There is no such thing as home ground advantage. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

There is no such thing as home ground advantage.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

There is no such thing as home ground advantage because no on can give more than 100%. Those of you who are believers in the homeground advantage myth may recall the 2020 finals series and Richmond.

*Well then why do do teams struggle to win on the road?*

Good teams don't struggle to win on the road. They win on the road. *smile* teams struggle. And perform below home ground expectation. (Mainly because they know they're *smile* but we'll get into that.) *smile* teams struggle all the time. More often away? I reckon.

*Then surely there is such a thing as away ground disadvantage.*

Maybe. What would account for that?

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
Can't explain it at all.
All I can remember is my footy playing days on oppo grounds.
Some grounds just took a while to get used to playing on.
Then the state of the ground, the leaning goalposts, the crowd, garbage boundary umpires, exposure of the ground to wind,
mud, rain, crap heavy footy.
But if you were good enough you beat your oppo, but it took a while!

Reactions: 3 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012

There is no such thing as home ground advantage because no on can give more than 100%. Those of you who are believers in the homeground advantage myth may recall the 2020 finals series and Richmond.

Good teams don't struggle to win on the road. They win on the road. *smile* teams struggle. And perform below home ground expectation. (Mainly because they know they're *smile* but we'll get into that.) *smile* teams struggle all the time. More often away? I reckon.

Except for GHMBNFHMBVFHNB stadium.

Hard to run the fat side when there isn't one.

I've never understood how there is only one Victorian side that's:

A) allowed to have a stand alone home ground.
B) allowed to build it to the dimensions of a bowling alley.

We play a non co-tenant 6 times in 2024 at the MCG.

6 times where it could be claimed we have the HG advantage. Out of 23 games.

The cats get that 10 times. At a ground with a legitimate advantage.

And it's not like they're a Perth side that has to travel interstate all the time either. Half their away games are in Melbourne.

It's messed up.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I remember playing basketball away games at Coburg stadium in the 70’s. Their homeground advantage was that if you got too far up in the second half the stands would empty onto the court and the ensuing brawl would stop the game.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

And it's not like they're a Perth side that has to travel interstate all the time either. Half their away games are in Melbourne.

It's messed up.
Not to mention they train on it too.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

It's messed up.
C) Get to keep all the profits from their taxpayer-funded stadium.

Given how often they play at the G, the Scats' only real away games are interstate, and maybe Marvel (one game there next year). Five interstate away games, two neutral interstate (Dogs in Adelaide, Suns in Darwin), six at the G.

Essington get 9 at Marvel and 8 at the G.

Reactions: 1 user

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Reckon Marvel has a huge home grown advantage............................against us.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Given how often they play at the G, the Scats' only real away games are interstate, and maybe Marvel (one game there next year). Five interstate away games, two neutral interstate (Dogs in Adelaide, Suns in Darwin), six at the G.

How many do Carlton get at Marvel and the G?

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne

D) Allocate 500 seats to oppo supporters, at least that's what I heard. So 0.5% of our members will be able to attend. Great for football!

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
What do the players say? Normally they never concede that there is a disadvantage playing away but will readily admit that a home crowd will get them over the line in a close game. This, of course, is unprovable in any objective way. But anecdotally, this counts against the visiting team. Points off Jack. Ultimately – does that make a difference on GF day when you’re an interstate team? The day when it really matters. It could with two evenly matched combatants.

Umpiring? Does that factor into away wins or losses? I don’t know the numbers – but the fact that we won 3 premierships whilst at the rectum end of frees for/against suggests that even if there were a home ground umpiring advantage it didn’t stop a good team from achieving. So points to Jack on that front.

Off-field conditions? Well, I suppose if you’re staying at a flea infested outer suburban motel next to an interstate truck weigh-lay with cold showers and reheated baked beans for brekkie then that would pose a bit of a barrier to decent on field performance. But we know that doesn’t happen anymore. Points to Jack again.

On-field conditions? For country footy – definitely. When one pitch is a clay bog and another is a gravelly weed bed then the home team is going to benefit. But at AFL level? They’re not running uphill to get to centre field at the MCG anymore – at least, not they like used to have to do. It’s been significantly flattened. Are other grounds similar? Even if that weren’t the case at other grounds – does it class as an advantage to the home side at the G? Unknowable. Same with any other perceived ground specific anomaly – could not prove it one way or another as to how it affected an outcome. Points split.

Outcome: merciful Gods who knows! Just give me the 2020 Tiggies at the G on GF day against any dynasty team from the last 25 years and I’ll be hanging a black and yellow Weg poster on my wall the next day. The reason – the Tiger army, of course!

Last edited:

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Historically, the home team wins around 60% of the time. Of course that fluctuates season to season but overall, whatever the reasons, the home team wins more often.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
There's a multitude of ways to look at these things. Whilst there's some discussions about "objective" ways to look at things, I'd suggest the following:

Umpiriing decisions for / against at home vs away for the same team. This would usually balance out whether a teams style of game sees a benefit from "the home town" umpires giving them more leniency/or more free kicks than away umpires do.
Win/loss record is usually higher for a team at home than away

Crowd noise has always been something which either consciously or subconsciouly impacts on umpires decisions. Less of a factor in Australia, but there's places overseas where the referees have had things thrown at them (basketball world cup, the home fans threw coins at the referees and visiting team), several referees have been murdered in Sth America (including one being beheaded by irate fans). Those types of factors have inflienced refereeing decisions, Umpires in Australia get securty guards to walk them through crowds for a reason, but maybe not to avoid beheadings.

Playing away takes more out of you physically. Earlier morning/late night flights, sleeping in hotel rooms or your own bed, disruption of normal routine at home, etc.
There may also be less support staff around you away than at home. Sure all the necessary people go, but maybe not everyone. In the old days of the NBL (I gave up following closely when the Titans slaughtered the memory of NMGiants) only a couple of clubs had won both games of the Doomsday Double (Adelaide/Perth in consecutive nights).

Familiarity with your home ground vs those who don't play there often. This is probably the one thing that negates a lot of Home Ground Advantage for Melbourne based teams. Clubs tend to play at your venue multiple times a year, so the "mysticism" of the venue is gone. There's also very little fatigue or disruption from playing "away" at a venue in Melbourne vs playing away interstate. Look at things like humidity, heat, wind (getting used to kicking with one blowing around a ground), firmness of the ground.

Home Ground Advantage is definitely a thing, but I'd argue more situational for Melbourne based clubs than permanent.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Historically, the home team wins around 60% of the time. Of course that fluctuates season to season but overall, whatever the reasons, the home team wins more often.
2023 results were 118-87-2 to the home team

Geelong were 8-4 at home and 2-8-1 away to reinforce the point made by others. Not sure what their Kardinia Park record was

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

I do beleive it to be a thing but not to the extent which it is reported. #VicBias died in '20 as we all saw, the vics get nowhere near the H&A advantage the victim card users from interstate claim we do. They get a bigger advantage than we do in terms of home ground.

Reactions: 1 user