This Dynasty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

This Dynasty

vernissage

Tiger Matchwinner
May 28, 2005
We are very fortunate to have a modern dynasty with multiple players reaching serious milestones.

The Big one: Royce or Dusty as our greatest player? Or at least our best no 4 in the last 60 years.
Riewoldt the modern master or Richo? Have either supplanted Roach?
Cotchin or Knights or the Flea, Weightman?
Now that Clay is an immortal where do Rance and Grimes sit in the Pantheon? Gaspar?
Deledio? Tony Free? Lambert? Cogs? Cambo? Prestia, the Kanes ( Johnson & Lambert)?

There has to be a lot re-written in the future. It was a given that Premiership Players are iconic. but Richo, Knights, Campbell, Newman and most of Flea's career is in the forgotten years.: where do they sit as Greats; Hall of Famers? Is Bachar a modern day Sheedy? Where does Shane Edward's contribution fit in? Has he surpassed the Great Maurice Rioli?

Lots of questions how our modern greats compare with Hafey's Heroes.

One for Rhett perhaps.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Interesting discussion. Mathematically you could argue that winning two flags in an 18 team competition is on a par with winning three in a 12 team competition - in each case, there were 36 "teams" trying to win those flags. So the players who played in all three of 2017-19-20 exceed those who played in four of 1967-1980. Only Bartlett and Bourke who played in all five are ahead of the current dynasty.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Never compare eras, totally different levels of professionalism, tactics and rule adjudication. Simply happy to sit back and appreciate the superb capabilities of our champions.

Reactions: 10 users

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Michael Green or Shaun Grigg 2 outstanding Ruckman during our dynasties. In all seriousness they are all legends for our great club. Jack, Cotch and Tiger King montys to be officially recognised as legions by the club I would think

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
My memory goes back to 1980. Quick, first-thought best 22/44 in my time:

B: Grimes Rance Vlastuin
HB: D.Rioli Jess Houli
C: Deledio Martin Wood
HF: Bartlett Richardson Brown
F: Riewoldt Lynch Weightman
R: Nankervis Cotchin M.Rioli
I: Bolton Prestia Edwards Roach

Reserves
B: Broad Astbury Gaspar
HB: Keane Hogg Bowden
C: Campbell Raines M.Pickering
HF: K.Lambert Cloke Rowlings
F: Wiley Taylor Ottens
R: Lee Coughlan Knights
I: Foley C.Lambert D.Kellaway Merenda

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008

Reserves
Nice try Spook,but I reckon change Rioli for Keane,Roach for Lynch,Lee for Nanks,Wiley for Brown,Raines for Lids. Reincarnate those and six flags on the trot.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We are very fortunate to have a modern dynasty with multiple players reaching serious milestones.

The Big one: Royce or Dusty as our greatest player? Or at least our best no 4 in the last 60 years.
Riewoldt the modern master or Richo? Have either supplanted Roach?
Cotchin or Knights or the Flea, Weightman?
Now that Clay is an immortal where do Rance and Grimes sit in the Pantheon? Gaspar?
Deledio? Tony Free? Lambert? Cogs? Cambo? Prestia, the Kanes ( Johnson & Lambert)?

There has to be a lot re-written in the future. It was a given that Premiership Players are iconic. but Richo, Knights, Campbell, Newman and most of Flea's career is in the forgotten years.: where do they sit as Greats; Hall of Famers? Is Bachar a modern day Sheedy? Where does Shane Edward's contribution fit in? Has he surpassed the Great Maurice Rioli?

Lots of questions how our modern greats compare with Hafey's Heroes.

One for Rhett perhaps.
Mike Green, Mark the General Lee or Nank ? Now that is a tough one.

The General is in the same boat as Flea Weightman, he played a lot of his career in a struggling side, but he was a great ruckman. As a *20* year old kid, he gave 1979 Brownlow medalist Peter Moore a bath in the 1980 Grand Final.

I have to give mention to Whale Roberts...............now there was a man after my own heart.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Reserves

great effort.

very hard exercise and there wouldn't be 2 tiger fans in the world would sort those 44 the same.

i think id find a way to squeeze Matty Knights and Rainesy into the ones, maybe at the expense of Bachar and Danny??

that's just me because I'm such a sucker for an old fashion centre-man

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
great effort.

very hard exercise and there wouldn't be 2 tiger fans in the world would sort those 44 the same.

i think id find a way to squeeze Matty Knights and Rainesy into the ones, maybe at the expense of Bachar and Danny??

that's just me because I'm such a sucker for an old fashion centre-man
I initially had Knights in the ones, then realised I'd left out Shai. Put Dusty in the twos and they could beat the ones, so yeah, you could slice and dice 'em many ways. Still couldn't find spots for Free, Baker and A.Kellaway among others.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Excellent effort spook. You put some thought into that & agree with nearly all that.
I'd probably lean towards the General (in his prime) over Nank despite the 3 flags.
Nank no doubt has had a better career though so not too fussed. maybe Dusty at HF instead of Browny so I can put Pretty boy in the middle.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I initially had Knights in the ones, then realised I'd left out Shai. Put Dusty in the twos and they could beat the ones, so yeah, you could slice and dice 'em many ways. Still couldn't find spots for Free, Baker and A.Kellaway among others.
I’m even going to try, too hard.

You have left a few decent players out. Broderick, Naish, Daffy, Johnson, Poole, Newman, Gale, Ottens, Cameron. Not saying they should be but there is some quality in the 3rds.

Francis Bourke and David Cloke were also in the 80 premiership team

Reactions: 1 user