The trouble with Joel Bowden | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The trouble with Joel Bowden

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
In my humble little opinion, I think that Joel's biggest problem is the hype he had as a youngster. Specifically, being called the 'next James Hird'.

Bowden is a very good footballer, but he's no Jimmy Hird (wish he was!), which means that we Tiger fans are just dirty on him for ruining our great expectations of him.

In a way, he's victim of media hype. He's not the only one. Clint Bizzel was going along okay until the dills down at Geelong started calling him the next Gary Ablett. Yeah, right! What a way to stifle a kids development!

Does anyone remember any other famous comparisons made of kids who would be the 'next Wayne Carey, Michael Roach", etc? Would love to hear some of them.

Cheers.

Hungry

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Joel Bowden is a great player who can't realise his full potential as he's held back by playing under a dud coach and with too many dud players.

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
Maybe he is reaching his potential, Harry, how would we know?

On the absurd comparisons of ordinary players been touted as the next superstar, I'll get the ball rolling:

The next Wayne Carey: Aaron James

Please stop! You're killing me! But that's right, Dermie said that James could be as good as Carey early in his career. No wonder WE recruited him.

hungry1

eat em alive tigers
Apr 4, 2003
melbourne
Bowden never recovered mentally from the shoulder injury he suffered in his first season. At that stage he was looking the goods and wasn't too fazed by anything.

He now thinks twice before entering into a physical contest and his confidence has been affected.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I don't begrudge Bowden being an outside player because every team needs those types as much as they need the in-and-under players. Plus unlike most receivers he is more than capable of finding the footy consistantly in an average side. Just look at how Camporeale is struggling at Carlton.

What does annoy me greatly about joel is I think he is not realising his potential. IMO this is a comibination of Joel appearing to lack the required intensity of a great player and not being played in a position(s) that maximise his impact. Bowden should be played Forward of centre drifting down into the goal square to create a mismatch, not kicking sideways at halfback.

I remember not too long ago when Bowden would charge down the wing and unload from 50m and kick truly inspiring goals. He rarely if ever does that anymore and I think is a great shame and an indictment on the coaching staff for taking that out of his game.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Hungry said:
On the absurd comparisons of ordinary players been touted as the next superstar, I'll get the ball rolling:

The next Wayne Carey: Aaron James

Please stop! You're killing me! But that's right, Dermie said that James could be as good as Carey early in his career. No wonder WE recruited him.

Hungry,

You'll be happy to know the next Wayne Carey is now starring for Doutta Stars in the Essenbum District Footbal League

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
You're unbelievable TF. You never miss an opportunity to bag the coaching staff for a player's failings. All players lose confidence and form, and that is not necessarily the fault of coaching staff. Next it'll be Danny's fault if Joel breaks up with his girlfriend.

By the way, I agree woith the rst of what you say about Bowden. Just not the last sentence.

When is someone going to stand up and say that the players must bear their share of responsibility for how they play?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
You're unbelievable TF. You never miss an opportunity to bag the coaching staff for a player's failings. All players lose confidence and form, and that is not necessarily the fault of coaching staff. Next it'll be Danny's fault if Joel breaks up with his girlfriend.

Unfortunate we disagree Dean, but i stand by what I wrote. IMO Frawley does not hold Bowden accountable enough for his mistakes. Whenever Joel has one of his trademark brain implosions why isn't he taken off?? Make the kid value his disposal more.

Also as coach, Frawley has been playing Bowden backward of centre more and more over the last couple of years which has taken away from his natural attacking games. It is Frawley's gameplan that is nullifying some of our more attacking players. Chipping the ball around halfback might be good for the likes of Chaffey, AK etc but it hurts our more attacking players who end up haiving to bomb long into the forward 50 because all there space has been taken up by the opposition who have had more than enough time to set up. Bowden is an exceptional talent who IMO is being underutilised by our negative tactics.

By the way, I agree woith the rst of what you say about Bowden. Just not the last sentence.

Thanks Dean, I thought it was one of my better posts :)

When is someone going to stand up and say that the players must bear their share of responsibility for how they play?

I thought that was the coaches job.

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
C'mon, if a player makes a mistake, it's all the coach's fault?

Danny has never been a big 'dragger', that's just his style. I think it has more effect if you use it sparingly. And he does drag Bowden very occasionally. But I'm betting you have no idea what he says to him at 1/4 time, half time, during the week. You are just surmising. You can bet your bottom dollar that Joel is fully aware of his deficiencies, he works very hard on the track, but it often goes wrong come game time. Surely that is up to Joel to fix? What more can a coach do?

Let's face it, if Bowden plays a clanger-free blinder, you, TF, are not going to credit anybody but Joel Bowden. I'd love to see you praise Danny for one of Bowden's great games.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
But I'm betting you have no idea what he says to him at 1/4 time, half time, during the week. You are just surmising. You can bet your bottom dollar that Joel is fully aware of his deficiencies, he works very hard on the track, but it often goes wrong come game time. Surely that is up to Joel to fix? What more can a coach do?

Spot on Dean.

I have heard what he gets told during the week ;D

But I wont go there because 1) it should stay in house and 2) I am too much of lady to use such language :-\

I will add, and I have said this before - I just wish Joel would show the same emotion on the field as he does on the training track. I am one of his biggest critics - he frustrates the hell out of me but the Joel on the track is vocal and berates himself when he stuffs up - don't know why we don't see that on the field a bit more.

Dean, we better be careful - people will be starting to think something is going on between us. All this logic, support of the team ,coach etc.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Koalalill said:
I will add, and I have said this before - I just wish Joel would show the same emotion on the field as he does on the training track. I am one of his biggest critics - he frustrates the hell out of me but the Joel on the track is vocal and berates himself when he stuffs up - don't know why we don't see that on the field a bit more.

Doesnt want ot give anyhting away to the opposition like Richo does. I can definitely understand that and am glad he doesnt. I ahve no doubt he knows when he stuffs up, think it is good he doesnt let his opponent know it has affected him.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Jason Torney is the prime example of someone with talent who couldn't realise it under frawdudly yet has been able to under a coach with a clue. Replace Torney with Bowden and your queries as to why Bowden is playing poorly will be answered.

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Yeah, Harry, and Chaff has really struggled under Danny ::)

lol KL - I say let 'em talk! We know we're just good friends ;D

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
That is a load of crap Harry. Torne played well with us, we jsut took him for granted. EH was one of our best last two years and has performed similarly at the Crows. WE jsut notice more as he is no longer wiht us therefore no t as critical on him like the people here.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Harry said:
Joel Bowden is a great player who can't realise his full potential as he's held back by playing under a dud coach and with too many dud players.
what a load of crap.bowden averages at least 20 possys per game how the hell can you say spud is holding him back.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Harry said:
Jason Torney is the prime example of someone with talent who couldn't realise it under frawdudly yet has been able to under a coach with a clue. Replace Torney with Bowden and your queries as to why Bowden is playing poorly will be answered.
yet another prime example of spud bashing.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
I have heard what he gets told during the week ;D

Sounds like you spent a week at Tigerland KL? Funny how it must have slipped your mind to mention it. :rollin

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
C'mon, if a player makes a mistake, it's all the coach's fault?

I never said that. An individual making an isolated error cannot be helped. A player who continually makes the same errors (Bowden) or a team(Richmond) who's skill level hasn't improved in 4 years is the coaches problem.

Danny has never been a big 'dragger', that's just his style. I think it has more effect if you use it sparingly. And he does drag Bowden very occasionally. But I'm betting you have no idea what he says to him at 1/4 time, half time, during the week. You are just surmising. You can bet your bottom dollar that Joel is fully aware of his deficiencies, he works very hard on the track, but it often goes wrong come game time. Surely that is up to Joel to fix? What more can a coach do?
Got me there Dean. I have absolutley no idea what Frawley is saying to Bowden. None whatsoever. But What I can tell and this applies to the whole team. Whatever Frawley is telling them doesn't work.

Let's face it, if Bowden plays a clanger-free blinder, you, TF, are not going to credit anybody but Joel Bowden. I'd love to see you praise Danny for one of Bowden's great games.

I'll praise Frawley when I think he's done something worth praising.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Sounds like you spent a week at Tigerland KL? Funny how it must have slipped your mind to mention it.
roll.gif

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
didn't you know Rosy ???

Soooo sorry ;D ;D

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
TF, if a player keeps making the same mistakes, surely that says something about the player?

Take Richo for example. How many different coaches has he had? How many different experts have tried to improve his kicking? How many times have you heard him say "They go through at training. It's just a matter of putting it together during the game." When does the end result become attributable to Richo and not the coach???

And what about the players who have blossomed under Frawley eg Chaffey, Kellaway, Coughlan? I guess you'll say that is despite him. You can't have it both ways - either you have an open mind about him or you can't see anything but the negatives. I'm afraid it seems like the latter.