Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

D Rioli, Shai, McKauliffe, Sonsie
You do know there are 3 mids inside the square? Mac K not getting a game due to conditioning reasons, Shai? We need him at every line, sonsie- starting to get a run but 0 tackles last week, d Rioli starting to get time there with short back. I think Dow has been really sub standard. I thought he was getting harshly judged on here so backed him for a while but unfortunately he’s all we have on the shelf with all the outs who can handle the minutes. At his best he almost belongs there but unfortunately that is not good enough. Tm’s point is a good one.

He’s moved into the spot of no 1 whipping boy here. I wonder if it’s a little like Dimma and Edwards. Many of us here couldn’t see it and wanted him dropped, but Hardwick kept playing him, and he became a 3 time Premiership hero and 300 game legend.

Reactions: 1 user
He would have been delisted at another club who had drafted some decent mids but unfortunately he is one of the few mids we have so he is getting games. He wouldn't get games in a team competing for finals.

D Rioli, Shai, McKauliffe, Sonsie
Ummm,
Sonz, played last week so Dow didn't pinch any of his minutes, also Sonz plays a way different mid role.
McKauliffe, yeah nah. Maybe soon, he'll probably get some more senior games this year, but they'll be limited.
Sausage Rioli, has never played as a mid fielder in his entire AFL career. Played small forward n running defender. Would require a coaching rethink.
Shai, already plays a combo of midfield and forward for us. Excellent in both positions and probably our most creative forward at the moment.
Dusty??? Why not throw his name in there as well? He's plays a similar but much older role to Shai some mid some forward n both he n Shai would probably struggle to maintain four qtrs of pure midfield game therefore they do some rotating of roles between them.

Guess what? Dow still aint stealing anyone's midfield minutes.

I would like to see Dow playing along side Dion, Jacob, Tarranto in the same games, then judge him.

Reactions: 5 users
Did Dow attend any centre bounces on Sunday?
I cant remember any. We pushed Shai and Dusty into full time roles alongside Bakes Pickett and Sonsie.
(Did Shai go forward? I cant remember him camped there. Dusty did)

It looked to me that Tommy was playing at HH. But not the traditional Lambert High HF. Was he switchIng up with Dusty and chading loose ball gets?
Scooper has a good point that Dow is a swooper.
Interesting, Ooze playing him to his strengths.

Did Dow attend any centre bounces on Sunday?
I cant remember any. We pushed Shai and Dusty into full time roles alongside Bakes Pickett and Sonsie.
(Did Shai go forward? I cant remember him camped there. Dusty did)

It looked to me that Tommy was playing at HH. But not the traditional Lambert High HF. Was he switchIng up with Dusty and chading loose ball gets?
Scooper has a good point that Dow is a swooper.
Interesting, Ooze playing him to his strengths.

Dow attended 10 CBA;s.

Shai was forward a lot of the time as the deepest forward.

I get that it appears Dow is a swooper, but his ground ball gets aren't great, averages 5 which is graded average by the AFL (averages less per game than Jack Graham for example).

He’s moved into the spot of no 1 whipping boy here. I wonder if it’s a little like Dimma and Edwards. Many of us here couldn’t see it and wanted him dropped, but Hardwick kept playing him, and he became a 3 time Premiership hero and 300 game legend.
We can only hope.

Ummm,
Sonz, played last week so Dow didn't pinch any of his minutes, also Sonz plays a way different mid role.
McKauliffe, yeah nah. Maybe soon, he'll probably get some more senior games this year, but they'll be limited.
Sausage Rioli, has never played as a mid fielder in his entire AFL career. Played small forward n running defender. Would require a coaching rethink.
Shai, already plays a combo of midfield and forward for us. Excellent in both positions and probably our most creative forward at the moment.
Dusty??? Why not throw his name in there as well? He's plays a similar but much older role to Shai some mid some forward n both he n Shai would probably struggle to maintain four qtrs of pure midfield game therefore they do some rotating of roles between them.

Guess what? Dow still aint stealing anyone's midfield minutes.
His 10 CBAs from Sunday should go to the others. Simples. And yes it does need a coaching re-think.

He gets a game because Jack Ross is the best performed midfielder drafted in Matt Clarke's seven years. He wouldn't be playing at any other league club except maybe North.

His 10 CBAs from Sunday should go to the others. Simples.
You do realise that clubs rotate easily 7 or 8 mid players through various combinations during games? Take out Prestia, Hopper, Taranto, Ross, then with Dusty n Shai playing the forward mid combo. There's not really a whole lot of midfield capable senior experienced players to pick from. Fridge also injured so we can't fudge him through either.
So then we're down to picking from
Bakes, a midget sized play everywhere type.
Foosh, a winger who we've been asking to play forward, ruck, mid tagger.
Raaalph, a winger or back flank.
McCauliffe, a big kid who's in his first season n played all of two or three qtrs of senior footy.
Kmac, a winger who's struggling for game time at the moment.
Sausage Rioli, played his career as a forward flank or back flank.
Banks / Sonz another couple of young n inexperienced mids who are struggling to consolidate their place in the side.

Who else we got? Oh wait I know there's a skinny young scrapper who's maybe not real good but at least he's 22y.o. n got twenty five games under the belt who actually plays his career as a mid fielder.
Even if we rotate all of these blokes through the midfield to accompany Shai n Dusty each game. Guess what? We're still grossly undermanned in the midfield, there's simply SFA of any proper value to replace Dow with until some of those senior blokes get back.

Reactions: 2 users
One thing I have seen about Dow that sets him apart from the rest of his team mates. For some weird reason the umpires do give him free kicks for high tackles.

• Wow
Dow attended 10 CBA;s.

Shai was forward a lot of the time as the deepest forward.

I get that it appears Dow is a swooper, but his ground ball gets aren't great, averages 5 which is graded average by the AFL (averages less per game than Jack Graham for example).

Bolton was at 83% of CBA’s, Dow 41%. Both were in our top three mids for CBA. The other was Baker.