Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

On the one occasion they should have tanked, they didn't. Ironic.
It's rather funny really.
Melbourne tanked and got 2 spuds while we got Dustin Martin.
Carlton tanked and got Kruiser while we got a triple premiership captain.
Norf, like us didn't tank and look to have got reamed right up the fundamental orifice!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
We need to do better. He’s ok while we are rebuilding, but must be upgraded once the list improves.

Reactions: 2 users
He would be good in a local footy club.
He gets the ball ok, but he can't kick.
1 stage in the 3rd qtr we win the centre clearance but the time he takes to kick it turns into a turnover.
And the 1 that ends his career at Punt Rd he allows Merrett to get goal side of him, while he jogs in the back ground.
That goal ended any chance we had.
He needs to do 4 ultra marathons over the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Was ok? Ok IMO.
Thought he was better than that. Got his spacing right, went when he had to and linked better and took the first option more often. Yeah a couple of times it was a dump kick but sometimes a dump kick and re-set is the best option.

Thought he was better than that. Got his spacing right, went when he had to and linked better and took the first option more often. Yeah a couple of times it was a dump kick but sometimes a dump kick and re-set is the best option.
Agreed. He was playing amongst better company with a fit Dion and Bakes.
So batting #3 (or have i missed someone?)
He looked better.
Lets play him the second half of the year and see how he goes

Finished with 21 disposals, 9th(?) most of all players on the night yet according to the stats he was the 21st ranked player.

People around here like to dismiss stats (particularly when it doesn’t support their views) but in this instance it’s is 100% bang on. Dow is a very ineffective player.

Thought he was better. Helps having Prestia/Baker in the middle and Nank dominated Goldy most of the night.

Kicking ain't great, but play him till the end of the year and see if he can keep making incremental improvement.

Agreed. He was playing amongst better company with a fit Dion and Bakes.
So batting #3 (or have i missed someone?)
He looked better.
Lets play him the second half of the year and see how he goes
If you go back to the Freo game you can see that the he's being used a little more as the link guy. Now he has a set in the mid and takes on a contest and then goes to be an outlet. He's learning.

I think you may have missed Kane Mc who provides another tough inside player and that frees Thomson up a little as well. With Shai and Liam in the mids last night we had more speed and stopped easy outlets by the Dons.

I am pleased we are investing games in him (and others), but I struggle to see the upside where he becomes a legit AFL midfielder

Would very happy to be wrong....

If you go back to the Freo game you can see that the he's being used a little more as the link guy. Now he has a set in the mid and takes on a contest and then goes to be an outlet. He's learning.

I think you may have missed Kane Mc who provides another tough inside player and that frees Thomson up a little as well. With Shai and Liam in the mids last night we had more speed and stopped easy outlets by the Dons.
I didnt miss KMac!
He was terrific in his 4th? game. Youre right he probably bats higher than Dow. Thats helping Tommy find his right place. Good analysis HK

The good.
Far more willing to do some hard stuff.
Elite vision and hands in congestion.
Thats it.

Bad.
Wrong body type as long term inside mid.
He has ONE KICK. 45m straight line wedge.
Doesn't get it enough.
No scoring.
Zero game impact/changing ability.
Form still fluctuating pretty wildly.
Slow.

Tonight was one of his better games. Doesn't look like he is going anywhere.

The good.
Far more willing to do some hard stuff.
Elite vision and hands in congestion.
Thats it.

Bad.
Wrong body type as long term inside mid.
He has ONE KICK. 45m straight line wedge.
Doesn't get it enough.
No scoring.
Zero game impact/changing ability.
Form still fluctuating pretty wildly.
Slow.

Tonight was one of his better games. Doesn't look like he is going anywhere.
That’s about it.

He would be good in a local footy club.
He gets the ball ok, but he can't kick.
1 stage in the 3rd qtr we win the centre clearance but the time he takes to kick it turns into a turnover.
And the 1 that ends his career at Punt Rd he allows Merrett to get goal side of him, while he jogs in the back ground.
That goal ended any chance we had.
He needs to do 4 ultra marathons over the summer.
He can't get any quicker at this stage of his career. TOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOW

Reactions: 1 user
He's doing his best. Although once we are at full strength and add a couple of elite midfield kids to the lineup next year he may struggle to hold his place. That's because, as noted above, he has perhaps one too many deficiencies that limit his ability to play other roles.

Thought he was better. Helps having Prestia/Baker in the middle and Nank dominated Goldy most of the night.

Kicking ain't great, but play him till the end of the year and see if he can keep making incremental improvement.
I thought he was ok last night, did a lot of good work in the clearance in a side who dominated the clearances, certainly for the first 3 quarters.

He can keep playing as long as that doesn't take games away from McAuliffe, but personally I'd prefer we were playing Sonsie in Does spot. I think he has more upside as a mid than Dow does, and I don't think Sonsie is that good as a HFF but better as a mid. Its almost because he can play a 2nd position that he loses out and because Dow doesn't then he gets all the midfield minutes.

He's going OK all things considered. He's willing in the clinches. That's a solid thing to hang your hat on. He's not a starting mid in a top side sure, but he's making a contribution.

There's quite a few ahead of him in the under-the-pump queue.

Reactions: 4 users