Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
That’s what I noticed on the replay, his work off the ball was way way below par. I know some saw a lot of positives in his performance, I was extremely underwhelmed tbh.

let’s see what happens in his 2nd game.
You. Need to watch more debutants games rather than compare him to how Dustin Martin went , 12p with half of them contested , couple of tackles was a good debut by anyone’s estimation

Reactions: 5 users

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
You. Need to watch more debutants games rather than compare him to how Dustin Martin went , 12p with half of them contested , couple of tackles was a good debut by anyone’s estimation

Been watching footy for 40 yrs, reckon I’ve seen my fair share debuts. When did I compare him to dusty? He’s work off the ball was below par. Fact. Let’s see what he brings in his 2nd game.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
That’s what I noticed on the replay, his work off the ball was way way below par. I know some saw a lot of positives in his performance, I was extremely underwhelmed tbh.

let’s see what happens in his 2nd game.

I agree, but fingers crossed it’s just a fitness thing.

One thing that didn’t concern me at the time but did later, was that Thomsons tackle attempts were merely outstretched arms in the general direction of the ball carrier, which was easily brushed aside.

This didn’t bother me until today when I watched his brother Paddy VS Collingwood doing the same thing. Speaking to a Carlton mate this afternoon, he said Paddy’s tackling technique was a genuine issue that hasn’t been corrected.

Should be an easy fix, but Thomson has really gotta really work on this if he wants to play more senior footy.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Franga youre right Dow wasnt good enough off the ball.
Not acceptable in a mature player but for mine its ok for a debutant.

It probably wasnt a lack of endeavour.
He worked hard, gritted teeth and committed all night.
Thought at times he was ball watching/stopped after the contest/ exhausted to stay switched on and continue working defensively. Shuey got away from him a few times. Its what Dimma wanted.
Will have learnt heaps

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Different positions but if I compare him to Naish, I’d take Dow every day of the week

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Good debut and reckon he will be a player once he fills out.

However the whips are cracking now and you'd think a ross caddy or higgins would offer more atm

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Franga youre right Dow wasnt good enough off the ball.
Not acceptable in a mature player but for mine its ok for a debutant.

It probably wasnt a lack of endeavour.
He worked hard, gritted teeth and committed all night.
Thought at times he was ball watching/stopped after the contest/ exhausted to stay switched on and continue working defensively. Shuey got away from him a few times. Its what Dimma wanted.
Will have learnt heaps
I dare say he was under instructions to go out there and do what he does best , hearing of the kids qualities I’m sure the Richmond man aspect to his game will come

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
From the bounce in the second quarter Nank was getting absolutely humped by Naitanui. It was carnage.

The second CB. Naitanui casually pops it down to the bolting Shuey. Simple clearance, almost certain WCE goal. (Ruck rout two plays in.) Dow got hold of Shuey. He saw it unfold, got to Shuey and forced a turnover. Goal to Richmond.

Running down a rampaging mid at a CB is gold. Dow's goal. 12pt play.

Probably enough to get him another game. I hope so.

And the five times he got to the loose just as another Richmond player did? First-gamer? Getting there. Very good stuff.

Reactions: 6 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
From the bounce in the second quarter Nank was getting absolutely humped by Naitanui. It was carnage.

The second CB. Naitanui casually pops it down to the bolting Shuey. Simple clearance, almost certain WCE goal. (Ruck rout two plays in.) Dow got hold of Shuey. He saw it unfold, got to Shuey and forced a turnover. Goal to Richmond.

Running down a rampaging mid at a CB is gold. Dow's goal. 12pt play.

Probably enough to get him another game. I hope so.

And the five times he got to the loose just as another Richmond player did? First-gamer? Getting there. Very good stuff.
Nice hands in close.
Fills out and will be more confident to hit packs.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Keep him in.
Did enough against apparently the best side in the comp.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Full video of the jumper presentation up now. Dave did a great job.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Elite bootlace level hands on display a couple of times in the first quarter.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Glimpses of those Edwards-like hands. Hard to see him staying in next week, but great for him to get a taste.