clear cheating against England in 86). However, what this leaves him with, is everyone remembers him for the Hand of God goal in that game, but as you say he is not remembered for probably one of the best goals of all time, that goal it was almost as if the ball was glued to his boot.

Clearly a troubled genius, but at his best could easily be described as the best player of all time.
Thanks Posh, but he did admit it in 2006 in a BBC interview!

Only the English and maybe the English speaking world remember him solely for that I would say. I used to play football against South Americans and this is how they play - they are clever, they trick you, they enjoy making you look bad. It's a point of pride with them. Uruguayans are like that too but they are even better at sneaky fouls. For Maradona that was a day at the office, OK, I'll try this, hey the dumbass ref and linesman didn't see it. OK. Move on. For him it was funny, nothing to make a big deal over, the English of course took it seriously for the next 30 years :) - I can understand this, it's like when Australia drew with Iran at the MCG and missed out on qualification (again), it's a national trauma, you never really get over it.

Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Never understood the angst.
How is it any different to when Martin did the most blatant throw out of a pack to Riewoldt who goaled?
The only difference is that each individual goal in a soccer match is so much more significant than they are in Australian Football.
But that's the fault of the sport, not Maradona.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
How is it any different to when Martin did the most blatant throw out of a pack to Riewoldt who goaled?
The only difference is that each individual goal in a soccer match is so much more significant than they are in Australian Football.
Pretty much what Swanton said in between bashing him. He only had issue with Maradona's description of it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep the physical Vader whilst Earl Jones was the voice.

He was also this beefy guy in A Clockwork Orange!

image-asset.jpeg

Apparently died of Covid.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
David Prowse, the original Darth Vader, RIP.
Yep the physical Vader whilst Earl Jones was the voice.

On the ABC radio over here today they actually had an original recording of Prowse saying

"you are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor. Take her away"

then they played Earl Jones saying the same thing.

Lucky they went with Earl is all I can say.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

England. Argentina. Falklands. World Cup.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep the Argentinian's did get a kick out of '86 when Maradona beat England "single handed"

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
RIP Charlie Pride.

What a legend Charlie was, I have very fond memories of listening to his music, a true legend.

I'm going to get drunk today and listen to his music.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Charlie Pride was the only singer that could almost do justice to the immortal Hank Williams songs.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user