The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

Re: Re: Dustin

TJsFurrow said:
With ya, 23. I haven't heard the term 'Aussie Rules' for a long time. Where did it go?

A masterclass in branding by the AFL (Australian Football League) to have the name of the sport hijacked by a competition.
'AFL' is pretty much how everyone refers to the game these days, no matter what Australian Football competition is being referred to.
Agree that it's annoying.

Re: Re: Dustin

23.21.159 said:
That way of referring to the sport as AFL really p!sses me off NO END !!!!!!!!!!

He didn't play AFL before receiving a call from the Swans. He played AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL. He only played *in the* AFL after being drafted by Richmond.
Take your point.
Then again it seems normal to say someone plays "Rugby League" or "Union".

I think the change started 8-9 years ago when soccer started referring to itself as football. Now when someone says 'football,' it's not 100% clear what sport is being referred to, hence the title afl. I say 'afl' the majority of the time now... I don't see a problem with it

Re: Changes v Giants

Opulentus Tigris said:
Sometimes it's better for people to think you're stupid, rather than opening your mouth and confirming it.

Perhaps you should take your own advice then and correct the spelling error in your personal text under your avatar.

Re: Re: Changes v Giants

Streak said:
Perhaps you should take your own advice then and correct the spelling error in your personal text under your avatar.
If we are talking about spelling, then I think everyone is more than a little guilty. Except perhaps you Streak, because you are an absolute champion.

it's sad to infer typos and/or poor spelling equates to stupidity. sometimes it's a bit of sloppiness, and i doubt any of us are perfect, but some people genuinely have problems in that area. far better to discuss actual opinions. :)

rosy23 said:
it's sad to infer typos and/or poor spelling equates to stupidity. sometimes it's a bit of sloppiness, and i doubt any of us are perfect, but some people genuinely have problems in that area. far better to discuss actual opinions. :)

That's what makes this country great.

rosy23 said:
I find I do more typos than I ever did now that I use an iPhone and iPad! Pretty sure I'm still stupid though ;D

Opulentus Tigris said:
If we are talking about spelling, then I think everyone is more than a little guilty. Except perhaps you Streak, because you are an absolute champion.

A little precious and superficial don't you think?

You call someone else on a board stupid because of an opinion they post, yet you get upset when someone returns a bit of fire.

I didn't agree with what the original poster said, but I don't see the need to post a tired cliche to be derogatory toward them.

By pointing out your spelling error, I was merely pointing out that you are not that different from the poster you were putting down.

I suggest you learn to take it before you dish it. Either that or hide behind the ignore function.

rosy23 said:

Absolutely Rosy, but I felt the post I was responding to was simply uncalled for. So I took the route of pointing out that not everyone is perfect.

Re: Is this club cursed??

zippadeee said:
1982... Play in GF favourites and we loose and then we have a mass walkout
1995... Coach & maxfield walk out
2001..Ottens, Properly the best player of that year, 3 years later walks out
2013... Martin, In the best 3 players at the club he walks out..

We are rooted

I see you've used the word 'properly' twice now (another previous post) instead of PROBABLY. Just thought i'd let you know...;)

ApologiZe. OrganiZe. SpecialiZe.

Has always been an 'S' in there, unless you grew up in America.

Re-sign and resign are 2 different things people, please learn!

mld said:
I'm resigned to the fact that people will not learn this.
I think you meant you are re-signed to the fact people won't learn this ;)